Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I believe there's some coolant hoses that feed the oil cooler that are only accessible with the turbo removed. I believe the coolant hoses attach to the oil filter metal assembly. This assembly also acts as a heat exchanger for the oil. Given nearly 100K mileage, I'd order nearly every rubber hose in that area that's behind the turbo, or even the turbo shield.

I hope you have a nice heated garage, this week is going to be brutal in Minnesota!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Are you going with a used turbo? I'd be interested in where you find parts, and if you find a local dealer that's helpful in your repair efforts.

I'm in the twin cities, not far from you, and I have yet to find a dealership with a cool parts department that sells at a fair online price. Some parts like turbo's and the infamous valve cover are to my knowledge dealer only parts.

I'm guessing some of the hoses I mentioned maybe dealer only parts as well.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Search Chevrolet Cruze 1LT Engine Parts

Here'sw a better link that includes the diagram of the Turbo Mounting. You can see the coolant lines behind it.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...4501&ukey_category=19399&ukey_trimLevel=25215

I think you can get a used turbo for around $250, and there's several people on the forum that have pulled a turbo. I think this would be doable and I'm guessing you have a pretty good decked out garage.

Service manuals are avalible online via Minnesota Public Libraries. Using your library card to access Chiltons Online from your home network.

Please keep us updated as your progress continues..

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Fantastic!

I personally tend to lean towards the old adage, you get what you pay for.
I also lean to paying a little bit more for quality than doing a job again. One source I would consider is Nordstroms Automotive out of South Dakota. They deal with disassembly of very low mileage vehicles. Some of them are directly from the assembly line with 3-5 miles.

I took a quick look and they have a 2016 exhaust manifold for $250. I was using my phone, so I wasn't able to see the mileage on the car, but the car looked to be in good shape. Not a flood vehicle.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Used Turbo is $625, seems like you could get something new for that price.

Does the Turbo Assembly cover some of the lines that you part number below? Maybe not.. It's a battle, order everything before you get into a job, and possibly have left over duplicate parts, or order them one at a time and potentially drag out the repair.

Shipping all those parts from GMPD for $30 is pretty good. Or were you thinking of getting the small stuff locally?

I have had hit and miss response with the Rock Auto catalog and the GM factory part numbers. If you get a hit, I've had not problem getting them, and at a significant discount vs. dealer.

I checked 55565382 and it's in stock for $27.79 without the 5% discount.

It looks like you've done the hard work of the spreadsheet, now it wouldn't take long to check each part in their part lookup portion of the catalog.

How much time would be saved doing the ZZP stuff now with the turbo out? Not sure if there's a lot of time savings or not, maybe there is..

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I was looking at Standard Motor Products website the other day for Cruze spark plug boots and realized they have part numbered a new Turbo for the 1.4L Cruze.

eCatalog

Part number TBC583

http://www.standardbrand.com/media/2812858/ST11230-SEPT16_NPS_Sept_Oct2016-WEB.pdf

It shows pictures of the Turbo with the seals provided in their kit. The problem now is to find a seller, and see if there's price savings. Hopefully the pictures help.

There's also a distributor lookup for Garrett Turbo's

https://garrett.honeywell.com/distributor/distributor-locator/north-america/usa/

There's a Turbo shop down in Burnsville. May it be cheaper buying new directly from Garrett vs. GM. I found the GM part 55565353 on their website.

Given the speed these things operate at, maybe going OE is a better solution. Hopefully if someone finds these links in the next year or two there will be direct turbo replacements without dealing with salvage or direct GM prices.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I mentioned the info from Garrett because looking at their website it appears that all their turbo's have a tag with both a manufacturers part number and a Garrett Turbo part number & serial number. They seem pretty proud to show you exactly how to dissect the tag.

Some of the info on the tags shown on their website might be for manufacturers other than GM. Maybe the GM ones only have the standard GM marking. The pictures I've found haven't been clear enough to see this level of detail.

I like researching technical problems, and issues like this. I've looked at Nordstoms before for a previous car, but never ended up ordering the parts.

There's been several posts with people mentioning they changed the turbo, but many have not discussed economical options to source or repair a turbo.

I hope Surburban Chev takes care of you if you get parts there. I've done oil changes there, but I've never ordered parts. I've had problems getting small GM parts with some local dealers on the east side, but I was never considering something as expensive as a turbo.

With prices for a new turbo being so high, I guess it makes the labor cost seem reasonable in a shop. I wonder how many hours a turbo bills out at. I may have to look next time I'm looking at shop info. The problem is you may get the bare minimum done under the flat rate system. This probably wouldn't include the other work like hoses either. The more I understand how technicians make their money, the more inclined I am to try to do repairs myself. I research a lot more than I wrench.

It helps that libraries have free access to fairly good shop manuals.

Reactions: joes74challenger

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
OP-

Assuming you're aware of the following part locator site..

It looks like there's a 2016 1.4L Trax in Fond Du Lac, WI with 1500 miles for around $325. Probably too far to drive, but I bet it would arrive quickly.

Search Results

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Carbon02 - Thanks for looking out! I was able to get the Trax turbo shipped for $350. Not to bad if I do say so myself.
I'm glad you got your parts. Please take some pictures when you do this. I'd be happy to help you write the How-To document if we can get some details of the procedure, with equipment that a normal owner has in his garage. If you have a lift, there's tricks the average owner can't do because of accessibility.

I just got my cruze back from an independent shop for replacement of the tranny cooler lines. This is a tough time to be in Minnesota with a dead car. Work fast, this week might be your best shot for warmth!

Good luck and keep us posted. I think between Extreme and I we can help with the How-To with your documentation.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm guessing you know how to shorten the link I posted above to search, but here's the website I used. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. I think you'll find more than just that one seller.

Is the car still drive-able during this whole time, or do you have it parked?

There's Pam's Automotive, I think they are in Northfield. If I recall correctly their parts have a lifetime warranty included with the sale.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What's the warranty and price of your low mileage turbo? Looks good so you can visually tell the difference in play with the wastegate actuator pin? Between the old one and new one?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Here's a video showing partial turbo removal. I'm not sure that I'd split the turbo from the exhaust manifold like that. Taking the dead one out fine, installing the new one, I would think you might have leaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3-Fcsekns

Chiltons online seems to mention that the coolant lines that are on the back of the turbo are quick connects like a fuel line to fuel filter.

These are cut in the pictures above. They are the lines that have the insulation on them. It maybe easier to un thread for removal, but to insert it might be easier to thread the fittings into the turbo, and quick connect the lines in.

The old line is on the turbo, you could play with that to see if a fuel line quick disconnect might disconnect what's left of the lines from the old fittings.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ask your wife or kids for their library card.. Go under resources on the library web page, and log into Chiltons online. You can access it from your home wifi. This is for people with library cards from the Twin Cities Metro area.

Full procedure is there. I think you can get by without the special tool that holds the coolant line that attaches to the turbo. I guess they are scared of you kinking the line.

It's one of the metal lines that the yard cut on your new turbo.. So either they were grabbing quick, or it's a pain to get at that fitting.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm now debating if I just bite the bullet and buy the shop manual. I know the $200 will be money well spent, but not sure just how long I am going to keep the car.

I really appreciate all the information you are spilling. It is very helpful and know it will come in handy when the time arises.
I'm good at researching problems, but my mechanical wrench skills aren't risky enough.. Hense the reason I research everything. Alldata is what most shops use, and they have the same procedure as the library Chiltons.. I wouldn't spend $200 on manuals.

The only thing I can't understand is why there's not clearance to get the manifold out without removing the downpipe. I think the interference is the exhaust studs. They appear to be studs with nuts vs. bolts. Probably better to work with and clamp better, but it appears the entire manifold would have to slide forward and there might not be clearance without removing the downpipe. or at least loosening it.

Let us know how it goes.. Those back connections look like they might be a little painful.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
How's the turbo replacement going?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Wow-

How does that big of a flange piece of metal just fall off? It was on the new Turbo when installed? The surface of the metal looks like a dirty break not clean metal. So I guess the flange was stress fractured either in the accident of the donor car, or removal of the turbo for sale?

There's someone on the forum that has posted that Dorman is now selling a turbo. He''s putting it in an air boat, and I don't think he's posted as to it's success.

I believe it was around $450, and included new band clamp at the exhaust, and exhaust bolts.

It's not listed for a 2012 Cruze, but is listed for a 2013, yet I think the GM part number fit's both the 2012 and 2013, so not sure what's going on with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts