Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT RS. Great shape and condition until now the P0299 cel kept coming up and soon enough figured out it was the turbo.

But im not sure what to do. A new turbo in canada is $800 and the wastegate is about $125.00 (from the dealerships). The car has nooooo power at all and Im sick and tired of getting in other peoples way.

If the only two serviceable things on the turbo is the wastegate and the turbo itself, and being told by the gm tech that its the wastegate pivot pin.

Why would I spend $800 if I can get away with $125? or am i missing something?

Also if anyone knows of some good instructions/repair manuals for the cruze pretaining to the turbo, I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought that the wastegate was part of the exhaust manifold and that the entire assembly was a remove and replace operation. Also, it could be the pivot pins have corroded and I'm pretty sure they are not replaceable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,548 Posts
The whole thing is cast into the exhaust manifold, unfortunately. Not your typical turbo that bolts to a flange at the end of it.

Great for cost-effectiveness and drivability...until it has to be replaced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I believe it's the pivot pin. But why would GM sell just the waste gate if the entire thing needs to be replaced????

Not to mention a tsb..

But thanks so much for your help. I hope I can figure out how to remove the old and install the new

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
The waste gate pins are a known weak point so I suspect your dealer tech is correct. I believe there is a TSB or an entry in Sandy Blogs about this.

·
16,548 Posts
The wastegate actuator is external to the turbo. It sits on top and moves the metal arm that connects to the wastegate pin which controls the wastegate inside the turbo. The last two, wastegate and pin, are cast as a part of the whole turbo/exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Just to clarify, I believe the $125 part is the waste gate actuator, not the waste gate itself. As detailed before, the exhaust manifold, turbo, waste gate, and pivot pins are a single assembly part number ($800). The next question is: does the exhaust manifold come with a gasket, or is that a separate part number?

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
$1.00 us = $1.23 can

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hijacking this thread with similar comments.... I'm out of warranty by ONE MONTH :dry: and my car just started throwing the P0299 code.

Looking at this diagram, it seems like one should just be able to replace part #5 - the wastegate, no?

I'm not sure I understand why you would have to replace the entire turbo assembly... UNLESS the part that wears is this bit inside the turbo itself

Thoughts anyone? Would rather not have to purchase/replace this whole unit if at all possible

·
16,548 Posts
Hijacking this thread with similar comments.... I'm out of warranty by ONE MONTH :dry: and my car just started throwing the P0299 code.

Looking at this diagram, it seems like one should just be able to replace part #5 - the wastegate, no?

I'm not sure I understand why you would have to replace the entire turbo assembly... UNLESS the part that wears is this bit inside the turbo itself

Thoughts anyone? Would rather not have to purchase/replace this whole unit if at all possible
The PIN that wears out is part of the turbo assembly itself - where the rod from the wastegate actuator connects to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread my experiences on recent events with my 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco. I currently just got my car back from the dealer after replacing the original turbo due to a hairline crack coming from the wastegate housing inside the turbo. Now the only reason I found this, was due to installing a catless exhaust system and getting a P0299 code. We looked up what this code was and started researching possible concerns. We found many articles as well as youtube videos on what to look for and sure enough there it was. So we re-assembled everything back to stock and took to dealer, where they installed new turbo under warranty. Good luck everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts