Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm curious if anyone else has seen this? I believe my Cruze is running rich based on the constant soot on and around the tailpipe, and my less than expected mileage (for a M6 Eco). I rarely go open-loop, and it happens in warm and cold weather. Anyone else have this?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I think its a flaw in the theory of downsized boosted engines. The engine works in a region where soot is produced more frequently (higher load regions) than a historically sized engine for this size vehicle.

Manufactures are struggling to meet particulate matter requirements on some of their downsized boosted engine applications, had many meetings about this lately...

·
Registered
437 Posts
my normal operating range is 2-4k (almost never below 2k) and mine looks just like yours on my white MT Eco. Glad to see its not just me :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
You should see what happens to white Acura TL's. It actually turns the white paint yellow!

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Loading it up in the low RPM's will produce soot... :( downsized boosted = soot
That's what I am thinking. Keep the engine above 2000 RPM (except when cruising at very low load) and you should see less soot and better MPG. This car just doesn't have the displacement to be puttering around at 1000RPM, you have next to no torque until the turbo kicks in. I don't have any soot at all on mine and I don't think I drive it any different than most of you. If you do find a mechanical problem def get the word out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One more upside to having the RS package. Sorry to hear about that for you guys! I HATE soot on the rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
My tailpipe is quite sooty too. Normal for my car. Response and MPG's are great. Most of my time is spent in highway-style driving, with only a little stop-and-go driving. So I'm in 6th at 1300-1800 RPM almost always.

I rarely go above 3000 RPM's. Maybe 3-4 times a week for just a few seconds at a time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 11' has a sooty exhaustpipe as well, I was actually thinking about it earlier. I do load it up at low speeds when driving around town, but it's mainly highway driving (75mph, 2900RPM) I have a black LT so there is no noticeable soot on the bumper itself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are a couple of other possible reasons that there is soot. Being that this is a turbo engine car, the turbo bearing will leak a very small amount of oil into the air tubes and intercooler that does get into the engine and is burned. This will produce more soot.

Also, modern engines have catalytic converters. The computer commands the fuel injectors to add extra fuel to the engine to actually "cool" the converter and keep it running at a lower temperature so that it does not burn out. Thus more soot. This also reduces gas mileage 1 or 2 MPG's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would this be the similar case of what happens with a TD? All the black smoke that pours out when the turbo usually hits boost..?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts