Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cruze Hatchback RS Premier
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's done this a few times now. After a warm-er day and going to a cold morning, the Cruze will run cold the entire way to work. Almost as if the thermostat is getting stuck open, the car will not get up to operating temp for the first 25-30 minutes and the interior heat won't really work great. The dealership disregarded me saying that "it takes longer to heat up when it's colder". I've also had it act up when getting off the interstate and seen it drop from 185 to 160 while waiting for the light to change (it was like 5* out but still seems wrong). Anyone else run into this issue?

2016.5 Cruze Premier has 24,500 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Something is not right.

I have a 2016.5 LT and during the -5F last week, my heater warmed up right away and my temp gauge didn't flux at all, stayed in the usual spot it's always in. Interstate and off.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
I've driven 20 minutes in single digits with my 2016 with the heater blasting away, including a 60 mph highway jaunt, and the temp gauge never hit the mark where it normally runs (it ranged from the 1/3 to 2 tick marks below the normal OT point [1 tick over halfway]). There was plenty of heat, which there usually is after ~5 minutes, but it definitely wasn't warmed up fully.

Lots of idle or low speed driving will cause the heat to be sucked out of the engine faster than it's made.

·
Registered
2018 Cruze Hatchback RS Premier
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but it wasn't a consistent thing. The next day, same temperatures (give or take 3 degrees) and it was up to temp and warm inside within 7 minutes (before I got on the interstate).

Thaks for the reply

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a 16.5 LT can drive 20-25 minutes to town on a -20c day get up to temp and as soon as i get to a stop light or go under 60kmh temp will drop. heats on full blower bout 3/4 still hot out the vents. buddy has a wrx that does the same thing probably just the small engine cant make enough heat at idle/low rpm.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Your water circulation is slower at idle. and with idle being only 750 rpm. That's pretty slow. And with your heater on. THat's a secondary cooler.

With temps that cold. Your car is going to cool down at idle. Specially if there's a wind blowing through your radiator while idling.

The coldest we've seen is 20. Even that cooled my car down and it's only got 2500 miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts