Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a preliminary, only 2,000 miles on them-(4) Continental Pure Contacts 215/55R17, 94V. I don’t have enough data on them yet. But right from when they were installed, my MPG dropped & stayed lower as compared to one year ago. Right now I am saying 2.5-3%. Driving habits or routes have not changed since car was new. Same 37 PSI in them-cold. Might not seem like a lot, but on a 48 MPG car in warm weather, that is over 1 MPG. I could have saved some money by going with the Goodyear FuelMaxs. The Pure Contacts (Safety) are rated better, especially in the snow (my main complaint with the Goodyears)-I’ll report on that & the ride in the Tires Technical Discussion when I have more experience on them.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
New tires have a higher rolling resistance. Are those 51 PSI tires? If so try boosting your pressure as close to 51 as you can tolerate. After two days on my new Perellis I've already decided to boost to 50 PSI from 45.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I always loose(average) 3mpg with new tires, usually for the first 2,000 - 6,000 miles. I just replaced the factory 16in FR-710 on my 1LT, I got Hankook Optimo H727. First three top offs I dropped 3mpg, then 1mpg, then 2mpg, though less than 1000 miles on them so far. I'm filling once every 5-7days to keep tank full for winter.

I really wanted the Continental Pure Contacts on my car but decided with the medical bills I just got I should just get the best cheap tire I could find. Paid $95 a tire with a $40 rebate. My cruze also needed an alignment, both sides were toed with the passenger side being -15 degrees off.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Keep in mind that you are comparing 10/32" tires with worn-out 4/32" or lower tires. The new tires will show a slight decrease since they are larger and turning slightly less. That will impact the odometer a little bit. The old tires were also super-LRR tires thanks to having less tread squirm and being slightly aged. Older rubber is harder rubber.

Give it another few thousand miles, and you should be right back where you were a year ago.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:
I put 56,000 miles on these Conti Pure Contacts, they are worn out. I’ve been happy with their performance in most conditions. On snow & ice, when turning, Cruze still wants to go straight. Not enough weight up front-lack of downforce-snow tires would not help this issue. I lost over 1.5 MPG compared to the OEM Goodyear FuelMax, but a safer ride with an extra 15,000 miles of tread life. In the (3) years that I had them on, IMO, the market has nothing new out with better ratings in the 17” ECO size. In November, I purchased another set of these, expecting the same results.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Your fuel economy difference is primarily the result of rolling resistance and tire weight. The Eco tires are exceptionally lightweight for a 17" tire. Everything else I've seen weighs significantly more. That will always translate into a fuel economy penalty.

It's a penalty I'm more than happy to deal with to get a tire that provides better traction and safety in wet conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts