Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I red a few posts that say Ecotech 1.4T early 2011 model have problems with his pistons. Apparently ringlands brake down if it boost to much. Anyone can tell me more about it? If it is the case.. Anyone knows if I can find forged pistons somewhere? And if I do find and install forged pistons.. what will happen next? Will I have to change everything that follow up?

Thanks

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I think at this point if you have one of the engines affected by this you would already have had it repaired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its not tuned yet.. and I work in a GM dealership in Quebec, Canada, and none of the mecanics have heard about that issue. Plus, I looked in my investigator software from GM, I can see eveything that been done in a GM dealer since the car is on service, and no indications that this was done on it.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
What year? The weak pistons affected early 2011 Cruzes with a specific lot of engines when Flint was getting up and going with production. Not all 2011s and no later Cruzes were affected.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Do you have your window sticker? It might say where the engine was made. Some 2011 cars, right when they switched from Austrian-built engines to US built engines about June 2011 AFAIK, had issues with pistons. The Austrian-built engines installed in Cruzes before that point did not have piston issues. Since yours is a January 2011 built Cruze, you are likely fine.

Here is a PI number to look up also: PIP5036

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have my window sticker. It says: Final assembly; Lordstown, OH. I guess the engine was built there too. Cant find any PI number as you mentioned..

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
The engine was either built in Flint, Michigan, or Austria. Based on the January 2011 build date of your Cruze, I would bet Austria. Those engines do not have piston problems.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I have a May 2011 build date ECO and my window sticker shows Engine and Trans are sourced from Austria.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly its not on mine.. I looked carefully and really.. its not there. I guess Canadian stickers are different then american ones..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts