Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching has yielded mixed results, so I wanted to get some opinions on roof racks and their effect on fuel econ and highway performance.

I have a 2014 eco manual.

I am looking to put a Thule rack on with two fork mount bike racks.

I have a set of the older square bars and feet I could put on, but was curious if anyone had noticed any improvement with the newer aero bars (rapid podium).

Back in the day I had a saturn that had over a 12 mpg difference roof rack to not, so now I find myself wondering if it is worth the investment to put a rack on the commuter car for the long trips, or just suck it up and use my suburban that already has a bike hitch rack.

If anyone has similar setups I would appreciate some post's with rack configuration and avg highway mpg est. How have you found that it affects the performance on the highway (IE passing, acceleration).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't looking at this route for two reasons. I don't really want to put a receiver on the car, and the rack on the suburban is a Thule T2, which only fits 2" recievers. If there is a good way to adapt this rack I would certainly consider this option but it seemed like a messy setup. I also have the roof rack from a previous car, so cost is actually in favor of the roof rack where I would just have to buy the proper fit kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Receiver hitch is much cheaper than a roof rack. Only need to get a CURT 45791 adapter to use a 2in rack in your 1 1/4 cruze receiver. The cruze hitch is completely hidden with only the receiver showing, even fits the RS packaged cars.

EDIT: Question

What brand is your old roof rack? I have an old Yakima rack & after checking my bars were the correct size I just needed to buy new clips for the cruze.
Ok interesting, what make/model hitch is that you mentioned that hides away?

The old roof rack is a thule with 400xt feet. It is the same situation where I could just change the fit kit for about $80 bucks. That being said I am interested in the hitch solution as well. The hitch rack I have is much nicer then the bike trays I have for the roof rack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after thinking about it with that adapter your bike rack could end up being out to far from car and could scrape entering driveways. Someone with the hitch would have to comment about that.
After looking at the measurements I think I am going to shy away from the hitch rack. With the rack I have, I believe clearance will become an issue. This is a good point, thank you for bringing it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy gave me his thule traverse mounts, thule square bars and end links all i had to buy was the mount kit for the cruze, ran me like 60 bucks with tax. a front fairing will help out the rack a bit lol.....either way you'll still end up loosing something.
Any gas mileage numbers with this setup? I have thule experience in the past, but do you find the rack is straight forward to take on and put off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.