Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So it seems like our diesel's new favorite thing is running rough when you first start it. I'm not sure how long it's been doing this, but of course it wasn't when I first noticed it - my wife, for whatever reason, seems just to "forget" to tell me these things in the hopes that it goes away (the car deciding to give her the "Change Oil Soon" message exactly at 0% instead of 5%, is a different story...).

Anyway, when you first start the vehicle (this isn't always the case, sometimes it's fine, but it seems like the times I've cold-started it, it does it) it starts up just fine, but it shakes at idle, almost like it's missing. If you give it a little throttle (as in, hold the pedal steady at, say, 10% throttle), RPMs increase almost in a "stepping" fashion - as in they "jump" to increase, instead of a nice, steady, linear fashion like is normal. When you go to drive it, you can definitely feel this hesitation it has as you accelerate - and god forbid you need to command any kind of medium/higher throttle, because it is very annoyed with that.

All this behavior goes away very quickly, and it runs perfectly fine.

There aren't any codes, and fuel economy seems to be normal. I'm leaning towards the EGR valve sticking because the engine is cold - think I'm on the right track here? If that's the case, where is this thing located so I can remove it and give it a good cleaning (do we have a How-to yet?).

Reactions: pacolino

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're on the right track with the EGR valve.
Me too, given the symptoms. On diesels, they like to get all nice and sooty, and sticky.

·
Site Sponsor
102 Posts
Me too, given the symptoms. On diesels, they like to get all nice and sooty, and sticky.
If you do remove it and clean it, would you mine posting how you did it? Been looking for a write up on it.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Almost sounds like bad sparkplug cables on a gasser.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's a write up of how to remove it in the 'how to' section, I didn't remove mine when I deleted because I defaults to closed so unplugging it does the same thing as removing it. After I did that I realized it wasn't near as difficult to get to as I was expecting so it's now on my short list of things to do when I have time.

FWIW, for the past 20 years or so I've used something diesel powered almost every day. I've never seen a diesel that isn't a little cranky when its cold. I always just let them warm up and work through it. Sometimes that means you need to start them before you are ready to go.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the most part, probably related to it being warmer now, I haven't noticed this as much - though I'd have to ask my wife if it is or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts