Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in the parking spot waiting on my wife, and I decided to rev the engine for no reason, and I noticed that it stopped at 3500. I tried it again, just to see if it really stopped and it did. Has anyone else noticed this? It's no big deal and I'm not complaining, but what is the purpose for this?

BTW it's an automatic 16 sedan, 2nd gen, gas

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
GMs have been doing this for at least a decade. And it makes sense. Why rev the car to 6,000rpm while it’s parked? No reason, so they don’t allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I have noticed this on other GM vehicles as well. I pushed a 3800 past that limit once and it spun a rod bearing. I wonder if it was put there to protect the bottom end from this kind of damage @ no load?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My ECO MT didn't have this. I guess it's something in the AT programming.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
It's a safety precaution in the tune. If you we're to put it in gear accidentally while higher than 3k rpm, it could be catastrophic to the transmission.
I actually accidentally knocked a rental Cruze into neutral while trying to angrily pass another car, then tried to put it in Drive while revs were still high. It delayed that until it could safely shift back into gear. Kinda smart actually.

Yup. It's horrible for torque converters with no load.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Keeps people from doing neutral drops from a stoplight like the early 1980's GM products. Protection for GM for their warranty probably. Now it sounds like I'm dating myself.

Where's Nick when you need em?

·
Vendor
994 Posts
Lots of companies have been doing this for years, we can raise the limiter with a BNR Tune. Typically we raise it to 6500 in P/N

Reactions: Merc6

·
10,712 Posts
Yep, not much use in revving in neutral except aftermarket exhaust video comparison or anti lag battles. The one Buick at work we have to rev it or it dies shortly after start up. Remote start is 50/50 chance it will stall and die.

I don't remember my eco revving all the way unless my car was coasting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do a tune on it can remove that, bnr and zzp. Have turnes that will make it crackle and pop when you gas it and let off. Its sick I'm in a cruze social club and my buddies have it,sounds like an ak47 when he down shifts. Of course I'm not going to be rev it like crazy but 4500 should have been the limit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My 2015 Chevy Sonic with 1.4 turbo MT did have this. It's designed to protect the engine under a no load from revving anywhere close to redline. Believe me if you revved it that high and did a neutral drop with a automatic or popped the clutch it would do damage over time. I haven't tried to see if the same happens on my 1.6 turbo diesel with MT. I'm sure it is rev protected under no load.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.