Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta love 'em.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Auto part Automotive wheel system

Picked this up on my way between deserts... luckily, it was a slow leak, and I was able to limp a few miles to a gas station with a working air pump (the first one was broken). Made it all the way to desert two; overnighted and had something like 22psi on it this morning. Took me three gas stations to get it aired up, and the tire held the air all day. In fact, for some weird reason, the pressure in the tire increased as I drove to the tire shop.

At any rate, the nail is too close to the side wall, so I ended up replacing it and its sister in the rear. Another weird thing: the TPMS thinks this right rear tire is in the right front position.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Ah well, that tire didn't have too much life left in it by the looks of it anyway.

I had pretty bad luck with my FR710s. Had a huge screw in one; replaced that tire at 7000 miles on the car with a brand new one, then tore a gash in the sidewall when I hit a metal something in the road <10000 miles later.

TPMS likely wasn't reset when the tires were last rotated. The system has to be "relearned" every time the tires switch positions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that something I can do myself, or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Is that something I can do myself, or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Very early Cruzes could be taught by activating TPMS relearn mode in the instrument cluster and then letting the air out of tires in a certain order.

Later ones require a tool, which you can pick up on Amazon for $30 or so. Some tire shops will have said tool as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have had them move the new tires to the front, now that I think about it. Oh well, I'll do that on the next oil change, which will happen soon enough.

I'll definitely want to get one of those tools, though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I can certainly try... I mean, I need to fix the tire pressures on the front tires first, as they're all out of whack from my effort to find the low one (seriously, couldn't tell); but I have a little electric tire pump now and a digital pressure gage, so I could take a little time to air everything up to what I want and then try resetting.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,909 Posts
Ah well, that tire didn't have too much life left in it by the looks of it anyway.
Oooh boy, no it doesn't - got yourself some dry rot there!

I don't mean to argue, but my 2014 was definitely able to be relearned from the instrument cluster, I did it myself.
Yes, you initiate it from the cluster, but you have to use the tool to sync the wheel speed sensors.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Also get yourself a 12v air pump. I've had to use them in the back country and should you have a flat you can use it to inflate your spare tire, which if you're like the rest of us, never check for air pressure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also get yourself a 12v air pump. I've had to use them in the back country and should you have a flat you can use it to inflate your spare tire, which if you're like the rest of us, never check for air pressure.
At least the Gen1 Cruze (and every other GM car I've owned) has the spare tire stowed with the valve stem UP. On my parents Hondas (a Fit and an Accord) the spare tires are stowed with the valve stems DOWN and the spares have to be removed in order to check pressures!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
At least the Gen1 Cruze (and every other GM car I've owned) has the spare tire stowed with the valve stem UP. On my parents Hondas (a Fit and an Accord) the spare tires are stowed with the valve stems DOWN and the spares have to be removed in order to check pressures!
Valve up or valve down in storage depends on how the jack and other equipment is stored. I've seen vehicles where the jack is stored above the spare, leading to the value down. GM tends to store the jack below the spare, leading to the valve up.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did pick up a little compressor to keep in the car. Debating with myself whether keeping a plug kit in the car is a good idea, considering the heat...

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Oooh boy, no it doesn't - got yourself some dry rot there!

Yes, you initiate it from the cluster, but you have to use the tool to sync the wheel speed sensors.
Maybe mine is a fluke then, because I initiated it and was able to sync them up by releasing air from each tire until the car honked and flashed lights or whatever, and then my TPMS light went away. Then I filled them to the proper air level.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Maybe mine is a fluke then, because I initiated it and was able to sync them up by releasing air from each tire until the car honked and flashed lights or whatever, and then my TPMS light went away. Then I filled them to the proper air level.
That's really odd for a 2014. I think it was removed because in a busy shop, there's a lot of tires being filled and emptied - you could easily end up with the relearn learning someone else's TPMS.

·
10,712 Posts
You have the ECU flash done?

LOL I haven't checked if mine was faced up or down. Jack is stored above the spare for my 9.5 gen.

Cruze my spare was stored inside the GM Fix A Flat attached to the air compressor.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,152 Posts
Gotta love 'em.

... on my way between deserts... Another weird thing: the TPMS thinks this right rear tire is in the right front position.
It seems you were driving on probably hot pavement on a hot day. The air in the tire will increase temperature on hot days thereby increasing the pressure.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the tool and it takes about 30 seconds to do the operation, starting with the driver's wheel first. I think you can do it in the old fashion manner by adding or taking out 2psi until it gets recognized by the TPMS, then go to the next wheel, but it will take time. My dealer does this operation for free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts