Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Cruze 1.4 Turbo has been running cold the last few days (around the 1/4 mark). It has been very warm outside so this has been puzzling. The first day my temp gauge was fluctuating from just below 1/2 to the 1/4 mark. It seemed very erratic. First thing I did was check my coolant reservoir and sure enough it was very low, below the hose inlet. I will admit that I haven't kept good tabs on the coolant level since I bought the car new in 2014. I have never added coolant before so I don't know how long it was low for. After adding coolant I bled air out of the radiator bleed and then topped it off again. The engine temp now stays around the 1/4 mark, only once I have seen if creep close to 1/2 but then it quickly cooled down again. Do you think that I just have air in the system still? One time I got it to start bubbling in the reservoir and thought that maybe the air would be gone after that but no luck. It didn't seem like it was boiling, more like air bubbles. I can't see any external leaks in the system either. Will air work its way out of the system over time? Will I hurt it by running it cold like that? Just not sure what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,058 Posts
You shouldn't need to add coolant really, you likely have a leak. Have you checked around for that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn't need to add coolant really, you likely have a leak. Have you checked around for that?
I see nothing leaking, no signs of wet spots anywhere. I have read on other forums that losing coolant isn't uncommon for the cruze. Something about the type of coolant. But I don't know how true that is.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,058 Posts
I see nothing leaking, no signs of wet spots anywhere. I have read on other forums that losing coolant isn't uncommon for the cruze. Something about the type of coolant. But I don't know how true that is.
I've never heard of a car just using coolant, how much are we talkin'?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard of a car just using coolant, how much are we talkin'?
Well in 5-6yrs I lost enough to put it just below the hose in the reservoir. But like I said I have no idea if this has been happening over a long period of time or if I just lost it instantly. I think the reports of losing coolant have been due to a bad seal on the cap, which might let some of it flash off and out of the system.

But I don't know how else to bleed air out of this system, or if air will bleed out by itself over time. Not really sure whats going on here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. Temp gauge fully stopped working and I got the "AC off due to over temp" message. So my coolant sensor must have just been slowly failing. I replaced both of them and everything is back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts