Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, bought my daughter a 2015 cruze with the 1.4 The BCM got wet and it would do really weird stuff, so after reading and being around GM cars I bought a BCM off of Ebay with correct part #. It fixed everything but no start, service anti theft is on, radio says locked, and key FOB is inop. I am asking for a procedure to get the car started to take to the dealer, I replaced the BCM in my wifes 2010 vette and it was the 30min on off procedure to get it to start to drive to dealer. Do I do the same? Just want to get mobile to get to dealer for radio and other maintenance.
Thanks in advance
Lane

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
BCM got wet.

Would this be one of the thousands of flood cars with salvage titles? If so the root problem may be deeper than the BCM.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The car's VIN is in several modules (including the radio). They all have to match or it thinks you've got stolen parts. Odds are you'll have to tow it to the dealer. Or put the old BCM in and limp there. The tools to fix it probably cost more than the tow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BCM got wet.

Would this be one of the thousands of flood cars with salvage titles? If so the root problem may be deeper than the BCM.
It was very low water, the BCM was barley in water, it is located so low it did not take much, I wanted to buy my daughter a car with the safety features and mileage, with a little work it should make her a nice first car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car's VIN is in several modules (including the radio). They all have to match or it thinks you've got stolen parts. Odds are you'll have to tow it to the dealer. Or put the old BCM in and limp there. The tools to fix it probably cost more than the tow.

Yes sir i understand. There has to be a way to get it to fire, fuel pump kicks on among everything else working, I think it has to do with the theft deterrent system, I got to get it figured out, any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Correct. These new cars are more like a computer network on wheels. The Cruze was one of the first in this new generation. I'll try to remember to check the service manual I have for the 2013, but I'm pretty sure that the "correct" way to do it is to plug in the GM MDI, and from your computer log into GM's subscription service and have the "mother ship" program the car. That includes setting up the various feature (fog lights, etc) that the car was equipped with.

To date, I don't know as anyone on the forum had tried to go that route. It's possible with the GDI 2, an authentic GDI 1 might be a reasonable price now. There are Chinese knock-offs, but there's also horror stories from using them. And then there's still that issue about getting that subscription....

Here's a bit of background: GM Factory Scan Tools

One brave soul found that for the radio, the VIN was stored on a accessible chip and was able to buy a cheap programmer to do it. As a result, a few of us have done radio upgrades. Maybe there's something like the for the BCM, depending on how easily it comes apart and how low-level you're willing to dig.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, i would like to buy a tech 2 but the best solution is to take to dealer? BTW is there a starter relay to jump out? i have done that on my wife's old c5 to get it to dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, i would like to buy a tech 2 but the best solution is to take to dealer? BTW is there a starter relay to jump out? i have done that on my wife's old c5 to get it to dealer.
You could try, but I don't know as the ECM will cooperate. Without the ECM, the engine doesn't run because it controls the spark and injection. It's also a computer that connects to the car's main bus and I suspect it checks VINs before running.

Also, a Tech 2 may not work on the Cruze. The link I provided indicated you need a MDI. Again, the Cruze is of a newer generation than the cars just two years before.

Reactions: Tomko

·
10,712 Posts
You could try, but I don't know as the ECM will cooperate. Without the ECM, the engine doesn't run because it controls the spark and injection. It's also a computer that connects to the car's main bus and I suspect it checks VINs before running.

Also, a Tech 2 may not work on the Cruze. The link I provided indicated you need a MDI. Again, the Cruze is of a newer generation than the cars just two years before.
That plus OnStar to ByPass at that to start.

I hope a trip to dealer is the beginning and quick end of your troubles. Besides that the rest of the car like carpet and whatnot are still decent?

·
Registered
457 Posts
C5 electronics is ancient compared to the Cruze. And tech2 wont work on these cars. Also, used modules don't work either. http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=182965 Did a Cruze flood car a few years ago. If the BCM got wet, the airbag module may have as well. If it has power or heated seats, the connectors are on the floor and may be corroded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
C5 electronics is ancient compared to the Cruze. And tech2 wont work on these cars. Also, used modules don't work either. http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=182965 Did a Cruze flood car a few years ago. If the BCM got wet, the airbag module may have as well. If it has power or heated seats, the connectors are on the floor and may be corroded.
Will i be able to get it started with the MDI? the original BCM only done a couple of weird things?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts