Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of a freaking blizzard, a doe did like most of her kin.......didn't know where to eat, and was fecking around on roads in the middle of a whiteout blizzard, and BAM......flung it 30+ yards across 4 lane highway into the ditch opposite side. And I even have a dashcam, but the cam decided to portion up the size of the file and take a 30sec break right before I hit the dear and started recording as I turned into the center lane for my 1st emergency stop.
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood
Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Tire

• Sad
Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
470 Posts
What a shame…I have 2 of them, love em and getting harder to find. Hope you can get her fixed, otherwise it could be a gold mine parted out. Especially tuned

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,011 Posts
Yikes! That might very well be fixable.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm initially intend to fix it, it is my work commuter. Has been very reliable rig for my 40 miles a day work commute. I'm going to start taking it apart this weekend to see what panels, brackets and stuff I'll need to order.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would not report it. Even if you have good comp insurance they will usually write it up as $4K in damages and then salvage title it. Then repairing will be very expensive with junk yard parts and DIY labor not accepted by state. Everything must be new and shop installed at shop labor rates with special inspection at end. Trying to pass the cost to the insurance company can backfire quickly and hurt you financially long term, nevermind the risk of higher rates. It usually takes a year to get an R title and it wont be eligible for ridesharing and will lose thousands in value. That damage is limited to parts that can be replaced in a weekend for under $300 if you nab a junkyard donor. It would be much worse if you hit hard enough to tweak the subframe. The strut would likely be trashed and wheel ripped off long before the subframe would be doneso.

I'd absolutely repair it and keep rolling. I'd buy it as is in a heartbeat if you dont want to. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not report it. Even if you have good comp insurance they will usually write it up as $4K in damages and then salvage title it. Then repairing will be very expensive with junk yard parts and DIY labor not accepted by state. Everything must be new and shop installed at shop labor rates with special inspection at end. Trying to pass the cost to the insurance company can backfire quickly and hurt you financially long term, nevermind the risk of higher rates. It usually takes a year to get an R title and it wont be eligible for ridesharing and will lose thousands in value. That damage is limited to parts that can be replaced in a weekend for under $300 if you nab a junkyard donor. It would be much worse if you hit hard enough to tweak the subframe. The strut would likely be trashed and wheel ripped off long before the subframe would be doneso.

I'd absolutely repair it and keep rolling. I'd buy it as is in a heartbeat if you dont want to. Good luck.
It is already a rebuilt titled vehicle, so I only had liability on it. I bought it in 2020 for $7500 with 53k miles on it, it now has 83k miles.

·
Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
470 Posts
Like boathook said, I’d buy that in a heartbeat as is, along with probably a ton of people here. If it’s just cosmetic, (probably trans cooler and other misc things too), you should patch her up if that is within your means

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like boathook said, I’d buy that in a heartbeat as is, along with probably a ton of people here. If it’s just cosmetic, (probably trans cooler and other misc things too), you should patch her up if that is within your means
Yes, I'm trying to source major chassis parts, I'm sure I'm gonna need lots of small parts that are damaged underneath as I start taking it apart. Check engine light came on together with service DPF system immediately after the crash.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought it was deleted?
No more tunes available when I got this unit. The Trifeta tune I have is using all factory hardware to give it a wee bit more oomph. Has worked well besides the turbo lag from the get go.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry to see this, but at least you're still here. Look on www.car-part.com, might be able to find an entire front clip.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Mode of transport

Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Grille

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive design

It smashed the condenser, inter cooler and the radiator all in one helping. And off course all the small trinkets in between of plastic parts and things. I've got a hood, fender and bumper cover. But I think radiator and intercooler and condenser might be diesel specific?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Looks like the core support is tweaked pretty good. Whats your plan to straighten that out?

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A cumalong and a tree on the side radiator support, replacement rad support form parts car I got parts from.

Reactions: 15cruzediesel

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Service DPF system" light came on after the deer impact.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts