Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering, for those of you that have worked on the accessory side of the engine, and either removed motor mount, or the water pump, do you need to support the engine to remove the serpentine belt?

It appears based on procedures you do, but I was wondering if there's any 1.4L experience out there. How much does the engine tilt/move when you remove that engine mount and bracket?

I have no issues that require immediate assistance, but I'm suspecting that most of us home guys don't have engine lifts to attach to the engine lift points to provide support.

Any idea's from anyone that has done a belt, alternator, or Water pump on the 1.4?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't done any of these repairs to my cruze, as it has 12000 miles. But I'd have to look closer to know if the mount has to come off for the belt. I it does you could put a floor jack with a piece of wood on it under the oil pan the. Remove the mount and you can then use the jack to manipulate the motor.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Matt-jahn-

Yea it looks like some have jacked from the oil pan, but the manual shows lifting from the top using an engine crane on the front left engine hook as you face the engine.

I'm not a fan of pressure on an aluminum oil pan, and really don't want to buy an engine lift to do nearly anything on the accessory side of the engine compartment.

Hopefully this is a long time away, but it seems like there's going to have to be a new trick to work on the cruze. Maybe an engine support bar would work rather than a full lift, but there's not much of an inner fender to use such a device.

I was thinking that the guys who did the TTR Engine Mount must have done something. Are they all lifting from the oil pan? I still have an unmodified belly pan, so I'm not sure what type of structure is down there to lift from. I'm guessing just the pan, and not a support structure.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
All you have to do to lift from the pan is put a folded rag/old shirt on the jack, and put it on the jack near the corner of the pan where it's strong.

Done.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I used s centered 2x4 (centered on the jack)

Sent from my MB886 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Always a good idea also. Wide weight distribution.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'd use a 2x4 and a jack under the oil pan.

I don't have the owner's manual in front of me to see when it recommends replacement. The serpentine belt should be good for at least 75-100k miles, I'd think.

At least the bolts look like they're easy to get to. Whether they'll be a rusty nightmare by that point is another issue...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts