Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm the ScanGauge developer LiveTrash has been working with. I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

Would this fit in the compartment in front of the shift level? Looks like it may be too wide.
I'm not sure of the dimensions of the compartment, but I know the ScanGauge is 4.8 Inches wide x 1.5 inches tall x 1 inch deep. LiveTrash may know better than I do since he's currently testing one out.

Is it easy to program these perimeters into the Scan Gauge II?
It's fairly easy to be honest. You just need to punch in a sequence of numbers/letters as the ScanGauge prompts you for them. If anything it's just a little tedious. However during this testing period I'll likely have these XGauges pre-programmed into the firmware so they won't have to be typed in. I'm still working on coming up with more so at worst you may have to type in any new ones that come out after your unit was originally programmed.

I have one of these already can it be updated to read the parameters you are listing for the TD.
As i do not think they are already there
If anyone currently has a ScanGauge and would like this firmware I'd be happy to update your unit with this firmware. Just send your unit to:

Linear Logic LLC
ATTN: James DeLong
2222 S. Dobson Rd
STE 800
Mesa, AZ 85202

Just include a note that you'd like the Cruze Diesel firmware and your desired return address. The update and return shipping are free. If you're outside the United States contact me via E-mail first ([email protected]) and we can arrange an update if possible.

If there are any other questions feel free to ask away. Also, if there are any other parameters you'd like the ScanGauge to monitor just let me know and I'll see what I can do. Most likely if it's reported via the ECU we should be able to monitor it.

James DeLong
Linear Logic LLC

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am concerned about the accuracy of the grams of soot in the second picture. Mine has never gone over 20 - can anybody comment on why there was 35 grams displayed?
I believe your concern is warranted. I've found a possible error in the XGauge code which may have caused a reading of roughly 3x the correct value. I've sent LiveTrash a corrected XGauge. I believe with the corrected code that 32.5 grams will actually read about 12-13 grams.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Please confirm that if I order one it will have the updated code. i like the smaller size of this one.
I've just finished the firmware that will have certain XGauges pre-programmed into it that appear to be reading properly. The Soot Mass parameter is using the updated code. This is the current list of pre-programmed XGauges:

RGN - DPF Regen Status (0 = Off, 1 = Active, 2 = Completed, 3 = Inhibited)
EG1 - Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
EG2 - Exhuast Gas Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
EG3 - Exhaust Gas Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
STM - DPF Soot Mass (Grams)
LVL - Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level (%)
RNG - Diesel Exhaust Fluid Range (Miles)
ADC - Average DEF Consumption (g/mile)
LBS - Remaining DEF in Tank (Pounds)
IA2 - Intake Air Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
IA3 - Intake Air Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TFT - Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
EOP - Engine Oil Pressure (PSI)

As new codes come out they'll probably be added to the pre-programmed list. Anything new that's not pre-programmed can simply be entered by the user into the ScanGauge and it should work if they have the experimental firmware (4.31CD).

·
Registered
16 Posts
What did you end up paying? The site lists this the Scangauge II at $169.95. Did you get $50 off of that with the code that was listed on an earlier page?
The CruzeDiesel coupon code had all it's redemption's used by late yesterday, but I've increased the number of allowed redemption's this morning so it should be working again. The total should come to $119.95 + any shipping charges.

Very glad to see you're with us here, James! I've been a loyal fan of your products for almost 8 years now. I was going to send mine in for updates a few years back, but I couldn't bring myself to drive without it.
Wow, 8 years! That goes back to nearly the first SG2's! Glad to hear you're happy, and if you ever do decide to send your unit in for an update just put a note in there that you're from the CruzeTalk forums and mark it to my attention - I'll get it updated for free.

I've also updated the pre-programmed XGauge list to include the following:

TSS - Torque Converter Clutch Slip Speed (RPM)
GRT - Gear Ratio (X.XX : 1)
GER - Current Gear (13 = Neutral, 14 = Reverse, 15 = Park, 1 = 1st, 2 = 2nd, etc)

I'll keep adding to the list as results come in from our testers. If anyone with the experimental firmware wants the XGauges to these new pre-programmed XGauges, or for any of the experimental XGauges just send an E-mail to [email protected].

·
Registered
16 Posts
@LinearLogic I actually just order the gauge, but I completely spaced on the window mount. How do I go about adding one to my current order? I see the mounts listed on your site, but I don't see anyway to add them to the cart.
No problem. I believe I know which order is yours based on the purchase time, but if you could send me a PM with your details just so I can be sure. I'll make sure we get a mount added to your order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Linear Logic, do you ship it to Canada (Mississauga,Ontario) too? because I don't see it when you enter the country and postal code at the checkout, thanks.
There's a link on the side of the page for International Orders. From there you'll be able to get it shipped to your address. It looks like it sends them a contact form by email. Make sure you specify in the Comments & Special Instruction that you're looking for the Cruze Diesel test model and that you'd like to use the CruzeDiesel coupon code (if any are still available).
LiveTrash is correct. If you fill out the International Orders form and put that you would like the Chevy Cruze experimental firmware with the $50 discount in the comments section our orders department will know what to do. We have to use that international orders form since it's the only way we currently have to quote you an accurate shipping price to Canada. You can also call in your order (1-888-433-5664) and mention you want the Chevy Cruze firmware version, and whomever is taking your order should be aware of the $50 discount. If for any reason they don't just ask to talk to me (James).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I placed my order Sunday night, and it looks like it will be here Wednesday. Thanks for the quick shipping and discount!

James, I do have some questions/requests. Would it be possible to do an X-Gauge for rate of soot mass accumulation in mg/mile? I think it would interesting to see how different driving styles, additives, winter/summer fuels, tunes and conditions accumulate soot in real time.
Well, unfortunately from what I've seen the ECU doesn't report the rate of soot mass accumulation, just how much has accumulated. With the available data we currently have a rough hand calculation is possible, though the resolution would be somewhat limited. The Soot Mass Level is reported in whole grams, so we couldn't get it down to mg/Mile unfortunately. Still, you could figure out roughly how many miles driven per gram of soot accumulated.

Fuel pressures and injector balance rates would also be nice to have if possible.
Currently working on Fuel Pressure. We've gotten a 'Desired Fuel Pressure' XGauge working, but I'd rather get an Actual Fuel Pressure reading. The injector balance rates appear available, so I'll work on adding those.

I'm looking at mounting mine up above the rearview mirror or up along the windshield. My only concern is trying to remove the A pillar cover to run the wire. Not thrilled messing around in that area with the air bag there. Any suggestions?
Routing through the A-Pillar is always tricky, and with the airbag there it may be a better idea to mount it on the steering column as LiveTrash suggests.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I got it mounted up along the windshield and I like it there, now to see how well it does driving down the road. It feels pretty secure and I ran the cable along the A pillar kind of under the door seal so it isn't in the way of the air bag but doesn't effect the door seal either.
Looks good! Glad it worked out with routing the cable.

Also, here's a full list of the sensors we have XGauges for. They appear to be working properly:

• DPF Regen Status (0 = Off, 1 = Active, 2 = Completed, 3 = Inhibited)
  • Distance since Last Regen (Miles)
  • Number of Completed Regens (#)
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • DPF Soot Mass (Grams)
  • Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level (%)
  • Diesel Exhaust Fluid Range (Miles) (Note: Shows 4095 until range drops below 4095 Miles)
  • Average DEF Consumption (g/mile)
  • Remaining DEF in Tank (Pounds)
  • Intake Air Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Intake Air Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Engine Oil Pressure (PSI)
  • Torque Converter Clutch Slip Speed (RPM)
  • Gear Ratio (X.XX : 1)
  • Current Gear (13 = Neutral, 14 = Reverse, 15 = Park, 1 = 1st, 2 = 2nd, etc)
  • Main Injection Timing (Degrees)
  • Fuel Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Cylinder Balancing Rates (cubic mm)

If anyone that currently has an experimental firmware ScanGauge that doesn't have some of these XGauges (some were added later than the first experimental units) just contact me at [email protected] and I can send you the XGauge info on all of them. I would post them here, but they require a yet unreleased ScanGauge firmware to work at all so for now I'll E-mail them to those who have the experimental firmware.

As of right now we have a pretty good test group going and everything appears to be working properly, so I'll likely end the 'CruzeDiesel' coupon code in the next day or so. I'll probably still leave it up so people can use it to indicate they'd like to try the experimental firmware, but the discount will likely be gone or greatly reduced, so get your orders in now while you can!

Also, anyone that currently owns a ScanGauge can send it in for a free update. Just indicate that you want the Cruze Diesel special firmware and mark it to my attention (James) and I'll get you set up with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My "diesel exhaust fluid range" is showing 4095 miles. It is interesting since my DEF tank was filled up when I purchased the car and I have since put 6k miles on it. My LVL is showing 100.
The Diesel Exhaust Fluid Range sensor seems a bit unique in the fact that the data range given to it doesn't appear to cover normal operational values. Normally parameters are given data ranges that go well beyond what's expected so that almost no matter what the reading doesn't go off scale. For example I've seen temperature sensors that have data ranges that go all the way down to absolute zero. The sensor itself would probably break before it would go off scale. However, in this case the DEF Range can easily exceed 4095 Miles, but that's the max reading it can show. I can only guess why that is as I don't know exactly how they measure the DEF level. Perhaps they only measure the DEF level at a point that's below the tanks capacity and consider anything above that just extra full.

Either way, I suspect that once the range actually drops below 4095 you'll see it start ticking down as you drive.

Can anyone tell me why there are 3 exh gas temp gauges and 2 intake air gauges? They all read different when I scroll thru them. Any info on why there is more than 1 gauge for each of them? If the temps are from different locations in the system, does anyone know where guage 1 is sensing from? Guage 2 sensing from? etc.
There are multiple Exhaust Gas Temperature readings since there are multiple points at which the exhaust gas temp is monitored. I believe EG1 is Post DOC and EG2 is post DPF, and as for EG3 I'm not sure. Usually people can infer where an EGT sensor is located based on what the temperature reads before, during, and after a regen occurs. Roughly the same explanation for the intake air temp readings. I'm not sure where they're located physically, but based on how they behave we can likely figure out where they may be.

• NCR Number of Completed Regens (#)
Does this one work for you? It does not work on the CTS.
My understanding is that the NCR XGauge being tested did increment up 1 after a regen was completed, so it's looking like it works for the ScanGauge 2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just installed mine a few minutes ago and love it. I wrapped the wire around the steering column a couple times and then tucked the gauge in there. Looks good, even if I have to lean up slightly to see it.

I don't have these on mine - do I have to set them up somehow?

• DSR Distance since Last Regen (Miles)
  • NCR Number of Completed Regens (#)
Some of the early units didn't have those pre-programmed in since we hadn't tested them yet. However I've sent you a PM with the XGauge data needed to add those gauges.

Took mine out and captured another regen while cruising Woodward Ave in my CTD :grin:, very insightful way to monitor the event. Will it be possible to monitor the dP sensor in the future?

Well worth the money!
Glad you're finding it useful! Differenital Pressure should be an option. I will see if I can get that figured out by next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Will it be possible to monitor the dP sensor in the future?
We now have a DPF Differential Pressure XGauge that appears to be working properly. Anyone that wants to try it out, just contact me at [email protected] and I'll get you set up with the XGauge code.

Also, I'm going to leave the CruzeDiesel coupon code active with a $25 discount instead of ending it completely. We're continuing to add new XGauges, so I still want to offer a discount as a way to say thanks for any future feedback they may provide on newly developed XGauges.

I also want to thank LiveTrash for getting this all started and testing out pretty much every XGauge I came up with so we could better sort out the good from the bad before they reached everyone else. Also, I want to thank everyone here for their comments, questions, and feedback. It helps tremendously to have a group of people who can give ideas on what sensor data to look for, and can give feedback on whether the results look reasonable or not.

I'm still working on developing more XGauges though, so if anyone has a gauge they'd like to monitor just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did not come with torque, only torque converter clutch slip.
The FIA intake air temp not working.
TPS not working
Yea, for some reason these aren't supported. It's odd, but at the very least IA2 and IA3 make up for the intake air temperature. I could probably find one for Throttle Position if it's really needed.

HPR calculated horsepower was reading 84 at maximum acceleration so I increased it by 90%, it now reads 156 at max acceleration does this seem close? Should I readjust it?
HPR will become more accurate as you do fill-ups with the ScanGauge, so just be sure to perform the fill-up procedure on the ScanGauge each time you fill up your tank. This is also a gross horsepower reading, and not net horsepower in case you were aiming for it to be net horsepower.

When I was setting up the gauge I mistakenly edited a line in the X-gauge edit. I was trying to go back to previous screen and I hit plus and minus a few times. I'm not sure if this affected anything, however everything else seems to be working fine.
If everything is working well I wouldn't worry about it. XGauges won't save unless you go through the entire process and hit save at the end. If you ever need to go back to a previous section of an XGauge you're entering, the best option is to either hit the home button and go back and edit it again from the start or just keep going and save it, then go back to the section you need to edit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.