Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
The grille shutter motor without the actual shutters will still cause a P059F/P069E code, because the motor senses the position for open and closed shutters. I've seen 2 methods for deleting the shutters over the years. 1 involves a resistor wired in place of the actual motor. The other involves fabricating stops to attach to the motor, which imitate the position of the open and closed shutter positions.
My shutters had been replaced recently but the pin crushed down inside the plug. It broke as soon as I tried to straighten the pin. I then sliced open the plastic casing and wired further back with a poor connection. It worked for a few weeks and its intermittent currently. I found out that the harness was cut and shorted out above the headlight when the MAP sensor stopped working. It shares the fuse with the shutters.

I took the motor off the shutter assembly to cut it open and it now lives up by the battery tray. I marked the open and closed positions with a sharpie line. When the car starts the shutters cycle from open to close and you can see the center spinning. If its unplugged or the fuse is broken you get the P069F "Fuel Pump Requested Illumination" code. If it is missing the hard stops it jams up and you get P059F "Active Grill Air Shutter "A" Performance/ Stuck Off". I found that giving the motor rotor a little twist with screwdriver a few degrees is enough for the code to clear and the stepper motor is happy again. If you don't hit the temperature threshold or restart the car it will stay clear. It seems to cycle without jamming up and throwing the code at least half the time. It was enough to get it through the state inspection last year.

We just bought a second diesel Cruze so I'm looking forward to getting accurate test results before my next state inspection due in December. My hacked up unit is very fragile and flakes out often. My hunch is that a 1.5K resistor between the high voltage and the signal line will trick it into a positive condition and prevent any future codes. If anyone else has done this before I'd love to hear the details.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, just an update now that I've put 5k miles on since I got it back on the road again, car runs beautiful and still have all DEF systems there. Only lights I get are still related to grill shutters so not worried. Getting close to 90k miles now.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts