Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Rip Cruze Diesel due to deer

3827 41
In the middle of a freaking blizzard, a doe did like most of her kin.......didn't know where to eat, and was fecking around on roads in the middle of a whiteout blizzard, and BAM......flung it 30+ yards across 4 lane highway into the ditch opposite side. And I even have a dashcam, but the cam decided to portion up the size of the file and take a 30sec break right before I hit the dear and started recording as I turned into the center lane for my 1st emergency stop.
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood
Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Tire
  • Sad
Reactions: jblackburn
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
470 Posts
I have a dpf for you. 100k on it, no issues when it was removed. If it was a sensor issue, that code would come up. So, did the hit from the deer jar the internals of the dpf? Kind of doubt it, pretty solid. Must be electrical.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sigh found radiator shroud and fan was crushed too.........only parts it shares it with is the equal rare Buick Verano 2.0 Turbo and $500 on national bakorder.
Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
470 Posts
****, boneyard or maybe oversees. Shop can’t fix the radiator huh?

Edit: 11 in stock here (rad) for $137

this fan assembly says it fits a ‘15 diesel. I’d double check the p/n though $161, usually $363

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's for the 1.4 gasser, I've got one on order through Summit Racing. We will see, already have a new radiator and Intercooler from Rock Auto.

Reactions: Bvogt

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The ACDelco 1581771 (OEM part# 13338843) is in-stock on RockAuto, but it doesn't show up in the catalog for the 2014 Diesel, and I had to search for it by part number. Around $400 with shipping.
That is just the fan itself, I need the WHOLE shroud in addition.
Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Bicycle part Rim

This is a whole assembly for $508

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Machine

·
Registered
84 Posts
The shroud is overrated. Id just mount the bare fan on aluminum bar stock. You'll get a code without any fan but no code or overheating as long as its there. Heck you could just set it off to the side and let it point up at the hood.

I pulled the fuse for the fan and drove the car for months in the hottest weather we get without any issue. It was August in PA so 95 degree F days with the AC blasting. Diesels don't really need a fan. The only area the gets noticeably hot is the heat from the AC system, and even then only if you're parked and idle for a very long time.

(When the fan controller fuse is pulled the ECM seems to cut the AC clutch output, so the compressor clutch was jumpered. We really hated the fan cycling on high all night right outside our bedroom window).

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Ok, got the Cruze back with all new radiators and stuff. Still some error codes to figure out on the DEF system

Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mobile device Telephony

Attachments

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Here are my two franken vehicles, truck Frank(smashed by tree) and Cruze Francesca (smashed by deer in March) I managed to clear all the DPF and DEF alarms I had after the deer crash.
Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Land vehicle

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,021 Posts
Nice work there!

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have some error codes pertaining to the grill shutters, but don't know if they are history ones or not, they got shattered in the process, I ripped out the motor and connected it hoping I would fool the cirucitry to thing they are still operating?

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Seems like the ambient temp sensor isn't connected, now to figure out where it was located. Deer smashes crap up when it hits ya.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
The grille shutter motor without the actual shutters will still cause a P059F/P069E code, because the motor senses the position for open and closed shutters. I've seen 2 methods for deleting the shutters over the years. 1 involves a resistor wired in place of the actual motor. The other involves fabricating stops to attach to the motor, which imitate the position of the open and closed shutter positions.

Ambient Temp Sensor attaches to the back of the driver-side fog light bezel.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The grille shutter motor without the actual shutters will still cause a P059F/P069E code, because the motor senses the position for open and closed shutters. I've seen 2 methods for deleting the shutters over the years. 1 involves a resistor wired in place of the actual motor. The other involves fabricating stops to attach to the motor, which imitate the position of the open and closed shutter positions.

Ambient Temp Sensor attaches to the back of the driver-side fog light bezel.
That's the exact codes I get. I did install the temp sensor, that was easy peasy. Found these blind passengers in one of the underneath noise insulator panels after hearing bunch of tiny tiny squeaks.
Wood Art Shipping box Box Paper

• Wow
Reactions: guuyuk and MP81
21 - 40 of 42 Posts