Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Well, that is the complete list for what I would like to do. There is some cost savings in a few places, specifically with the turbo and the mid/downpipe, but I am looking at $1K to do it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Used Turbo is $625, seems like you could get something new for that price.

Does the Turbo Assembly cover some of the lines that you part number below? Maybe not.. It's a battle, order everything before you get into a job, and possibly have left over duplicate parts, or order them one at a time and potentially drag out the repair.

Shipping all those parts from GMPD for $30 is pretty good. Or were you thinking of getting the small stuff locally?

I have had hit and miss response with the Rock Auto catalog and the GM factory part numbers. If you get a hit, I've had not problem getting them, and at a significant discount vs. dealer.

I checked 55565382 and it's in stock for $27.79 without the 5% discount.

It looks like you've done the hard work of the spreadsheet, now it wouldn't take long to check each part in their part lookup portion of the catalog.

How much time would be saved doing the ZZP stuff now with the turbo out? Not sure if there's a lot of time savings or not, maybe there is..

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I was looking at Standard Motor Products website the other day for Cruze spark plug boots and realized they have part numbered a new Turbo for the 1.4L Cruze.

eCatalog

Part number TBC583

http://www.standardbrand.com/media/2812858/ST11230-SEPT16_NPS_Sept_Oct2016-WEB.pdf

It shows pictures of the Turbo with the seals provided in their kit. The problem now is to find a seller, and see if there's price savings. Hopefully the pictures help.

There's also a distributor lookup for Garrett Turbo's

https://garrett.honeywell.com/distributor/distributor-locator/north-america/usa/

There's a Turbo shop down in Burnsville. May it be cheaper buying new directly from Garrett vs. GM. I found the GM part 55565353 on their website.

Given the speed these things operate at, maybe going OE is a better solution. Hopefully if someone finds these links in the next year or two there will be direct turbo replacements without dealing with salvage or direct GM prices.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Maybe hold off on the DP/MP until a ZZP sale. Black Friday 2016 sales is why you now see several big ticket ZZP products in my sig
Maybe. See, I have kids and they are money sucking leaches, only kidding I love them to death. However, if I wait on those parts then I might not be able to buy them until the year 2030 and the car will be gone by then.

Used Turbo is $625, seems like you could get something new for that price.

Does the Turbo Assembly cover some of the lines that you part number below? Maybe not.. It's a battle, order everything before you get into a job, and possibly have left over duplicate parts, or order them one at a time and potentially drag out the repair.

Shipping all those parts from GMPD for $30 is pretty good. Or were you thinking of getting the small stuff locally?

I have had hit and miss response with the Rock Auto catalog and the GM factory part numbers. If you get a hit, I've had not problem getting them, and at a significant discount vs. dealer.

I checked 55565382 and it's in stock for $27.79 without the 5% discount.

It looks like you've done the hard work of the spreadsheet, now it wouldn't take long to check each part in their part lookup portion of the catalog.

How much time would be saved doing the ZZP stuff now with the turbo out? Not sure if there's a lot of time savings or not, maybe there is..
Turbo is brand new. I am looking at $300-350 for a used one with right around 5K miles on it. I think I may go that direction to save myself around $300. The turbo part number is just the turbo and vacuum lines you talked about, nothing more. The parts list I have is everything you guys listed and the hardware to mount it all. I am sure I could trim some of the clamps and such, but it's cheap and I might as well replace them.

The parts were looked up on GM Parts Direct, but checked at the GM Parts Department at Suburban Chev and they lined up, so the designation is for GM Parts Department and not GM Parts Direct.

I like factory parts. I will double check Amazon to see if I can move the needle a little more. I may go with Rock Auto, but was not really thinking about them at all.

Not worried about the time savings for the ZZP stuff. It should only take 30 minutes or so for that stuff, it was more about power. I have never be able to leave well enough alone with my cars and I am not big on mods that don't add to the performance. So why not do that now?

I was looking at Standard Motor Products website the other day for Cruze spark plug boots and realized they have part numbered a new Turbo for the 1.4L Cruze.

eCatalog

Part number TBC583

http://www.standardbrand.com/media/2812858/ST11230-SEPT16_NPS_Sept_Oct2016-WEB.pdf

It shows pictures of the Turbo with the seals provided in their kit. The problem now is to find a seller, and see if there's price savings. Hopefully the pictures help.

There's also a distributor lookup for Garrett Turbo's

https://garrett.honeywell.com/distributor/distributor-locator/north-america/usa/

There's a Turbo shop down in Burnsville. May it be cheaper buying new directly from Garrett vs. GM. I found the GM part 55565353 on their website.

Given the speed these things operate at, maybe going OE is a better solution. Hopefully if someone finds these links in the next year or two there will be direct turbo replacements without dealing with salvage or direct GM prices.
Thanks for this information, you have been extremely helpful and I am indebted to you for that. I am not going to be getting an "aftermarket" turbo. That is one of those parts where I would rather spend the money on quality. When I reached out to Garrett for some help with model numbers and specs of the factory turbo they were absolutely zero help because it was a GM part. My guess is this will extend to the distributors as well. Working in the corporate retail world for nearly 20 years I have learned that sharing any sort of information on something that is produced for someone else is a big no-no. Now if I reached out to GM they may actually provide me with those specs since they "own" the turbo.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I mentioned the info from Garrett because looking at their website it appears that all their turbo's have a tag with both a manufacturers part number and a Garrett Turbo part number & serial number. They seem pretty proud to show you exactly how to dissect the tag.

Some of the info on the tags shown on their website might be for manufacturers other than GM. Maybe the GM ones only have the standard GM marking. The pictures I've found haven't been clear enough to see this level of detail.

I like researching technical problems, and issues like this. I've looked at Nordstoms before for a previous car, but never ended up ordering the parts.

There's been several posts with people mentioning they changed the turbo, but many have not discussed economical options to source or repair a turbo.

I hope Surburban Chev takes care of you if you get parts there. I've done oil changes there, but I've never ordered parts. I've had problems getting small GM parts with some local dealers on the east side, but I was never considering something as expensive as a turbo.

With prices for a new turbo being so high, I guess it makes the labor cost seem reasonable in a shop. I wonder how many hours a turbo bills out at. I may have to look next time I'm looking at shop info. The problem is you may get the bare minimum done under the flat rate system. This probably wouldn't include the other work like hoses either. The more I understand how technicians make their money, the more inclined I am to try to do repairs myself. I research a lot more than I wrench.

It helps that libraries have free access to fairly good shop manuals.

Reactions: joes74challenger

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not worried about the time savings for the ZZP stuff. It should only take 30 minutes or so for that stuff, it was more about power. I have never be able to leave well enough alone with my cars and I am not big on mods that don't add to the performance. So why not do that now?
If you're goal is more power, the most effective AND efficient method is to re-calibrate (tune) your ECU. What I mean is, "bolt-ons" may produce -5% to 5% more power, but a tune will produce 25%+ more power with stock everything. (The percentage examples aren't accurate, but not far off.)

So your HP-per-dollar spent will for example:

ZZP DP/MP = 6.9 hp / $535 = 0.013 hp per dollar invested

Tune by purchasing HP Tuners (more expensive than canned tuned) and a WBO2 = 60 hp / $650 = 0.093 hp per dollar invested

You can see going the expensive tune route it is still 7x more cost efficient.

However!!! I have the full ZZP exhaust system, and after bridging it a few times it sounds so SICK AWESOME with a tune, it's totally legit sounding IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I mentioned the info from Garrett because looking at their website it appears that all their turbo's have a tag with both a manufacturers part number and a Garrett Turbo part number & serial number. They seem pretty proud to show you exactly how to dissect the tag.

Some of the info on the tags shown on their website might be for manufacturers other than GM. Maybe the GM ones only have the standard GM marking. The pictures I've found haven't been clear enough to see this level of detail.

I like researching technical problems, and issues like this. I've looked at Nordstoms before for a previous car, but never ended up ordering the parts.

There's been several posts with people mentioning they changed the turbo, but many have not discussed economical options to source or repair a turbo.

I hope Surburban Chev takes care of you if you get parts there. I've done oil changes there, but I've never ordered parts. I've had problems getting small GM parts with some local dealers on the east side, but I was never considering something as expensive as a turbo.

With prices for a new turbo being so high, I guess it makes the labor cost seem reasonable in a shop. I wonder how many hours a turbo bills out at. I may have to look next time I'm looking at shop info. The problem is you may get the bare minimum done under the flat rate system. This probably wouldn't include the other work like hoses either. The more I understand how technicians make their money, the more inclined I am to try to do repairs myself. I research a lot more than I wrench.

It helps that libraries have free access to fairly good shop manuals.
If I remember correctly it was going to be around $500-600 for labor to install the turbo and that was just the turbo, nothing extra. Right after the service writer said that I knew I was going to be doing it myself.

If you're goal is more power, the most effective AND efficient method is to re-calibrate (tune) your ECU. What I mean is, "bolt-ons" may produce -5% to 5% more power, but a tune will produce 25%+ more power with stock everything. (The percentage examples aren't accurate, but not far off.)

So your HP-per-dollar spent will for example:

ZZP DP/MP = 6.9 hp / $535 = 0.013 hp per dollar invested

Tune by purchasing HP Tuners (more expensive than canned tuned) and a WBO2 = 60 hp / $650 = 0.093 hp per dollar invested

You can see going the expensive tune route it is still 7x more cost efficient.

However!!! I have the full ZZP exhaust system, and after bridging it a few times it sounds so SICK AWESOME with a tune, it's totally legit sounding IMO.
Yeah, my buddy has HP tuners and I will be buying a credit for my car and will start the tuning process. From the reading I have done this car is very conservative with the tune and will benefit a ton. I just wanted to get a few of the supporting mods done to take extra advantage of the tune.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I appreciate you looking out. Luckily I have been around the block several times with the Camaros I have owned and know a decent amount of what should and shouldn't be done. I am actually going with a MegaSquirt for that turbo motor, so I can get the most out of it. The tuneability of the factory 3800 series II computers are not the best and I really didn't want to have to deal with the MAF sensor not being able to read the amount of air coming in.

Now, if I could only get a response back on those used turbos I will be on my way.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
OP-

Assuming you're aware of the following part locator site..

It looks like there's a 2016 1.4L Trax in Fond Du Lac, WI with 1500 miles for around $325. Probably too far to drive, but I bet it would arrive quickly.

Search Results

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good information here! Hey OP, when you do the work, take some pictures etc. I have a feeling there will be a lot of people needing to replace their turbos eventually.We can all benefit from your experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OP-

Assuming you're aware of the following part locator site..

It looks like there's a 2016 1.4L Trax in Fond Du Lac, WI with 1500 miles for around $325. Probably too far to drive, but I bet it would arrive quickly.

Search Results
Yeah, that is the one I use, but I have had a horrible time getting responses back from people. I will continue to work on it. For my job I needed to cross train and I have not been able to do anything car related due to workload. I hope things will calm down next week.

Good information here! Hey OP, when you do the work, take some pictures etc. I have a feeling there will be a lot of people needing to replace their turbos eventually.We can all benefit from your experience.
I am planning on taking pictures and will be glad to post them here.

So what did your car build date end up being on the door jam???????????????
Sorry about that, I completely forgot to check and my wife has been driving my car so I don't have access to it as much as I used to. I will set a reminder to look tonight and will report back as soon as I can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Carbon02 - Thanks for looking out! I was able to get the Trax turbo shipped for $350. Not to bad if I do say so myself.

Cruzen Vegas handwritten on the door tag it says "contribution 07/12", however, on Chevrolet's official site this is what it says.

I will give them a call, but my guess is I will get nowhere.

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
Yeah, my buddy has HP tuners and I will be buying a credit for my car and will start the tuning process. From the reading I have done this car is very conservative with the tune and will benefit a ton. I just wanted to get a few of the supporting mods done to take extra advantage of the tune.
Expect to spend a hundred hours (I'm not exaggerating at all) trying to tune this car. This is no LS1 or 3800. It is a completely different tuning approach. It is a torque-based platform that, even in my experience tuning, is very, very different. I have only seen ONE shop do a halfway decent job of tuning this vehicle with HPT, most of them rig the car to blow because they have to re-learn tuning just to tune this ECU (and subsequent cars that use similar ECUs).

Furthermore, some of the tables in HPT for this ECU are mis-labeled, and some of them are missing altogether that are needed to get a good tune. I can't disclose which those are, but I can disclose that Jerry @ BNR uses EFILive and can tune this vehicle correctly, and makes more power (safely) than anyone that is using HPT as a result. I'd recommend thinking twice about attempting this car yourself since you'll be using a flawed tool and the tuning approach will be totally different than what you're experienced with.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Carbon02 - Thanks for looking out! I was able to get the Trax turbo shipped for $350. Not to bad if I do say so myself.
I'm glad you got your parts. Please take some pictures when you do this. I'd be happy to help you write the How-To document if we can get some details of the procedure, with equipment that a normal owner has in his garage. If you have a lift, there's tricks the average owner can't do because of accessibility.

I just got my cruze back from an independent shop for replacement of the tranny cooler lines. This is a tough time to be in Minnesota with a dead car. Work fast, this week might be your best shot for warmth!

Good luck and keep us posted. I think between Extreme and I we can help with the How-To with your documentation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have been reading the HP Tuners forum and I am pretty sure I will be able to get a basic tune without many problem and get 30HP conservatively. I do greatly appreciate you looking out for me. There are plenty of people that would dive in head first and instantly regret changing anything. I am not that type of person. I will not start anything or buy anything until I am 100% confident in what I am doing.

I cannot promise there will be enough pictures to make a how to. More than likely we will start out strong and then once we drink enough we will no longer be taking pictures. I will do my best though. Now i need to figure out if I will be able to get good prices at Suburban Chev or if I will have to order from GMPD.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Back to the drawing board on the turbo. I just received a call from the salvage yard informing me they could not find the turbo. My guess is it will show up on the internet again at a higher price than before. It was a pretty good deal.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.