Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning on the way to work a cement truck passed me going the opposite direction on a curve of a two lane hwy. some rocks came off the top of the fender of the truck as it rounded the curve bounced on the road in front of me , hitting the hood and the windshield of my car, it was a lot of rocks , now my windshield has multiple cracks. I turned around, followed the truck and got the company name, plate number and truck number. I called the company and told them what happened. Later in the day their insurance company called me and said it was the trucking company’s policy to treat all windshield claims as a road hazard and that I should turn in a claim to my insurance. I called the company back and explained that I saw where the rock came from , it was not a road hazard and that they were responsible . they disagreed and said they do not pay for rock damage. If I didn’t see where the rocks came from and it was just one rock I would say, yeah probably, and eat the deductable on my insurance. I saw a sign on the back of dump truck the other day, that said not responsible for broken windshields stay back 200 feet. Unless the law changed recently , they are still responsible for rocks and debris falling off of their trucks. Whats your opinion on this? Should all rock damage be considered a road hazard? Are drivers of trucks that haul rocks, gravel, cement no longer responsible for cleaning their trucks before getting on the road?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
File an accident report and then call your insurance company. You are correct that the trucking company is responsible but getting them to pay up will be nearly impossible. They have to respond to an accident report and if enough are filed on their trucks the state will take action.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
File an accident report and then call your insurance company. You are correct that the trucking company is responsible but getting them to pay up will be nearly impossible. They have to respond to an accident report and if enough are filed on their trucks the state will take action.
File an accident report with the Police for Glass damage or a paint chip? No way. If the auto glass damage of your vehicle is a result of vandalism, call the police to file a police report. Are you responsible if your CRUZE kicks up a rock or a bolt and hit a Car, nope

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
File an accident report with the Police for Glass damage or a paint chip? No way. If the auto glass damage of your vehicle is a result of vandalism, call the police to file a police report. Are you responsible if your CRUZE kicks up a rock or a bolt and hit a Car, nope

accident report, kinda seems like a good idea, to make a point with the trucking company anyway, but I don't think the local sheriffs department would consider it "an accident" , as it is relatively minor, windshield is $300, I think most PD's have a $500 minimum. I would feel bad about calling them , they are way under staffed and really busy, since AB109 took effect here in california . we have had a huge increase in car theft , burglary and other non violent crimes. most are released the same day when arrested , but thats another story.

if the truck had kicked up a rock, yeah I would eat it and pay the deductable, but the rocks came off the truck, must have been there when they loaded the mixer , with cement , sand and gravel.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
if the truck had kicked up a rock, yeah I would eat it and pay the deductable, but the rocks came off the truck, must have been there when they loaded the mixer , with cement , sand and gravel.
This is why I suggest an accident report of some sort. Every state has a "secure your load" law of some sort and the truck's load was not secured.

·
10,712 Posts
Everyone I had a glass claim with USAA they always asked for a plate # and trucking company. Most the times it happen the truck had dirty plates and I couldn't see if the projectile caused damage. How bad is the windshield and body panel?

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's a rough one. You should report it to your insurance with any information you have on the truck and company. They will likely look into it and hopefully do the leg work for you. Filing a police report probably won't go anywhere. Better luck with your insurance. I know it sucks but that sounds like your best bet.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
You guys are funny with calling the Police. Why in Las Vegas they have stopped responding to 'Fender Benders'. Securing your load is a relative term. You should see Central California during Tomato harvest season. The Freeway look like Ketchup

Metro to quit responding to minor traffic accidents.

By Brian Nordli (contact)
Published Monday, Feb. 24, 2014 | 1:39 p.m.
Updated Monday, Feb. 24, 2014 | 4:03 p.m.
The days of Metro Police responding to fender-benders come to an end next week.
Capt. Mark Tavarez of Metro’s Traffic Bureau said at an early afternoon news conference that beginning March 3, patrol officers would stop responding to property-only accidents within Metro’s jurisdiction.

The move, Metro estimates, will free up 250 hours a week for officers to perform other duties, such as traffic-law enforcement to help reduce traffic fatalities. In 2013, Metro responded to 113 fatalities, five more than in 2012.
With 30 fewer traffic officers than there were 18 months ago, Tavarez said, minor collisions took up too much of an officer’s time that could be focused on preventing deadly accidents.
“We’ve been trying to find a way to deploy our officers successfully so we can handle fatalities and handle property damage crashes,” Tavarez said. “But now comes a time we have to prioritize, and I think everybody can agree that fatalities are more important than a property crash.”
Sheriff Doug Gillespie has long maintained Metro’s force is stretched to its limits.
During the news conference at the Metro Traffic Bureau, Tavarez said the new policy would not affect police response to injury accidents, hit-and-run accidents and accidents in which at least one of the drivers will not exchange insurance information.
Once the new policy begins, drivers who find themselves involved in a noninjury accident should, if possible, move their vehicles to safety on the side of the road, exchange their insurance information and, within 10 days as required by Nevada law, fill out an accident report and send it to the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
In Colorado you are required to file an accident report anytime there is more than $500 in non-glass damage. This law is quite old but isn't indexed for inflation.

·
10,712 Posts
Eddy lots of places stop responding to non fatal crashes where both cars can simply drive away. PARTS OF Maryland and DC are like that because they can't get to you in rush hour where all of them occur.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Everyone I had a glass claim with USAA they always asked for a plate # and trucking company. Most the times it happen the truck had dirty plates and I couldn't see if the projectile caused damage. How bad is the windshield and body panel?

Sent from my iFail 5s[/QUOTE

there are some scuffs in the clear but no dents, I have lots of clear on the hood, I repainted the hood and the fender last year when a pickup changes lanes in front of me on I-5 , tossing a truck tire tread in the air, denting the top of my hood. "that was a road hazard" the insurance company said it was covered under comprehensive , because it hit the car, not me hitting it. Cool thing about Geico is I got an estimate, they cut me a check and I fixed it myself. took the check by the lien holder to have them sign off on it and verify the repair. I had to point out to them where the damage was, the new water base paints blend really nice. The windshield is really bad, will need to be replaced, if I drive it the way it is , I will likely get cited. my deductible is only a 100 bucks, and its 75 to file in small claims court, thinking of going with small claims court. the trucking company , really doesn't seem to care about being responsible, or making a effort to keep the gravel off their trucks, even if I lose, I bet they will make sure the trucks are clean when they leave the yard, at least for a while anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts