1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Interesting! i like the compact size.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am concerned about the accuracy of the grams of soot in the second picture. Mine has never gone over 20 - can anybody comment on why there was 35 grams displayed?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I believe your concern is warranted. I've found a possible error in the XGauge code which may have caused a reading of roughly 3x the correct value. I've sent LiveTrash a corrected XGauge. I believe with the corrected code that 32.5 grams will actually read about 12-13 grams.
Awesome, thanks. Please confirm that if I order one it will have the updated code. i like the smaller size of this one.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sounds good, I just placed my order

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
What did you end up paying? The site lists this the Scangauge II at $169.95. Did you get $50 off of that with the code that was listed on an earlier page?

yes, it was like 131 with shipping added

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Had a regen today. Gauge works as expected except for Distance Since Last Regen (DSR) reading. Maybe it's a gauge code problem or it may just not work at all, we'll find out.

I know diesel has monitored at least a few regens with his Insight CTS. When does it stop the regen, diesel? Mine stopped at 3 and then shortly after jumped up to 4 grams. I noticed it start shortly before pulling into a lot. I held the RPM's up at 2,000 for a little while and then finished off the rest of the regen with a quick highway drive.
Mine starts at 19-20 and ends at 3. Sometimes it will stay at 3 for a while, other times it's back up to 12 before I know it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I placed my order Sunday night, and it looks like it will be here Wednesday. Thanks for the quick shipping and discount!

James, I do have some questions/requests. Would it be possible to do an X-Gauge for rate of soot mass accumulation in mg/mile? I think it would interesting to see how different driving styles, additives, winter/summer fuels, tunes and conditions accumulate soot in real time.
Fuel pressures and injector balance rates would also be nice to have if possible.

Thanks for taking the time to develop X-Gauges for the diesel Cruze, it is appreciated.

Keith
Even if they could calculate the rate, the soot accumulation that is reported is too erratic to be meaningful. For example, I can build up 10 grams on the highway at 75 MPH in 50 miles and then the next gram on the same trip takes 300 miles. One time I ran 750 miles on the same soot count.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Just installed mine a few minutes ago and love it. I wrapped the wire around the steering column a couple times and then tucked the gauge in there. Looks good, even if I have to lean up slightly to see it.

I don't have these on mine - do I have to set them up somehow?

• DSR Distance since Last Regen (Miles)
  • NCR Number of Completed Regens (#)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I had another regen today. I got to the store when it was at 13 grams and figured I'd see how it behaves when I interrupt the regen. I turned the car off at 13 grams of soot, with RGN showing 1. I get back in the car about 15 mins later and turn the vehicle on. Still showing 13 grams of soot and RGN now showing 0. I figured maybe it may show 3 (which is inhibited), but it did not. I'm now thinking it may only show 3 when it has been fully inhibited and requires a manual regen. After pulling back onto the road and sitting in a bit of traffic, the RGN gauge changed back to 1 and the regen continued until it finished at 3 grams and the RGN gauge displayed 2 for completed.

So for those of you monitoring your first regens and unsure if you're able to safely turn the vehicle off mid-regen, it seems that it works just fine if you can't continue and must turn it off (at least once).
I know it will continue at least a couple times. It will also continue burning soot even when the RGN status shows 0 during a regen, like in stop and go traffic. I guess it still remains hot enough to burn off the soot without the need to inject the extra fuel constantly. The regen status goes between 0 and 1 several times during the active regen, but only in stop and go traffic. If you are on the highway, it stays on until it is complete.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
This is interesting. I'm very curious as to what the cause of this is. I went 2 years (52500 miles) and had 109 regens. Its now been 2 weeks (maybe 300 miles) and I've had 4-5 regens.
Just a theory, but I think it may have to do with the way the prior regen was completed. When I did my 2000 RPM sitting still regen, the next 2 regens after that were short. It was 4-5 regens after that before they started getting back over 750 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Wow! Look what I miss when I don't log in for a few weeks! I just ordered mine today. I missed out on the $50 discount, but this product looks too good to pass up!

Thanks for all the work you've done on this. I'm assuming if we order using the CruzeDiesel code it will come preloaded with the latest firmware, correct?
Mine did.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Soot, regen, manifold absolute pressure, and number of completed regens. Note: I learned that if the MAP drops much below 13, you are in for an unexpected surprise with a failed regen. If I ever see it drop below 14 and I am close to a regen, I will keep driving. On that day when I went immediately from 22-35 grams of soot, the MAP was 12.8 and the engine sounded different.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Where did you learn that, and what does MAP have to do with a regen?
My observations. MAP will drop noticably below 14 when it has started a regen, based on my initial observations and also during a regen Thursday.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I had interrupted a regen and parked the car overnight. When I started it up the next day, the MAP was 13.7 (instead of 14 or higher when not in regen mode) but the regen didn't actually resume until about 10-15 minutes of driving, and not until i got out on the highway. I wonder what all parameters need to be in place to have a regen start.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
From what I've observed, the temperature seems to be the only requirement. I've had regens begin in the city and on the highway once the vehicle has reached full operating temperature.
I wonder if it is a single temp or a combination of different sensor readings.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've never really noticed mine being too bright at night, but then again, I have it mounted on top of the steering column so i don't really see it unless I lean up.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I will repost my question from my own thread here, as I only had this information about regen due to my awesome ScanGauge.

Any ideas, folks? :)
I posted in your other thread.

Does it dim when the interior lights (not dome/map, cluster, etc) come on?
Not that I noticed. Seems fixed level.

Reactions: mrbrefast

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
DID anyone ever figure out how to do a manual regen, without going to the dealership?
No, but this would probably be my single biggest wish list item, however since I figured out how to avoid the condition that causes this to be needed (pre-regen), it's not as big a wish as it once was.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I just wish the **** car told you it was doing one. But the light would probably terrify some people, so can't tell anyone.

Those kinds of people probably get scared by a turn signal indicator.
The problem is, during the pre-regen danger zone, the regen indicator is still off. You have to look at other parameters (manifold pressure) to determine when you are in the danger zone.

I can't say how long it takes to do a driving regen, but in my 2015 Pete, it takes at least 3 hours of highway driving with some uphills to clean the DPF. I know this because my truck told me that it was about time to do a regen, but I was driving on flat ground loaded but the engine wasn't loaded enough in Florida to be able to clean while driving. I had to do a parked regen because of this.
From my experience, it's roughly 10-15 minutes in the CTD, give or take.

Reactions: MRO1791
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.