Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is the option of the electric heater, but has anyone actually seen where it is located in the engine? From what I have been reading, it was only available on the Diesels a few years ago, Now they have added it to the manual transmission vehicles with a larger battery and more powerful alternator?

Could this be an attempt to compensate manual drivers since they cannot get a remote start in their vehicles from the factory for those cold winter warms ups..?

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Best regards

Jason

·
2,170 Posts
I'd love to have that in my car. In the winter it takes forever for the coolant warm up which means I have no heat for the first 15-20 minutes of my journey. The little 1.4 just doesn't generate a lot of heat on back roads cruising in 6th at 45-50 mph.

·
10,712 Posts
I'd love to have that in my car. In the winter it takes forever for the coolant warm up which means I have no heat for the first 15-20 minutes of my journey. The little 1.4 just doesn't generate a lot of heat on back roads cruising in 6th at 45-50 mph.
The 1.4 generates heat but it's super efficient at shedding it too. Amsoil Dominator works a little bit faster but having the heat on the lowest setting is the best bet. In 40*F temps I accidentally left my car running while waiting for an ambulance to show up, 45 mins later the needle only moved 1 tick from cold. Remote start on a non diesel wouldn't help heat the interior but heated seats would be nice.

This is Gen 2 LT manual we are talking about it's being added to?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Sounds like an attempt to get the manual car to warm up faster since there's no remote start available, as stated in Original Post. I always wondered too ... why not put an electrically driven A/C compressor on these smaller engine cars? Less drag on the pulley driven systems/engine and would most likely improve fuel mileage, but I digress. Heated seats are definitely nice in the winter too!

·
2,170 Posts
The 1.4 generates heat but it's super efficient at shedding it too. Amsoil Dominator works a little bit faster but having the heat on the lowest setting is the best bet. In 40*F temps I accidentally left my car running while waiting for an ambulance to show up, 45 mins later the needle only moved 1 tick from cold. Remote start on a non diesel wouldn't help heat the interior but heated seats would be nice.

This is Gen 2 LT manual we are talking about it's being added to?
Pretty sure it's the gen 2 that has this added.

For my gen 1, the gauge on the instrument cluster has almost nothing to do with the actual engine temperature. It's computer controlled, I've watched my ultra gauge and the needle only starts moving when the engine temp reaches 110F and it stops one tick below half when it reaches 175F. However, the actual engine temp will continue to climb up to 225F before the thermostat opens. In the winter, it fluctuates between 215F and 225F. The vast majority of the time the temp stays right at 220F. But the dashboard needle won't move at all once it reaches 175F. In the summer when the AC is on, for some reason the temp will fluctuate between 200F and 226F.

If the car recognizes an overheating condition, the needle will spike up to 3/4 or full hot depending on how bad it's overheating. Not sure what the actual temps are to trigger the overheating since mine hasn't done that yet.

·
10,712 Posts
Wish I had digital temps like the 11/12 have. My SGII doesn't work with my car so I been in the dark on temps. 45 mins it was just about comfortable to not need gloves when shifting gears or hold the wheel.

Heated wheel is also a nice feature, seems like newer GM only heats up part of the wheel if an entire section is "wood trimmed" like Escalade vs Acadia Denali where both wheels are identical. Have Not used it on the premier, forgot to press the button on test drive.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
When it was dead winter here in Illinois I would go outside, start my car, crank the heat, lock it with the second key, and come back to it 10 minutes later and it was toasty warm and the temp needle would be halfway to halfway, heat worked great!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all, thanks for the information and insight. I will be picking it up most likely this weekend from the dealer. They had to go quite a distance to do a dealer trade as there are virtually NO manual cars up here in Ontario for the Cruze.

I also plan on adding a oil pan heater. I was recommended to use a KATS heater

Jason

·
10,712 Posts
Manuals are hard to find and my dealer refuses to order one. I spotted 2 online if I was willing to drive and see how they compare to my 6MT eco. If they are still there I may take that drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts