Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planing on doing a retrofit for my 2012 eco. Here in Canada by law we have to have drl so how would I go about doing that since the drl is the same bulb that I'm going to be replacing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the HIDs in my car, I have a drl convertor and they work fine in my car. The ballast I got from a car shop near me had the drl built in

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dims them a little, more or less gets rid of a humming nose that you would have if you didnt have it. They also are connected to my battery, that way they get enough power so they burn out faster too. When i had them first installed one light blew out in 2 days because it wasnt connected to the battery.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't exact know but my hid's are basically my DRL and the turn signal / parking lights are only on when you put the lights on manually as oppose to stock where main headlights are off and turn signal / parking lights are on as DRL.

I got retrofits on mine.
Specs are D2S hids, Q5-R projectors and Apollo 2.0 shrouds. It fills in the housing nicely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
as oppose to stock where main headlights are off and turn signal / parking lights are on as DRL.
Maybe Canada is different, but that's not how stock US DRLs work.

I think the way to solve the DRL problem is to buy some LED DRLs. Maybe something like this. That's just one selection, there are others. Frankly, headlights as DRL is too retro for my taste. I think it's lame.

Then, you'll need to add a relay that prevents any power from reaching the headlights unless the parking lights are also on. That removes the DRL from the headlight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea guys with the research that I have done I decided that I need to get a capacitor that will give the headlights a full 12v. It will basically just keep the HIDs on all the time but it allows me to keep the switch on auto. I'm going to have all my supplies to do the retrofit this week so I'm going to try to make a tutorial on how to install them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yea guys with the research that I have done I decided that I need to get a capacitor that will give the headlights a full 12v. It will basically just keep the HIDs on all the time but it allows me to keep the switch on auto. I'm going to have all my supplies to do the retrofit this week so I'm going to try to make a tutorial on how to install them.
Are you gonna use the OEM lights ? The shop that did my retros said they were a pita and ended up ordering aftermarket replacement ones lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I was going to try OEM but everything I've read about the pain in the ass permaseal has caused me to go with aftermarket headlights which should be here today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are in but I had some issues that I'm still trying to work out. I think the right hand side bulb is not working correct it's about half as bright as the driver side. I broke a piece in my driver side assembly so it doesn't want to raise higher than 2 feet so I need to figure something out to fix that. Other than that they look awesome and mean! Ill post pictures today or tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts