Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else realized that Rockauto is charging their customers tax on the shipping cost? I don't believe that's a proper calculation in Minnesota. While I have sent them messages they haven't responded.

Why should the customer pay additional tax if they select $20 fast shipping over standard $6 shipping.

It's always been material cost +Tax = total. then add shipping and get customer bill.

Anyone else seen this, or does Rockauto care?

A 20 year customer of Rockauto, but I'm not impressed with recommending them if they won't respond to e-mails and questions.

Carbon02

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
States Where Shipping is Taxable:

• Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Nebraska
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
States Where Shipping is Not Taxable if Separately Stated:

What does "separately stated" mean exactly? The short answer is that if shipping is listed as a separate item on your bill, then it cannot be taxed. Well, mostly. There are exceptions here, too, of course, because sales tax nexus laws are tricky.

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Missouri
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
It's Complicated:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/...-sales-tax-on-online-shipping-fees-Should-you

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Everyone is hurting for money and business now with the tariffs. Gotta make up the cost somehow. And stock up on that cash before the recession kicks in to full swing. Just like what happened with the depression 10 years ago.

Haven't you noticed inflation is going through the roof? Gas is the only thing falling.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I guess we're a nexus law state. Because tax most defenitly went up with higher shipping.

BUT, amazon tax was the same regardless of cost of shipping.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,675 Posts
I can't say I've ever noticed them charging tax on shipping (or at all, in fact) on any of my orders. But it has been a little while, so maybe things have changed...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
States Where Shipping is Taxable:

• Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Nebraska
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
States Where Shipping is Not Taxable if Separately Stated:

What does "separately stated" mean exactly? The short answer is that if shipping is listed as a separate item on your bill, then it cannot be taxed. Well, mostly. There are exceptions here, too, of course, because sales tax nexus laws are tricky.

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Missouri
  • Oklahoma
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
It's Complicated:
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/...-sales-tax-on-online-shipping-fees-Should-you
Thanks Eddy for the link provided. Rockauto just responds do to a court case in South Dakota we now charge tax. That's fine everyone does these days, but they didn't explain that tax also applies to the shipping fee's.

This is what seems odd to me. I don't do a lot of Amazon shopping, but the last time I did, I too thought they didn't charge tax on the shipping and handling.

I guess Rockauto is playing by the book, yet I'm finding their customer support experience has been a little less than optimal. They used to be very good, now you get generic replies often days after you send them an e-mail.

I did order the items as AcDelco plugs were on rebate, but shopper beware. Something heavy like shocks or springs, this additional cost only decreases the savings further.

Not sure if sales tax applies to core charges... I wouldn't think so, but keep an eye out.

Reactions: Eddy Cruze

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
This continues to stun me... A decent Hotel room in Las Vegas can be found for $100. However now all the Hotels tack on a 'Resort Fee' which usually runs about $50 per night. Guess what, they tax the Resort Fee too:angry:

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
This continues to stun me... A decent Hotel room in Las Vegas can be found for $100. However now all the Hotels tack on a 'Resort Fee' which usually runs about $50 per night. Guess what, they tax the Resort Fee too:angry:
I was on the East Coast in October. Couldn't find a room for under $100. The hostel in Boston wanted $75. Even places in the boonies were over $100.

But as far as taxes, in some states even the taxes are taxed. It's a GET, not a sales tax. If you sell something for $100 and charge the 4% "sales tax", the tax man will want $4.16 - or 4% of the $104 collected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts