Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of ordering a Yakima roof rack for my cruze. I will be carrying two sit on top kayaks on it and was wondering where is a good place to tie the bow strap down at. I cant seem to find a tow hook or anything solid directly under the front bumper.

Thanks for all your help

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Neither can I, think 2004 was the last year they put tow hooks on vehicles, 04 Cavalier had them, see many with 2005's asking where the tow hooks are. Don't have to be used for towing, but you have to strap the front end of a kayak down. All I can find on the front end of my Cruze is plastic. That would break off!

Some say vehicles have a slot on the subframe using a special hook, be darned if I can find these on the Cruze. If it did, kind of thin sheet metal, designed to crush in an accident. Others suggested mounting a trail hitch, sure can't use that for pulling out a vehicle, only rated for 1,000 pounds pulling, also looks like thin sheet metal.

But would be okay for tying down a kayak or holding a couple of super light weight bikes.

I just gave up and using an older vehicle made of real steal for my kayak. Also rated for a class II hitch.

Now I have another problem, wife wants me to figure out how to mount our kayak on top of our motorhome. Replied, that thing is over ten foot high, how would we get it up there? And if we did, can't find a flat spot, AC's, vents, and all kinds of pipes sticking up there. Guess we will have to rent one.

Was watching How its Made. showed a German manufacturer that makes a wooden fold up kayak, but only holds one person, can fit in a backpack, but only run a couple of thousand each.

Seen one or two capacity kayak trailers on the internet, run around 1,600 bucks. weigh around 300 pounds that would be another solution. Just takes money.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i know you can tie somewhere inside the hood. I saw a youtube installation video where they stuck a long platic inside and it just held on.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If you feel really motivated to build a permanent solution for your car, and you can weld, you could try something similar to what I did. I made a... thing, that bolts to the steel bumper that drops down below the license plate.
WP_000143.jpg WP_000144.jpg WP_000146.jpg WP_000873.jpg

I welded the aluminum parts together, didn't just leave it riveted together :p It has a pair of 13mm bolts through the top and out the bottom of the steel bumper. This is it's 4th summer in there and it's been used in excess of 300 (seriously) times. I have a hitch on the back that I tie to as well, use the draw bar without a ball to keep the rope off the paint. Rope rubs on the bottom of the license plate in the front, I don't care about that. Not sure I would trust a plate wedged under the hood to hold things down, might ruin the lip of your hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts