Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Cruze LS in Silver Ice Metallic, 1.4 L Turbo
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone.

I've seen a few articles on this site about removing the intake resonator on a Gen 1 Cruze, one even detailing the different steps. As I don't really trust myself to figure it out on my own without breaking something, I ask if anyone knows how to go about removing it on a Gen 2, if possible. I'm not asking for the painstaking work of a step-by-step tutorial, but I would appreciate any help or advice you've got. Thanks!

·
Registered
959 Posts
If it's like literally every other vehicle I've seen in the past 20+ years, there is no reason to remove it. It doesn't affect power. What it does is to tune the intake to remove annoying resonance. Remove the resonator and you generally end up with an air intake that drones, throbs, flutters, or other words to describe annoying sounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's like literally every other vehicle I've seen in the past 20+ years, there is no reason to remove it. It doesn't affect power. What it does is to tune the intake to remove annoying resonance. Remove the resonator and you generally end up with an air intake that drones, throbs, flutters, or other words to describe annoying sounds.
I see. I was under the impression that it would improve throttle response and increase turbo noise. Thanks!

·
Registered
959 Posts
it would improve throttle response and increase turbo noise
If you like the noise, do it.

How much does it increase throttle response? Is it something desirable to you and very noticeable to you? If it does these things, do it.

Almost everything in life has trade-offs. If perceivable negatives are less than the positives, do it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,764 Posts
I don't expect it would affect throttle response but, like a CAI (on these cars, technically an SRI), it's mainly for sound anymore.

99% of the buyers don't want to hear all the cool intake/turbo noises the cars can make, so the manufacturers will quell that down with various resonators, but the intake tracts/air boxes are as efficient as they can be, since efficiency is a big deal these days.

The stock resonator in my Cobalt, which was the first thing I removed, was absolutely enormous. Filled the entire area in the bumper under the air box. Didn't change throttle response, but sounded a lot cooler inside the car.

If you're going for more intake/turbo noises, I'd say definitely go for it! I enjoy all the noises our 1st gen CTD makes with the intake on it.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
It will definitely make more cool noises with it removed, but there not real simple way, it requires destruction and modification, or fabrication to replace it

·
Registered
959 Posts
99% of the buyers don't want to hear all the cool intake/turbo noises the cars can make, so the manufacturers will quell that down with various resonators
Even naturally aspirated vehicles often have resonators. I remember selling my cousin's Ford Probe (probably a 1991 or a 1992?) to a co-worker for really cheap money after a small accident. He repaired the front clip and then was doing some basic engine work, and the intake tube had a huge resonator on it. "What the heck is that for? That's coming off..." and then the car had a loud, droning resonance at certain engine speeds where a fluttering, groaning sound filled the cabin of the vehicle.

I don't remember how he fixed it. He might have had to go to the junkyard to find a stock intake to put the resonator back on, or maybe he fabbed up a cold air intake to change the length of the stock intake tube. Either way, there was definitely some resonance going on that a (guess why it's named this!) RESONATOR was able to eliminate!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are always so responsive and helpful. Thanks for all the replies!😄

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,981 Posts
I don't think there is one on the Gen 2 1.4. There's a snorkel piece that goes straight to the front of the car and then a cone filter inside the box. Not a ton of plumbing in the way, and the turbo is pretty audible.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I don't think there is one on the Gen 2 1.4. There's a snorkel piece that goes straight to the front of the car and then a cone filter inside the box. Not a ton of plumbing in the way, and the turbo is pretty audible.
It's part of the intake duct from the airbox to the turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts