Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've noticed some bubbling rust appearing on my 2011. It's affecting the metal trim pieces that divide the two panels of glass in both rear doors - sorry I don't know the actual name of the piece itself:

I'm not sure how much I should be concerned about this as it seems to be cosmetic more than anything at the moment, but I'd definitely like to treat it before it gets any worse. Salty winter roads up here in Canada definitely take their toll.

What would be the best way to treat this or replace the part if treatment is not an option?

Any advice would be really helpful, thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,645 Posts
Pull the door seal off and sand it until the rust is gone, start with about 100 grit and go up. Remember most higher grit papers require water. You can just dip the paper occasionally as I would do this by hand. Once it looks sand feels smooth, dry everything off and mask the door and the glass so you don't get over spray on anything. Spray some rust reformer type primer and then topcaot with close match to the original color. The longest parts will be getting the materials and then the masking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the tips, really helpful... I will give that a try this weekend!

Should a standard Tremclad rust inhibiting primer and a can of black Plastidip do the job?

Finally, do you know if the chrome trim attached to the door can be removed easily enough? Does it just clip in place and pop up?

Thanks again! Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks so much for the tips, really helpful... I will give that a try this weekend!

Should a standard Tremclad rust inhibiting primer and a can of black Plastidip do the job?

View attachment 287653 View attachment 287654

Finally, do you know if the chrome trim attached to the door can be removed easily enough? Does it just clip in place and pop up?

Thanks again! Really appreciate it!
Reminds me to work on rust build up on aunt's truck. Did you try those stuff?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts