Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on replacing my turbocharger in the next week. I took it to dealership and they diagnosed it to need a new one after my check engine light came on and P0299 was revealed. Does anyone have a list of tools needed for this repair. I've gotten the online manual but couldn't find a list of tools needed. Is this special tool required EN-49942? It's over $100, but wanted to go ahead and order one if it's absolutely necessary. I've read many of the posts on the forum to include the one about the pcv. I hope to get this completed without any major issues. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'll continue to read the other posts and collect all the information I can. I just wanted to start my own to get answers about the tools needed. Thank you for any and all help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If i can recall thats to hold the water return line in place. I had no issue without the tool.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If i can recall thats to hold the water return line in place. I had no issue without the tool.
I believe your correct. The book makes it looks like it holds the outside of the connection while you turn the inside. I don't know what tools are required to get on that, but I'm assuming it un-threads from the block.

I haven't done this, but Markj2222 has done it several times, and so have others on the forum. I think the special tool is to keep from twisting the coolant line as it's being removed.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Great read. Thank you a lot. What about the coolant and oil lines? Did you replace those too, while in there? PCV valve?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Just to ask the obvious question: Is your car over 5 years from the date of first sale, over 100K miles or a salvage title? If not, let Chevy fix it.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll call Chevrolet dealership tomorrow to ensure it's not covered still. It has 65k miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot. Did you have any trouble removing coolant line without special tool? What happens if it twists too? Potential to break?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bolts to hold on exhaust manifold are sold individually for $4 a piece at chevy. Is there a better deal anywhere?

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is absolutely zero reason to buy that special tool. I was able to get the coolant line off without any troubles.

If you have a decent dealership they will match online prices. Go in with prices from GMPARTSDIRECT.com and see what they can do. If they don't and you have patients I would order the part from gmpartsdirect. Their shipping is slow and rather expensive, but you will save money by going through them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe I read somewhere that I need to replace bolts for turbocharger. I'm thinking nuts and studs. Is that correct? Do these, one or both need to be replaced when replacing turbocharger?

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are studs that are coming out of the cylinder head and have brass nuts holding the manifold on to the head. Those brass nuts need to be replaced. They are a torque-to-yield nut and should not be reused. Also it is really cheap insurance to not having them fail.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.