Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the stock tweeters in my Cruze with some Polk component tweeters. Just wanted to post a couple pics I took (sorry for quality) to show people a look at what you're getting yourself into. Removing the pillars and the stock tweeters is easy, but finding a way to mount the new tweeters took a little work. I didn't want to drill any holes or use screws that would physically modify my car, as I want to keep it as factory as possible (not to mention drilling into the frame of the car is something I try to avoid.) Ultimately, ended up using marine epoxy. Adhered the tweeters to the support behind the pillars, and popped the panels back on over the top of them. Is it the optimum angle for a tweeter for audiophile quality? No. Is it the best way to mount the tweeters? Probably not. Does it work? Yes.

Blue Motor vehicle Audio equipment Vehicle door Technology

New tweeter glued to Cruze.
Blue Water Auto part Electric blue Wheel

Stock Tweeter after Removal (a little less than 1" / 20 watts)
Vehicle door Windshield Blue Motor vehicle Hood

Different angle of new tweeter and pillar.
Blue Vehicle door Turquoise Hood Teal

Inside of pillar. Somewhat restrictive for sound quality, but plenty of room to work in there.

I should note, rather than try to figure out where the door speaker and tweeters "split", i ran new wire from the new tweeters to the crossover, and just ignored the factory wiring. Much simpler. Hid the left tweeter wire under the headliner fabric, and then ran both tweeter wires together down the pillar and under the steering wheel, which is where I have the crossover mounted so as to not be in the way or seen. Saved a lot of headache doing it this way, and the factory wire/harness is still there if I ever want to put the old tweeters back.

Hope this helps anyone that is nervous about buying new components!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually considered that, but couldn't come up with a good way to do it. It's hard to see in the picture, but the tweeters have kind of a dome shape to them, and the only way i could see to hot glue them to the pillar would involve hot glue on the grill on the tweeters itself. Is there a better way, for future reference?

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
I actually considered that, but couldn't come up with a good way to do it. It's hard to see in the picture, but the tweeters have kind of a dome shape to them, and the only way i could see to hot glue them to the pillar would involve hot glue on the grill on the tweeters itself. Is there a better way, for future reference?
I have used hot glue to attach tweeters of all shapes and sizes. It can be done. Sometimes it takes more hot glue than others.

Sent from mobile.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Extreme do you reccomend cutting the stock pills to fit a tweeter better or so it is not restricted by the factory grill? If that makes sense.....like cut a hole in the pillar cover/panel.

·
Administrator
15,845 Posts
Extreme do you reccomend cutting the stock pills to fit a tweeter better or so it is not restricted by the factory grill? If that makes sense.....like cut a hole in the pillar cover/panel.
I did that to my own pillars but only because the dome protruded beyond the mounting plane of the tweeter and I needed a way to clear it. In my experience tuning two other Cruzes, it isn't necessary but wouldn't hurt. The problem is making it look good.

What I did is I took a fresh utility blade and slowly and carefully cut the pods out of the pillars. I must have made at least 10 laps around the pillars because the blade can slip easily and scratch the surface of the pillar which is unsightly. Once I was able to cut out the pod, I cut out the hole in the center and wrapped the whole thing with charcoal colored speaker grill cloth. I then glued it back with the hot glue gun.

That was spring of 2012 and it has been holding up perfectly. I posted a picture of it in my first sq car audio how-to thread.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey how did you remove the pillar?does yours say airbag on your pillar? I'm trying to replace my pillar with one with gauges but worried about the airbag and I'm not sure how it comes off,any help is appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.