Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a '17 Cruze Premier Hatch. All the ones they have in stock locally have the RS package. It looks great, but how's the ride? I mostly drive on local New England roads riddled with potholes, cracks, etc. And that's not to mention the winter weather.

The sport suspension and 18" low profile tires on my current car (Hyundai Veloster) are far too bumpy for me (not to mention my wife). Nailing a large pothole can sound like a gunshot, and you feel every imperfection on the street. Sure, it handles great, but...

Would I be better off sticking with the stock 17" wheels on the Premier? Or even dropping down to the 16" alloys on the LT?

Thanks!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,215 Posts
Im surrounded by crap roads - the one i live directly off of is filled with potholes. The 18" Premier isn't bad on rough roads at all - it's stiffer for sure, but it is never jarring and absorbs all but large imperfections surprisingly well. On the other hand, the 16" 2016 LT floats over them like a little Buick. Nowhere near as fun in the corners though.

Test drive one and see what you think. I have heard that the Michelin tires are useless in snow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a recent purchaser of a 2017 hatch premier with the rs, its really not that bad on potholes and bumpy roads. I live in New England as well and its really a non-issue unless you are super sensitive to and bumps in the road. Also, the Michelin's are junk in the snow. I had a set of Continental ProContact DWSs on the last cruze and cant wait to go back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am driving a 2017 Cruze LT RS with 8000KM on it. About 10% of the time it drives politely over minor imperfections in the road surface with only the usual pitter pat tire noise. The rest of the time it thumps and crashes and rattles at the least hint of a bump in the road.
I wonder if the RS cladding might be partially to blame? All the doors seem to rattle and a very heavy crashing sound and feel is evident some where under the car. The dealer can't "REPLICATE" (GM weasel talk for don't care) the condition, anyone here had this problem?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Only problem I've had with my 17 RS. Is rumbling exhaust when it's 10 degrees outside. That quickly goes away when it warms up.

There's one stretch of road between home and work that sucks in the semi but the cruze does pretty well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 17 premier RS. 18s have good handling but can be bumpy. Also 18s are expensive, and my dealer doesn't carry them so if you need to replace one (I'm replacing my second) its not fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts