Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently been having with my 2011 Cruze (in Australia it is a Holden Cruze)
It no longer holds in first gear (or any gear) on a hill. It will start slipping down.

I do not believe it is the clutch, as there is no sign on slippage (even on big hills).
I have marked the drive belt with chalk and only to find when the car slips on the hill the belt moves.

I have read reports of bad pistons sent out with this model... does anybody know this was a localized problem or globally?

Of course the dealer wants nothing to do with this at the moment and they insist on them running their own tests on their cars in the yard.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Arrange with your dealer to take the service manager for a drive so he/she can see the behaviour occurring.

Don't do anything else until you have done this, and keep pushing them until they do it and see the problem occur!

If the dealer doesn't want to do this, contact GMH customer service and harangue them.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco and I found that if I park in a friend's driveway(that is a steep hill) and don't set the parking brake, the car will roll backwards. I never tried this in my 2011 LS. It only happened one time never had a car turn the engine over while parked on a hill. Never thought to have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your car. The engine is a low compression 1.4L, it will not hold the weight of the car on a hill for an extended period of time.

Use your e-brake. That's why you have one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arrange with your dealer to take the service manager for a drive so he/she can see the behaviour occurring.

Don't do anything else until you have done this, and keep pushing them until they do it and see the problem occur!

If the dealer doesn't want to do this, contact GMH customer service and harangue them.
Sorry. Should of mentioned that I've had him come for a ride, said he would try the same test on one of their cars. Haven't heard anything from him yet. He looked surprised but obviously wouldn't comment on it.

I did manage to start it with the clutch rolling backwards lol

Once it rolls, it takes about 10s to turn over.

MP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's nothing wrong with your car. The engine is a low compression 1.4L, it will not hold the weight of the car on a hill for an extended period of time.

I understand that, but when the engine won't even hold on a driveway of 5 degrees, when it used to hold on steeper grades I'm a little worried.
if the handbrake were ever to fail, it has no backup.

ive already had it fail once before which sent the car plummeting down the driveway, cross the street and smash into a tree. About 20 mins after I parked it.
Thank christ it was about 10 minutes before school kids got let out.
I put it down to an error I may have done but am now realizing that it was probably a malfunction.

MP

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 6.3L @ 11:1 will hold on a hill in gear, but that's a little different than these 1.4s. I'd call it normal. I have noticed how much easier the Cruze coasts than either of my v8s and just feels lighter decelerating.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi,

It no longer holds in first gear (or any gear) on a hill. It will start slipping down.

I do not believe it is the clutch, as there is no sign on slippage (even on big hills).
I have marked the drive belt with chalk and only to find when the car slips on the hill the belt moves.

I have read reports of bad pistons sent out with this model... does anybody know this was a localized problem or globally?

Of course the dealer wants nothing to do with this at the moment and they insist on them running their own tests on their cars in the yard.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan,

I am sorry you are experiencing this concern. You can always contact GM Customer Service in Australia at 1800 033 349 in regards to this issue.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
You don't mention what engine you have in your car or if you are carrying anything heavy in the car. If you have a diesel I would say you have a big problem.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I think it unreasonable to expect the engine to hold the vehicle on a incline......although some larger engines can, it really is not a design consideration.
Remember the 'turn wheels toward curb' thing back in the drivers ed days......that and set the e-brake.
I imagine a new, tight, not yet broken in engine would have more resistance to this, but as the OP has found out...it isn't a replacement for the handbrake.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Just visualize this: one & onehalf liters (83 cubic inches) of 9.5:1 compression isn't gonna stop / hold-back a 3100+ pound vehicle on a hill...gravity wins this tug-o-war!

Reactions: EcoDave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the car moves backwards, it feels like it is in neutral.

I guess you are all right.
I just can't believe that I can only rely on my handbrake, and handbrake alone. No backup whatsoever. Turning the wheels towards the kerb cannot happen as the only real incline the car sits on is my driveway. No kerb there.

MP

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

Exactly. The weight of the car is more than the engine can hold. Use the parking brake

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I understand that, but when the engine won't even hold on a driveway of 5 degrees, when it used to hold on steeper grades I'm a little worried.
if the handbrake were ever to fail, it has no backup.

ive already had it fail once before which sent the car plummeting down the driveway, cross the street and smash into a tree. About 20 mins after I parked it.
Thank christ it was about 10 minutes before school kids got let out.
I put it down to an error I may have done but am now realizing that it was probably a malfunction.

MP
Leave your wheels turned toward the curb or the edge of the road, that way if everything fails it won't roll down the hill. The transmission has never been meant to hold a vehicle in place to back up the parking brake. If it was a piston issue you would be losing oil

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Ryan

Been there! according to my dealer it is normal for a manual transmission to turn over on a hill see my post/thread. Possible Compression issue. It is not the clutch, the engine is definitely turning over one stroke at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.