Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 LT with ~96K miles on it. The wastegate is done and I am getting ready to replace it.

Question 1
I am wondering if the '16 and up turbos are a direct swap and offer any benefits over the '11-'15 turbos. It is a nightmare researching these Garrett turbos. I tried reaching out to Garrett, but they wouldn't share anything with me since they are for GM.

Question 2
What all should I be replacing while I am in there? I have read about the oil lines and plan on doing those, but is there anything else that needs to be done? Gaskets, vacuum lines, clamps, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Gen 1 has the turbo integrated into the exhaust manifold as whole. The whole thing has to be replaced, as it's cast as one piece. To change turbochargers, you'd have to have a custom exhaust manifold done, or buy one already done (there are a few out there).

BNR Racing sells an upgraded GTX turbo that works well with their tune and the very little displacement available to spool a larger turbo, if you're so inclined.

Gen 2 is a Mitsubishi turbo. The exhaust manifold is integrated into the head, and the turbo is a separate piece and bolts directly to that.

I'd change the oil feed lines, exhaust gasket, coolant lines, and turbo control vacuum lines. Everything else should be alright.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I believe there's some coolant hoses that feed the oil cooler that are only accessible with the turbo removed. I believe the coolant hoses attach to the oil filter metal assembly. This assembly also acts as a heat exchanger for the oil. Given nearly 100K mileage, I'd order nearly every rubber hose in that area that's behind the turbo, or even the turbo shield.

I hope you have a nice heated garage, this week is going to be brutal in Minnesota!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gen 1 has the turbo integrated into the exhaust manifold as whole. The whole thing has to be replaced, as it's cast as one piece. To change turbochargers, you'd have to have a custom exhaust manifold done, or buy one already done (there are a few out there).

BNR Racing sells an upgraded GTX turbo that works well with their tune and the very little displacement available to spool a larger turbo, if you're so inclined.

Gen 2 is a Mitsubishi turbo. The exhaust manifold is integrated into the head, and the turbo is a separate piece and bolts directly to that.

I'd change the oil feed lines, exhaust gasket, coolant lines, and turbo control vacuum lines. Everything else should be alright.
I should have looked at the turbo a little harder. I didn't realize it was integrated with the manifold. I am all for having extra power, but I am not going to drop that kind of coin on this car. I looked into the upgraded Garrett and $900 is just not worth it and I would be at that, or more, getting the manifold and turbo for the gen 2 to fit. I am already knee deep in a turbo swap on my other car. I don't want to do it twice. I like simple. Thanks for the information I really appreciate you taking the time.

I believe there's some coolant hoses that feed the oil cooler that are only accessible with the turbo removed. I believe the coolant hoses attach to the oil filter metal assembly. This assembly also acts as a heat exchanger for the oil. Given nearly 100K mileage, I'd order nearly every rubber hose in that area that's behind the turbo, or even the turbo shield.

I hope you have a nice heated garage, this week is going to be brutal in Minnesota!
I do have a very nice heated garage where all this work is going to be done. I just wish I had a lift. Thanks for the tip on the coolant lines I will make certain they are on the list.

WhileImatititis is alive and well I am looking at the down pipe from zzp and am hoping I can swing the mid pipe at the same time. Then I might as well get the HP tuner credit and tune it.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Are you going with a used turbo? I'd be interested in where you find parts, and if you find a local dealer that's helpful in your repair efforts.

I'm in the twin cities, not far from you, and I have yet to find a dealership with a cool parts department that sells at a fair online price. Some parts like turbo's and the infamous valve cover are to my knowledge dealer only parts.

I'm guessing some of the hoses I mentioned maybe dealer only parts as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going with a used turbo? I'd be interested in where you find parts, and if you find a local dealer that's helpful in your repair efforts.

I'm in the twin cities, not far from you, and I have yet to find a dealership with a cool parts department that sells at a fair online price. Some parts like turbo's and the infamous valve cover are to my knowledge dealer only parts.

I'm guessing some of the hoses I mentioned maybe dealer only parts as well.
I am going with a rebuilt one. Worst case I will find a low mile used one to throw in there. I am planing on hitting Suburban Chevrolet first to see if they are willing to help me out. I have price shopped them against GM Parts Direct and they are not far off. Then I will hit Shakopee Chevrolet. Shakopee Chev has been pretty decent to me since they were threatened with losing the GM name several years ago, so I hope they can help me out. If not I will just put a complete list together and place one order through GM Parts Direct and not get killed on shipping.

Why are you doing this yourself if your still under warranty?!!!
Because it's not. My warranty ran out in June of this year and the wastegate didn't take a dump until October. Unfortunately, there is a time limit and not just mileage. I have just been putting it off due to cost and Christmas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I looked there. I just found I can get a brand new one from GM for $625 with a $75 core, so $550 for brand new is ok in my book.

It looks like I am going to be ordering everything off of this page and then some.

TURBOCHARGER & COMPONENTS for 2012 Chevrolet Cruze

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like I am going to have to make a stop at the nearest GM dealership. The link I provided above does not include the vacuum lines or anything about an oil cooler. I know it's going to be done right, but it's going to be around $1K to get it done that way.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Search Chevrolet Cruze 1LT Engine Parts

Here'sw a better link that includes the diagram of the Turbo Mounting. You can see the coolant lines behind it.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...4501&ukey_category=19399&ukey_trimLevel=25215

I think you can get a used turbo for around $250, and there's several people on the forum that have pulled a turbo. I think this would be doable and I'm guessing you have a pretty good decked out garage.

Service manuals are avalible online via Minnesota Public Libraries. Using your library card to access Chiltons Online from your home network.

Please keep us updated as your progress continues..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic! Thank you for the link.

Here is the internal debate I am having. Should I drop the money on a used one knowing the wastegate is notorious for getting out of tolerance and then just need to buy another one in X amount of time. Or should I buy a zero mile one for more money and get more time out of it? In my years I have learned to hate buying stuff twice.

I personally tend to lean towards the old adage, you get what you pay for.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Fantastic! Thank you for the link.

Here is the internal debate I am having. Should I drop the money on a used one knowing the wastegate is notorious for getting out of tolerance and then just need to buy another one in X amount of time. Or should I buy a zero mile one for more money and get more time out of it? In my years I have learned to hate buying stuff twice.

I would spend some time hunting around for a very low mileage example that was wrecked. If nothing shows up, given that the wastegate pin is a dumb design and can't be replaced once it does wear out, then I'd go new. At that rate, you should be good for the 200k mark.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a bad thought. That leaves me with more funds for performance parts.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Fantastic!

I also lean to paying a little bit more for quality than doing a job again. One source I would consider is Nordstroms Automotive out of South Dakota. They deal with disassembly of very low mileage vehicles. Some of them are directly from the assembly line with 3-5 miles.

I took a quick look and they have a 2016 exhaust manifold for $250. I was using my phone, so I wasn't able to see the mileage on the car, but the car looked to be in good shape. Not a flood vehicle.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am going with a rebuilt one. Worst case I will find a low mile used one to throw in there. I am planing on hitting Suburban Chevrolet first to see if they are willing to help me out. I have price shopped them against GM Parts Direct and they are not far off. Then I will hit Shakopee Chevrolet. Shakopee Chev has been pretty decent to me since they were threatened with losing the GM name several years ago, so I hope they can help me out. If not I will just put a complete list together and place one order through GM Parts Direct and not get killed on shipping.

Because it's not. My warranty ran out in June of this year and the wastegate didn't take a dump until October. Unfortunately, there is a time limit and not just mileage. I have just been putting it off due to cost and Christmas.

Beware of GMpartsdirect and their 4th-string customer support should you have any issues or if you want to return something.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also lean to paying a little bit more for quality than doing a job again. One source I would consider is Nordstroms Automotive out of South Dakota. They deal with disassembly of very low mileage vehicles. Some of them are directly from the assembly line with 3-5 miles.

I took a quick look and they have a 2016 exhaust manifold for $250. I was using my phone, so I wasn't able to see the mileage on the car, but the car looked to be in good shape. Not a flood vehicle.
They had two that would fit the bill, but they are still attached to the motor. I'm just waiting to hear back on whether they will separate. It would be nice if they did.

Beware of GMpartsdirect and their 4th-string customer support should you have any issues or if you want to return something.
So I've heard. Every one of my transactions has been just fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...Actually your build date is even earlier than that, its takes a month to make it to the dealer..
Sure. According to GMs computer it was done. Arguing would have done me no good. My guess is my car was a fleet vehicle that was turned out early.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts