Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolute love this oil. its done wonders over the years for my vw 1.8 gas turbo, cbr1000, 95 grand Cherokee v8 and I wish it was dexos 2 for the ctd. I emailed shell to see if it was on the approved list( I know its not) and to see if they plan on going after the certification. emailed me back and looks like a no go. so far finding dexos 2 oil has been a pita. all the bottles on the dexos 2 list here local only have dexos 1 on the bottle. think I might just say f it and run t6 or castol edge gold bottle with titanium ( even tho the Castrol is gas rated on the back not diesel)

any one here that has hit high miles mark have used it and had no issues?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Just to muddy the waters further, look for Mobil 3000....this is a Dexos 2 rated (claimed) fully synthetic product that may be easier for you to find.....this is the oil the dealer I hang out is using....essentially a better oil than the GM labelled procuct in theory.

Have used Rotella forever in piston powered light aircraft.....always has been the oul of choice and Shell advertises that fact.
The oil formulation changed for auto oils some years back....apparently much less phosphates and zinc.....the older car crowd soon found that all engines with flat tappet cams (as opposed to rollers) were grinding the lobes off the cams and grinding the hardened bottom of the lifter off.
The Rotella is diesel rated, there is a lot of flat tappet industrial diesel still in service and that oil eliminates the cam problem.
With that in mind, those running older flat tappet gas engines switched to Rotella and no one I know has had a recurrence of the cam problem.

I suspect Shell doesn't want to bother taking on the expense of a Dexos certification to get the label....I figure the oil would be acceptable.....but the labelling would be nice.

Rob

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Worst oil you could put in a CTD. Even in gasoline engines, it has no place. Poor shear stability, poor volatility, and an unsuitable detergent package. That bandwagon needs to die. Don't use this oil in Any Cruze unless you want to be replacing expensive emissions control equipment.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Is a GM dealer far from you? The AC Delco dexos 2 here is only $5.80 a qt. Not a bad price and from what I have read not a bad oil. I will find out when I send in a sample later on this year when I get about 5k miles on the oil. Then I will see how well it is doing. Amazon is another option to order oil from if you live out in the sticks and driving to a local auto parts place it just not worth it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've been using T6 for sometime in a few different turbo cars. I like it better then the oil I was using before.

What do you mean about replacing emissions related parts?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Worst oil you could put in a CTD. Even in gasoline engines, it has no place. Poor shear stability, poor volatility, and an unsuitable detergent package. That bandwagon needs to die. Don't use this oil in Any Cruze unless you want to be replacing expensive emissions control equipment.
Putting down shell oil isn't very becoming in my opinion. I used t6 in an old mercedes diesel and it had over 250k miles and ran very well when I sold it. The only oil used in the car for the last 175k miles. I realize a 95 mercedes is different than a current Cruze with a turbo. i am on free oil changes so not sure what I plan to use after the next two changes for my 14 Cruze.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work at Chevrolet so oil is no issues. I have had great success with t6 in my jeep and it has flat tappetes. My 1990 cbr1000 has 45,000 miles with rottela and no issues. I think shell does not want to pay the certificate fee, heck in the past they held out for many years to get the motorcycle oil certificate in rottela. On all my turbo cars t6 has been great but in the expensive turbo iv used castrol edge gold bottle but the oil doughnut on the back says gas not diesel

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I second what KpaxFAQ said. You will have DPF and other emissions issues by not using a low SAPS oil.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
pandrad - let me get this right: 1) you work for Chevrolet; 2) you drive a jeep and a Honda; and, 3) you are contemplating using a non dexos2 oil in a GM engine that requires it?

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Putting down shell oil isn't very becoming in my opinion. I used t6 in an old mercedes diesel and it had over 250k miles and ran very well when I sold it. The only oil used in the car for the last 175k miles. I realize a 95 mercedes is different than a current Cruze with a turbo. i am on free oil changes so not sure what I plan to use after the next two changes for my 14 Cruze.
Yes, a 95 Mercedes is very different. We are talking 20 years of lubrication technology advancements. That vehicle was made to run on oil of far poorer quality than Rotella T6, and will run reliably on those lubricants as well, given that they are used according to their usable drain interval. The truth is that anecdote is worthless. You cannot say "I never had an issue," because that doesn't guarantee that someone else wouldn't.

The reality is that Rotella T6 is a group 3 petroleum oil with a poor shear stability and a high volatility. I have seen more analysis reports where that oil sheared down a viscosity grade from its original viscosity than I have where it didn't. When an oil shears, the already high 11% NOACK volatility goes even higher. My 300ZX customers see it shear an entire viscosity grade in 2500 miles. My Miata customers cannot use it for over 2000 miles because it shears. In addition, this oil has reformulated at least once in recent history, for the worse. This is of course in response to the use of that oil in gasoline engines. It belongs in older diesel engines, where you used it, and nowhere else.

As noted by others here, the high sulfated ash content in Rotella T6 makes it unsuitable for use in this application, where it will cause problems with the diesel particulate filter and possibly sensors. There's a considerable variety of mid-saps and low-saps oils available for use in the CTD. Please take eveyrone's advice on this matter and save yourself some headache.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Basically you have three main choices to send the sample to.
1. Tests / Price List2. Oil Testing Lab - Oil Analysis Kit - Oil Analyzers INC.
3. DysonAnalysis
Worth mentioning, is that Oil Analyzers, Inc is just AMSOIL's private label for Polaris Labs. Among other private labels include Conoco-Phillips, Cummins, Ingersoll-Rand, and Allison Transmission. They are the best oil analysis reporting company in the US. I advise against Blackstone Labs because their fuel dilution testing is wildly inaccurate and has led them to make incorrect interpretations of the oil's condition. In addition, they do not test oxidation. OAI/Polaris uses gas chromatography to test for actual fuel dilution, tests for oxidation, and includes TBN testing standard for all analysis reports, whereas Blackstone charges extra. I haven't personally used Dyson much so I can't comment on that.

If you do end up using OAI, please consider using the URL below so I get credit for the order instead of some random local dealer you've never met.

AMSOIL Oil Analyzers Test Kit, Postage Pre-Paid

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks extreme for the link. And yes tomoko has my 95 gc and my cbr1000, at the moment I I still get free oil changes so not worried but I'm looking ahead. Eventually I won't have the free maintenance and it would be nice to get options

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you want an in-depth analysis, Dyson Analysis is the way to go. No other lab gives you the personnel attention that Terry will provide. He sends you a PDF report and a .wav file explaining each and every part of the test. Plus turn around time is quick. If you mail in a sample on Monday, you will get a report back by Friday some times even sooner. At least that has been my experience over the past few samples I have sent in. You also can e-mail Terry with any questions. He is a Navy veteran and has over 35 years of experience of independent oil analysis interpretation and consultation work.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
how much does terry charge for his services? he sounds good
Terry has 4 levels of analysis. You can see more info on them here. The one I described above is $149. Yes it is expensive, but he has directed me to issues I didn't know I had. So it helped me. His knowledge and experience is not like the cookie cutter responses that most labs provide from their data base of similar analysis. Terry takes into consideration the type/ brand of fuel you use, air filter and oil filter as well as the mechanical condition of the vehicle. Like if you have issues with your ignition system and might have a bad plug or coil due this showing up in your UOA. You can even call and talk to him personally, or text/e-mail.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Yes, a 95 Mercedes is very different. We are talking 20 years of lubrication technology advancements. That vehicle was made to run on oil of far poorer quality than Rotella T6, and will run reliably on those lubricants as well, given that they are used according to their usable drain interval. The truth is that anecdote is worthless. You cannot say "I never had an issue," because that doesn't guarantee that someone else wouldn't.

The reality is that Rotella T6 is a group 3 petroleum oil with a poor shear stability and a high volatility. I have seen more analysis reports where that oil sheared down a viscosity grade from its original viscosity than I have where it didn't. When an oil shears, the already high 11% NOACK volatility goes even higher. My 300ZX customers see it shear an entire viscosity grade in 2500 miles. My Miata customers cannot use it for over 2000 miles because it shears. In addition, this oil has reformulated at least once in recent history, for the worse. This is of course in response to the use of that oil in gasoline engines. It belongs in older diesel engines, where you used it, and nowhere else.

As noted by others here, the high sulfated ash content in Rotella T6 makes it unsuitable for use in this application, where it will cause problems with the diesel particulate filter and possibly sensors. There's a considerable variety of mid-saps and low-saps oils available for use in the CTD. Please take eveyrone's advice on this matter and save yourself some headache.
I was only stating and perhaps I wasn't very clear, in the application I used t6 it worked very well for over 175k miles, the car was falling apart and the engine ran very well. So I can safely say "I never had and issue" and I know the buyer of the car and it is still running very well. T6 was made for a pre emmisions diesel just like I used it for. I don't own a Cruze diesel and wouldn't put that oil in the Cruze. Used for the correct application t6 can work well for a long time. I always use an oil that is designed for my current car.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
If you want an in-depth analysis, Dyson Analysis is the way to go. No other lab gives you the personnel attention that Terry will provide. He sends you a PDF report and a .wav file explaining each and every part of the test. Plus turn around time is quick. If you mail in a sample on Monday, you will get a report back by Friday some times even sooner. At least that has been my experience over the past few samples I have sent in. You also can e-mail Terry with any questions. He is a Navy veteran and has over 35 years of experience of independent oil analysis interpretation and consultation work.
I remember him now. My customers don't bother using him since I provide those services for free, and in the scope of automotive engine oil analysis, interpretation isn't all that difficult. I may recommend others to him if they need to get industrial machinery lubricants analyzed, however.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts