Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gauge has been working great for over 2 years, however, a few weeks ago I noticed that the cruise control would shut off. At first it was about every 15 minutes, then it got to be every 30 seconds and the DIC displayed a message to service the power steering. I noticed that the readings on the gauge would disappear for a second at the same time. It also seemed the engine would run a little rough (not sure). When I disconnect the gauge the car runs normally, but as soon as I plug it in the problems return. I didn't think the gauge could affect the car's computer system, but now I 'm afraid to plug it in. I reported the problem to [email protected]. They responded "The ScanGauge should cause any issues with the drivability of the vehicle. Does the cable feel hot or rigid? Have you noticed the ScanGauge exhibiting any strange behavior? What is the software version on your ScanGauge? To check this select MORE>MORE>MORE>VERSION or MORE>MORE>scroll to VERSION." I believe they meant "should not cause any issues with ". Since the software was written for the Cruise diesel and has worked well for over 2 years I don't think that is the cause. I will post if they find the answer. I am wondering if anyone else has had Scangauge problems.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
That is weird for sure.

Curious...have you done the Negative Battery Cable replacement yet?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Might be worth a shot, a lot of electrical anomalies seem to originate with that crimp issue. Just for grins I carry a spare negative battery cable around and will be replacing it at the first sign of any electrical “weirdness”.

So far my SG2 is working fine but its only a few months old so not much help there...hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The gauge has been working great for over 2 years, however, a few weeks ago I noticed that the cruise control would shut off. At first it was about every 15 minutes, then it got to be every 30 seconds and the DIC displayed a message to service the power steering. I noticed that the readings on the gauge would disappear for a second at the same time. It also seemed the engine would run a little rough (not sure). When I disconnect the gauge the car runs normally, but as soon as I plug it in the problems return. I didn't think the gauge could affect the car's computer system, but now I 'm afraid to plug it in. I reported the problem to [email protected]. They responded "The ScanGauge should cause any issues with the drivability of the vehicle. Does the cable feel hot or rigid? Have you noticed the ScanGauge exhibiting any strange behavior? What is the software version on your ScanGauge? To check this select MORE>MORE>MORE>VERSION or MORE>MORE>scroll to VERSION." I believe they meant "should not cause any issues with ". Since the software was written for the Cruise diesel and has worked well for over 2 years I don't think that is the cause. I will post if they find the answer. I am wondering if anyone else has had Scangauge problems.
I've not used my ScanGuage, because I got Snipesy's app, Biscan for GM. That said the OBD Port CAN cause problems.. the OnStar can't run diagnostics if an OBD2 reader is plugged in.. verified this. The Torque app can stay on, keeping the adapter live, AND ECU on and draining the Battery verified this too. Having said that, it is entirely possible a ScanGuage malfunction can cause ECU confusion and the symptoms you describe.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I reported the problem to [email protected]. They responded "The ScanGauge should cause any issues with the drivability of the vehicle. Does the cable feel hot or rigid? Have you noticed the ScanGauge exhibiting any strange behavior? What is the software version on your ScanGauge? To check this select MORE>MORE>MORE>VERSION or MORE>MORE>scroll to VERSION." I believe they meant "should not cause any issues with "...
Revisiting your original post...I think you’re right about their response omitting the word “NOT”. I wonder if they’ll stand behind that and send you a replacement unit to prove it?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The software wasn't written for the cruze diesel. It was written for all diesel's.

YES, the scangauge is or can be the culprit. You are describing the same symptons i had in a kenworth. The last straw came when the repair bill was $6,000. I never had a problem before it got plugged in and never had a problem after it went bye bye.

And it's highly unlikely you'll get a replacement unit after 2 years. It don't come with a lifetime replacement policy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Since I do have a ScanGuage I'm not likely to ever use, new in box, programmed for Cruze Diesel.. PM and make offer if you can't get a replacement form Linear Logic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. They wanted me to try plugging it into the other port, however, no difference. Snowwy66 that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to have an expensive problem. Also the warranty is three years so it's covered.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
The software wasn't written for the cruze diesel. It was written for all diesel's.

YES, the scangauge is or can be the culprit. You are describing the same symptons i had in a kenworth. The last straw came when the repair bill was $6,000. I never had a problem before it got plugged in and never had a problem after it went bye bye.

And it's highly unlikely you'll get a replacement unit after 2 years. It don't come with a lifetime replacement policy.
There is programming on the ScanGauge for our Diesel's that was specifically put on there for the Cruze Diesel. I was the one who tested the first unit and was informed a custom firmware for the Cruze Diesel would be made for it and loaded on to it along with a few pre-programmed XGauges.

Also, to add to this thread, my ScanGauge has had a screen abnormality. It almost seems like lines are starting from the top and scrolling their way down to the bottom. Very faint lines, but slightly visible. Not sure if the screen is going on it or not. I'll be keeping an eye on it. It's only noticeable if you're focusing directly on it.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
CAN is pretty strict. You would need either a big capacitor or an arc welder to cause any electrical damage through obd2.

The worse 'damage' that can be done is polluting the bus with garbage data. Maybe the + and - wires got shorted together, or maybe the adapter is simply sending too much. Again though, the system is designed to handle this. You will get scary messages and the engine might shut off, but that's it really.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
There is programming on the ScanGauge for our Diesel's that was specifically put on there for the Cruze Diesel. I was the one who tested the first unit and was informed a custom firmware for the Cruze Diesel would be made for it and loaded on to it along with a few pre-programmed XGauges.

Also, to add to this thread, my ScanGauge has had a screen abnormality. It almost seems like lines are starting from the top and scrolling their way down to the bottom. Very faint lines, but slightly visible. Not sure if the screen is going on it or not. I'll be keeping an eye on it. It's only noticeable if you're focusing directly on it.
I had that same screen issue. Occasionally

What makes teh cruze different from everything else that it needs a different program?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Started having the exact same symptoms today...Cruise Control wouldn’t stay set more than 30 seconds and Service Power Steering light.

I happened to notice the Scangauge ‘blinked’ off/on when it happened one time. Then I remembered this thread.

Unplugged the Scangauge and ran 50 miles without issue. Plugged the Scangauge back in, got the symptoms immediately. Unplugged it and drove another 200 miles with no issues.

The SG unit is about 18 months old.

@Barefeet did they ever replace your Scangauge? (I don’t really use it much anymore since the OZ magic tune, just curious)

Reactions: Barefeet

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting, I have the exact same problem, and it also messed up the mpg readings on the DIC, so mine stays unplugged. I miss being able to know when a regeneration starts and ends. I thought there was some problem with the car, like the ground cable, so I took it to the dealer. they told me the scan gauge was the problem and said this was a known problem with the scan gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The Linear Logic website says it’s covered by a 3-year warranty.

Here’s the LINK

I’m going to print my invoice and mail it in for repair.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Linear Logic website says it’s covered by a 3-year warranty.

Here’s the LINK

I’m going to print my invoice and mail it in for repair.
You know that the place is in Mesa right? I took mine in and had it reprogrammed on the spot when I switched from the Sonic to the CTD. You visit the real world on occasion right?

Linear Logic, LLC

2222 S. Dobson Rd Suite 800
Mesa, Arizona 85202
Phone: 480-656-4089

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
You know that the place is in Mesa right? I took mine in and had it reprogrammed on the spot when I switched from the Sonic to the CTD. You visit the real world on occasion right?

Linear Logic, LLC

Mesa, Arizona 85202
Yep, but I’m 170 miles away and not in any hurry...I’ll let UPS do the driving.

Reactions: sailurman

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I called them up, told them the issue I was having, and they sent me a new one.

Linear Logic, LLC

Mesa, Arizona 85202
Yep, but I’m 170 miles away and not in any hurry...I’ll let UPS do the driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts