Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to replace the infotainment screen on the Cruze or remove it all together and put storage in its place? It is a 2011 LT and out of warranty. The screen must've gone bad at some point, and just always shows "Elapsed Time 0:00" now. Took it to the shop, they told me it is defective and needs replaced. Radio, and all alerts do not currently work; Turn signal sounds, etc. I bought an aftermarket double DIN radio to install, trying to figure out the best place to put it. Ideally, I would like to put it in the same spot as the bad screen. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The screen must've gone bad at some point, and just always shows "Elapsed Time 0:00" now. Took it to the shop, they told me it is defective and needs replaced. Radio, and all alerts do not currently work; Turn signal sounds, etc.
Uhhh, if a TV set can't tune HBO, it's the fault of the picture tube? Sounds to me like you've got a bum radio. I'm not seeing evidence of a problem with the screen. You're saying the radio isn't working. Guess what drives the screen?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the shop I took it to said the screen is wired in series and they weren't able to get output from it. They also said a new one has to get programmed by the dealer. Is this true or can I just swap it for a new one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Well the shop I took it to said the screen is wired in series and they weren't able to get output from it.
Looking at my book, the radio goes between the screen and anything else. It's possible the screen is messing up the radio, but I wouldn't make any bets on it.

If you replace the radio, you'd need one that can interface to the car's bus or do without those features.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at my book, the radio goes between the screen and anything else. It's possible the screen is messing up the radio, but I wouldn't make any bets on it.

If you replace the radio, you'd need one that can interface to the car's bus or do without those features.
I did buy the module that lets the new radio still interface with the alerts. But worried with the bad screen those still won't work. I guess I will find out when the parts arrive tomorrow.

http://imgur.com/M93X73Q that is a picture of the screen currently.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I did buy the module that lets the new radio still interface with the alerts.
But that's different from still having access to the menu items.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet that is a picture of the screen currently.
I'm not sure where the circuit that translates stuff to the bitmap is done. It could be memory error in the radio causing a bad bitmap, or could be bad screen decoder circuit. I don't have any info on the "division of labor" between the two units.

Reactions: brian v

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did buy the module that lets the new radio still interface with the alerts.
But that's different from still having access to the menu items.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet that is a picture of the screen currently.
I'm not sure where the circuit that translates stuff to the bitmap is done. It could be memory error in the radio causing a bad bitmap, or could be bad screen decoder circuit. I don't have any info on the "division of labor" between the two units.
Okay so maybe I'll see something when o replace the radio then

1 - 9 of 9 Posts