Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Where does one find that prefilter? Part number? All the ones I'm finding say Hydroshield on them. Or does it have labeling on two sides? The badge looks better than the silk screened Hydro....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Can we talk about these pre-filters on SRI? I'm a bit confused on the point. If your SRI gets hydrolock, I can promise you that you have seriously sunk the cruise. That means your entire engine block would be in water!

HOWEVER, I will say they do look nice and cosmetically add a nice touch.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can we talk about these pre-filters on SRI? I'm a bit confused on the point. If your SRI gets hydrolock, I can promise you that you have seriously sunk the cruise. That means your entire engine block would be in water!

Two benefits:

1. Filtering out large particles to extend the life of the filter.
2. Keeping splashes of water from getting sucked into the filter. Not all pre-filters are hydroscopic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
39 Posts

For me personally I like the look, plus when I look under the hood and see water spots and dirt and dust on my air box it just makes me feel better to have that extra protection for the filter, plus it might make the filter last a little longer

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Two benefits:

1. Filtering out large particles to extend the life of the filter.
2. Keeping splashes of water from getting sucked into the filter. Not all pre-filters are hydroscopic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#1 makes good sense but #2s benefit is minimal at best. Any light water splashes on the filter will not do any harm. The nice thing about using the K&N intake is the heat shield can work as a pre-pre filter.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Any one posted a video of the new setup? Just curious on the sound differences if any from the new filter versus K&N. If not, I'll be installing mine tomorrow night so I can do it then.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Well, I must say. I will never run another K&N filter. I cleaned the filter and intake itself thoroughly once when I first bought it (used) and once again in the middle of November. I've used K&N for years and am extremely meticulous when cleaning and re-oiling them making sure they are completely dry and letting the oil set-up before re-installing. These pics are after approx 14k miles from that November cleaning to last Wed.

Some note on these images. During this whole impromptu test, conditions for driving have almost continuously been on wet, salty roads or dry, salt dust covered state routes or freeways. The resonator is out of my car and when you reach down in the hole and feel the sound dampening material on the fenderwell, it is always soaked and the entire engine bay of my car looks like I use my car to help load the salt trucks.

That all being said, there is a night and day difference between the K&N and the Injen alternative. I already hocked the former to someone who is not so wise as to heed my advice and stay away from these.

You can see the smudges where I wiped some residue off with my finger.

You can also see where I wiped away dirt on the makeshift air straightener

Paper towel after cleaning inside of pipe...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yep... The K&N filter lets in 100 TIMES (Yes, TIMES) more dirt than the AC Delco filter, per the Spicer SAE test. The one on my CBR1100XX lets enough dirt in that I can tell when I've ridden down a gravel road by the level of silicate in the UOA.

Mike

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Installed mine last night and let me say this was a tight fit. But I got everything installed and running fine. It was way too late to try and take a video. The sound is similar but maybe a decibel or two quieter than the K&N (I did not have a K&N filter previously, so I'm basing my opinion off others videos).

What I was most surprised about was the weird oil smell that I had in my OE intake. It must have been the K&N panel filter but when I disconnected the main tube, I thought "man, do I have an oil leak or something". Mind you I just did my oil change last week. The K&N filter looked amazingly clean after ~10K miles as well as the OE airbox (25K miles on the car).

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
For the two days I ran this filter, it did seem slightly quieter. (Tune problem) I am very happy with it though. With the increase in overall surface area, I feel this will be able to longer in between cleanings and easily last as long as they are rated (4 years/ 100k miles)

Also, I was concerned with how close the filter was sitting to that fender weld seam. So I used a 2x2 square piece of adhesive backed 1/8" neoprene to avoid any rubbing that may occur due to engine movement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Brand New AEM Dry Cone Filter just sitting in my closet from my old car. Would that work? Assuming it fits the Intake Tubing?

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just wondering, this amsoil filter fixed the problem with air straightening and turbulence that the kn filter had? And it fits in the engine bay and wont rub at all?

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just wondering, this amsoil filter fixed the problem with air straightening and turbulence that the kn filter had? And it fits in the engine bay and wont rub at all?
It fixes the problem of poor filtration and high required maintenance. You can make it fit to where it won't rub just by adjusting the bolts on the intake. You probably won't have too big an issue with air turbulence but I would recommend the 2.75" air straightener that has been posted somewhere around here either way.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I didn't have an issue with it rubbing. It does seem slightly quieter than the K&N. Overall I'm satisfied, I put 50k miles on the K&N so it was nice to change it up.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts