Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I know this is unorthodox... most people will just say buy a CAI, but atm I just can't afford it.
After reading post after post regarding airbox mods, swiss cheesing, or just plain cutting the maf housing out of the stock airbox for a cone, I ended up taking off the entire bottom of the airbox off. I didn't want to damage my stock box and end up regretting it....

Happy with the result! The bpv can be heard slightly with the windows up but I could still use a bit more! I'd like to hear it a little with the windows down if possible.
My question is, If I put the bottom of the box back on, but leave a space (where there is an inch or so of open space separating the top and bottom of the airbox that way the filter is still open) you think it would amplify the sound a bit more?
Alternatively, what If I shortened the intake pipe...? think I could I get a little more that way?
or maybe i've peaked.... lol.

here are some pics for my cruzers who wanna hear the turbo as much as possible on a budget of $60.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,334 Posts
So I know this is unorthodox... most people will just say buy a CAI, but atm I just can't afford it.
After reading post after post regarding airbox mods, swiss cheesing, or just plain cutting the maf housing out of the stock airbox for a cone, I ended up taking off the entire bottom of the airbox off. I didn't want to damage my stock box and end up regretting it....

Happy with the result! The bpv can be heard slightly with the windows up but I could still use a bit more! I'd like to hear it a little with the windows down if possible.
My question is, If I put the bottom of the box back on, but leave a space (where there is an inch or so of open space separating the top and bottom of the airbox that way the filter is still open) you think it would amplify the sound a bit more?
Alternatively, what If I shortened the intake pipe...? think I could I get a little more that way?

here are some pics for my cruzers who wanna hear the turbo as much as possible on a budget of $60.
View attachment 290228 View attachment 290229
I'm one of those people who will tell you to buy a CAI. BUT, I understand not having the money. The older version of me would just leave it stock until I could afford a proper upgrade. HOWEVER, the younger version of me, (16-19 years old) used to build his own CAI's out of plumbing parts. I used to use PVC pipe (with a MAF cutout) with a round K&N filter on the end of it and rubber elbows to connect it to the throttle body.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since when is a bungee cord an engine component?

As said already, you are pulling hot engine air in which does not help things and I almost guarantee that you have an improper seal on that filter which is allowing dirt particles in that will eventually sandpaper the cylinder walls.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
544 Posts
Since when is a bungee cord an engine component?

As said already, you are pulling hot engine air in which does not help things and I almost guarantee that you have an improper seal on that filter which is allowing dirt particles in that will eventually sandpaper the cylinder walls.
Sounds like a ticking time bomb.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Reactions: Diamond193

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts

View attachment 290228 View attachment 290229
I have a Spectra short ram intake that I’ll give you for the cost of shipping. It cost me about $175 but I upgraded to ZZP’s CAI. You will definitely hear the turbo. It’s just sitting in a box with my other parts. It resembles the K&N short ram intake.

You combine that with the $15 dollar Turbo bypass spring from ZZP and it sounds great!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,890 Posts

ZZP Upgraded Bypass Valve Springs - $13 shipped

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Are you calling me a *******?
Nope. We have lots of people here in Indiana who tow small trailers behind cars. I just thought that looked like your car so I was asking?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Sounds like all show and no go!!! Save up and tune for a bov. Opening up the exhaust too with a down pipe and mid pipe would help.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Reactions: Valpo Cruze
1 - 20 of 22 Posts