Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through a bunch of posts and forums and have yet to find any threads on this topic (that I thought answered my questions). I have a 2014 Cruze LT with the 7" MyLink touch screen and rear backup camera. What I want to do is a clean looking upgrade by removing the MyLink 7" touch screen and adding a double-din receiver (haven't decided on what model yet).

I've seen this dash kit from Crutchfield: Metra 99-3011S Dash Kit Fits 2011-up Chevrolet Cruze — single- or double-DIN at Crutchfield.com

To me, this looks like it would leave the MyLink screen in the dash while simply removing the audio controls/buttons to make room for a radio. This seems like a silly idea, as now you have two radios sitting in the car. I also don't want to just remove the MyLink screen and fit an aftermarket radio into that opening, as now there are a bunch of audio controls/buttons that don't do anything.

Has anyone performed this type of install, or have pictures of someone else who has? What was the experience like? Is this even possible?

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Getting to the point of you don't like the radio that comes with the vehicle, don't buy it. Not just a radio anymore, but a large part of the alarm system and the only means to program other portions of the vehicle.

I ain't buying any vehicle with a touch or smudge screen in it. The height of stupidity, trying to hit the right icon with an extended arm on a pothole filled road. Idiots claim they are better and charge more for these pieces of crap. While in reality, a hail of a lot cheaper to manufacturer because all those switches and wiring are removed in place of a newspaper type printing operation on a piece of plastic or glass.

If you do find a replacement, has to emulate OE or will lose all of your programming and alarm functions. These aren't radios anymore, but are computers with code stored in flashram that can corrupt. And the only way to get it reflashed is to get screwed by your dealer.

EPA insist on getting your ECU reflashed by your dealer due emission requirements, and by some idiot that doesn't even how to operate a computer. Okay, maybe they have a point for emissions, but what does a radio have to do with emissions? All this junk I have at home that works the same way, get free updates via WiFi.

And the only reason for updates, rush to market and never get it right the first time.

Goodbye to the good ole DIN standards, another word to be in the history books, standards. Changing these so-called standards every two minutes.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
If you are looking to enhance your experience with the MYLink System let me know what exactly you would like to achieve .. ie ,,Nav, adding amps ,

To what end are you looking ?

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did the double-DIN retrofit about four months ago with Metra parts and a Clarion NX404 receiver. The NX404 was pretty disappointing, and I actually swapped it out this week for a JVC unit that's been much better, as well as getting a sub kit hooked up and new speakers. Below is a list of parts I used with a cost breakdown.

Text Font Line Number Screenshot

As for the head unit only, there are a lot of things you need to consider.

1. It's not easy. With the OnStar retention harness that also retains the upper LCD panel (GMOS-44), steering wheel control adapter (ASWC-1), and antenna adapter (40-EU55), plus the receiver harness and tons of wires, there's a lot of stuff being jammed into a small area.

2. You have to trim down the HVAC control panel to get it to fit around a double-DIN receiver. Obviously that's not reversible.

3. You lose the factory USB and AUX plug, and the factory mic for bluetooth calls. More wires and stuff to install to get those features back, plus a lot of aftermarket head units frankly suck for bluetooth calls with interference (the NX404 was really bad).

4. The OnStar button on the steering wheel cannot be reprogrammed; i.e. it will always initiate OnStar "ready". Can't program that to start calls with your head unit basically with the GMOS-44 harness installed.

Anyway, I would put much thought and research into it before thinking you can just order some parts and, throw it in, and everything will be all gravy.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
A $ 1,000.00 Google v2 mylink and take a look for yourself ...

Do you have a 7" screen ?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

Surprised at Cruchfield, last talk with them several years ago, don't change your OE radio, will have lots of interface problems and stuff won't work.

Now I see they are offering well over a hundred radios, supposing emulating the OEM radio in a price range of of 50 to over 1,300 bucks.

Wife also wanted navigation, but in 2012 the price was 2000 bucks! First comment for what it cost to add navigation, that is about $1,995.00 too much, I know what GPS chips cost. But this is only the start of it, 200 bucks for a map update, and when you pay that much, already a year out of date.

So went to my Target store selling a 5" Garmin for under a 100 bucks on a half price sale with free lifetime map updates and live traffic information. To date received over 45 free map updates, what's this times 200 bucks.

Unsnap the left vent, made a metal bracket that slips on, no mods to it, and hard wires it to the fuse panel. Just a wire soldered to my own fuse, still have the original. This is what it looks like.

View attachment 164697

Yep, fully reversible.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Not bad Nick!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hate to say it, but if nav is all you want, slapping in mount for a phone or Garmin type unit like Nick did really is the way to go for two reasons. One, as mentioned above, retrofitting an aftermarket head unit is an undertaking, and two, the database based nav in aftermarket head units generally sucks. That latter point may change as Android Auto and CarPlay head units become more plentiful since the nav then becomes what your phone has with voice commands, and real time data being streamed in.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
We had a cigar lighter plug in with a 15" notebook plugged into with Microsoft Streets and Maps and a GPS dongle. Wasn't very user friendly and needed a copilot to use it, and rather difficult to use if you were alone.

Smart phones are okay provided you are within WiFi or cell phone range, but kind of worthless in places we like to visit.

We also have a Dell Axim 5 with real GPS software, screen was way too small and voice drove us nuts, you are approaching State St, do not turn, drive straight ahead, for each and every block in Chicago. And when you really needed it, it would crash, had to be reloaded.

Garmin works anyway, even in the deep woods or in the Swiss Alps, and in many countries in Latin America. In Italy, had to find the nearest Hertz Rental, with no street signs nor highway markers, led us straight to it using Points of Interest, right to the front door.

Got a LMT1450 for half price, did have a micro SD slot, but only good for storing photos and only 2GB of internal RAM, not enough for the US and foreign countries. Nuvi 52, ha also half price, has 4GB of internal RAM. and plugging in a small 8GB micro SD gave me 12GB, all kinds of room for even more maps.

On a strange road, wife said she has to use the restroom, hit Points of Interest, Fuel, there is a gas station 3.6 miles ahead, can you hold it or do you want me to pull to the side of road so you can go in the trees, she said, I can hold it.

Garmin also has a 7" that will fit in my spot, ha, waiting for Black Friday. Son has OEM navigation in his vehicle, can't do anything with it until you pull over and put the gear shift in park. His new home is not even on his map, and doesn't want to lay out 200 bucks to get a one year old update. Not sure if the Cruze is the same way, but rather inconvenient, not even the copilot can use it.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts