Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car runs rough mainly at idle with a/c on and just a little with the a/c off but doesn't jump rpms at all. Also no check engine light after about 2 weeks of this going on.
The problem occured after i washed my car. I did crack the hood just to get between to hood and the grill. Maybe water got into something is what I'm starting to think because it ran fine before i washed it.
PCV Valve has already been bypassed and i took everything apart for the bypass besides the nipple going into the intake. I re-taped the threads and even replaced the check valve with the exact same one. I went ahead and replaced the valve cover since it has a lifetime warranty. Then i replaced the vaccuum hose from the intake to the turbo. Still runs rough even though the rpm is steady
So i got to looking on what else it could be and i saw that maybe low refrigerant could be the issue so i checked the pressure and it was good.
Could it be that the computer got wet? The ends are open in away that water might have gotten in there. I am going to try to check the computer and see if anything looks like it got wet.
If it is the ecu can you just buy another that I guess would have to match the vin and just hook it up and be good to go?
Whatever it is is putting a strain on my engine.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you have a way to see real live data or data log? What do your fuel trims look like?

I would check the spark plugs first.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What year is the car? That'll potentially help narrow down the issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a way to see real live data or data log? What do your fuel trims look like?

I would check the spark plugs first.
No i do not.
Ngk Spark plugs and MSD coil pack where installed a few weeks back.
It runs rough at low idle but the rpms are steady. Once i get around 2,000 rpm and higher it runs better then it did before after doing what i mentioned before.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
974 Posts
No i do not.
Ngk Spark plugs and MSD coil pack where installed a few weeks back.
It runs rough at low idle but the rpms are steady. Once i get around 2,000 rpm and higher it runs better then it did before after doing what i mentioned before.
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. That’s a tell tale sign that once you give it throttle it cleans up. I left a small hose off mine once and it ran exactly like you describe. Almost stalled at stop lights. Cleaned up after I took off.

·
Administrator
25,430 Posts
Sounds like a Gen 1 with the PCV valve work. If so, pull the spark plug rail out and release the coils. We've seen your exact symptoms when one of the coils is caught on the side of the boot. Then very carefully put the rail back in place. Note - you don't need to pull the plugs themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. That’s a tell tale sign that once you give it throttle it cleans up. I left a small hose off mine once and it ran exactly like you describe. Almost stalled at stop lights. Cleaned up after I took off.
The thing is this all happened after i washed my car. If it is a vacuum leak it is different then anything I've dealt with in this car. I know what you mean though.
I will double check over everything and see if i come across something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a Gen 1 with the PCV valve work. If so, pull the spark plug rail out and release the coils. We've seen your exact symptoms when one of the coils is caught on the side of the boot. Then very carefully put the rail back in place. Note - you don't need to pull the plugs themselves.
Is it possible to have coils caught and not have fluctuations in the rpm?
I will check that on my next run through.

·
Administrator
25,430 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No. It's not noticeable at higher RPMs though.
I check the coils and straighten them all out. Still the same.
I did find that there seems to be a small motor oil leak coming from the pan on the front passenger side. Ive check my oil at least once a week and have noticed nothing noticeable. Wasnt that way on my last oil change about 2 months ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts