Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Just a thought, I realize your Suburban receiver is 2 vs 1 1/4 for the cruze curt hitch, but wouldn't it be cheaper to get the cruze hitch and use an adapter to use your current receiver bike rack?

Roof or rear mount both will effect MPG, roof is much worse.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I wasn't looking at this route for two reasons. I don't really want to put a receiver on the car, and the rack on the suburban is a Thule T2, which only fits 2" recievers. If there is a good way to adapt this rack I would certainly consider this option but it seemed like a messy setup.
Receiver hitch is much cheaper than a roof rack. Only need to get a CURT 45785 adapter to use a 2in rack in your 1 1/4 cruze receiver. The cruze hitch is completely hidden with only the receiver showing, even fits the RS packaged cars.

EDIT: Question

I also have the roof rack from a previous car, so cost is actually in favor of the roof rack where I would just have to buy the proper fit kit.
What brand is your old roof rack? I have an old Yakima rack & after checking my bars were the correct size I just needed to buy new clips for the cruze.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Ok interesting, what make/model hitch is that you mentioned that hides away?

The old roof rack is a thule with 400xt feet. It is the same situation where I could just change the fit kit for about $80 bucks. That being said I am interested in the hitch solution as well. The hitch rack I have is much nicer then the bike trays I have for the roof rack.
The original post I made I had that adapter part number incorrect, I have since edited the post. after thinking about it with that adapter your bike rack could end up being out to far from car and could scrape entering driveways. Someone with the hitch would have to comment about that.

There is a how to topic with the Curt hitches installed on the cruze, photos on multiple pages so make sure to read the thread.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/145-appearance-body/3451-how-install-cruze-hitch.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.