Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
So after my recent attempt at trying to find a gauge for my CTD and trying an Edge Insight CTS with no luck (defective unit, last one in stock in my area), I decided to look around for a less expensive alternative. I came across ScanGauge and am currently working with the Development Engineer to get it working fully with the Chevy Cruze Diesel.

I have a custom unit that currently shows a Regen status along with various other working gauges such as Boost PSI, voltages, temperatures, etc. He is working on adding other gauges such as Soot Grams and DEF level gauges. It is quite a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives, such as the Edge Insight CTS and is capable of showing more information than most other gauges. It is able to read and clear codes, has trip monitoring, fuel consumption statistics, the works. It's quite an impressive and compact unit. I'm very pleased with it so far.

If you're interested in this unit, check out the website to read up more on it. I'll be keeping this post updated regularly as more gauges are enabled for this unit.

I just thought you guys may be interested in this as I've seen some posts from people asking about gauges. Below is a screenshot displaying some gauges and a performance video.

Regen Status (shown as RGN), is indicated in numbered states
0 = Off
1 = Active
2 = Completed
3 = Inhibited

The others are pretty self explanatory.
Vehicle Car Auto part Odometer Measuring instrument

TFT = Transmission Fluid Temperature (Shown in Fahrenheit)
STM = Soot Mass in the DPF (Shown in grams) (Not sure on the accuracy of this. I'll have to see how it changes when the car enters a regen)
Soot Mass gauge is inaccurate in photo. Should be showing 12-13 grams.
Technology Auto part Electronics Electronic device Display device

---------------------------------------

July 28th EDIT: Just received a reply from the Development Engineer. He's worked out gauges for the following:
Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting accurate data.
Exhaust Gas Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Reporting accurate data.
Exhaust Gas Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Reporting accurate data.
DPF Soot Mass (Grams)
Reporting accurate data.
DEF Level (%)
Reporting data. Unsure of accuracy
DEF Range (Miles)
Average DEF Consumption (g/km)
Remaining DEF in Tank (lbs)
DEF Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting data. Unsure of accuracy

Some of those, mainly the DEF readings, I didn't even think the vehicle would read at all. I'll be testing these out shortly and will let you all know how it goes!

EDIT: So all these gauges report data and they seem to be functioning as intended. I'll need to wait for a regen to occur so I can see how the data for the Regen Status and DPF Soot Mass behaves.

July 29th EDIT: I've received some m
ore gauges from the Development Engineer. I'll post them below and some pictures showing the gauges on the device itself.
Intake Air Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting accurate data.
Intake Air Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Reporting accurate data.
Charge Air Cooler Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting no data
Relative Humidity (%) Reporting no data
Extended MAP (PSI) Reporting no data
Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting accurate data.

July 30th EDIT: I received 2 more gauges. These ones will come in handy if they work! I'll test them tomorrow.
Engine Oil Pressure (PSI) Reporting accurate data.
Torque Delivered (Ft-Lbs)
Reporting accurate data.

EDIT: Tested the 2 gauges above and they seem to be reporting accurate data!

August 3rd EDIT: 3 more gauges available that I will be testing tomorrow.
Torque Converter Clutch Slip Speed (RPM) Reporting accurate data.
Gear Ratio (x.xx:1) Reporting accurate data,
Current Gear (13 = Neutral, 14 = Reverse, 15 = Park, 1 = 1st gear, 2 = 2nd, etc) Reporting accurate data.

August 4th EDIT: A couple more DPF related gauges I will be trying out tomorrow. They may or may not work. Let's hope they do!
Distance Since Last DPF Regeneration (Miles) Reporting inaccurate data.
Number of Completed DPF Regenerations (#)
Reporting accurate data.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Display device Auto part

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lets hope he can get the other gauges operational. I would seriously consider this. I looks great.
I've edited the main post with the gauge names he's sent me. I've tested the following and they are all reporting data:
Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Exhaust Gas Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Exhaust Gas Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
DPF Soot Mass (Grams)
DEF Level (%)
DEF Range (Miles)

Average DEF Consumption (g/km)
Remaining DEF in Tank (lbs)
DEF Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)

I have yet to observe my vehicle go into a regen state to see how the data for Regen Status and DPF Soot Mass behaves. When I do, I'll let you guys know! So far things are looking promising.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine Oil Pressure (PSI) and Torque Delivered (Ft-Lbs) have been added and are working great!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do like the price and size of this unit. Any idea when the gauges will be available to the rest of us?
At the moment your guess is as good as mine. I'm not sure what else the Development Engineer needs to do to complete the testing on his end. He may have a few more gauges to input and test. As soon as I get word from him I'll let you all know.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've received a reply from the Development Engineer again and he's setup a system on the ScanGauge website to be able to purchase test units with a $50 discount. Here's a quote from the email I received.

I've added a coupon code to our checkout page (at www.ScanGauge.com) so people can use to indicate they'd like the experimental version. The coupon code is 'CruzeDiesel', and it will give them a $50 discount on a ScanGauge as our way of saying thanks for testing it out for us. I've set the coupon to allow up to 5 uses, but if there's demand for more than that I can kick it up a bit. I'll also see about having most of the working XGauges we've tested pre-programmed into the unit so people don't need to enter them all in. Also, since this is experimental, if for any reason people wish to return their unit we'll give them a refund even if it's past the 30-day risk free trial. Feel free to let them know, and if it's on a forum just let me know and I'd be happy to hop on and answer any questions they might have.

He mentioned that he'd be willing to come on the forum to answer questions, so if you have any, ask away!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would this fit in the compartment in front of the shift level? Looks like it may be too wide.
It's too wide to sit in there but I'm sure if you're handy enough you could come up with some make-shift holster for it that would allow it to sit snugly in that compartment. I'm still deciding where I'm going to permanently mount mine.

Thanks James. :)

I just ordered one and used the "CruzeDiesel" code at checkout. Looking forward to setting it up and reading, boost, TFT, and regen for the most part. I'm sure there are more, just can't remember them right now.
As James had mentioned, he's hoping to have most if not all of the gauges I've been testing pre-programmed into the unit that will be shipped to you. You can see all the ones that I've tested and the ones that are working on the main post of this thread.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Awesome, thanks. Please confirm that if I order one it will have the updated code. i like the smaller size of this one.
The new gauge for soot grams works now. I'm showing 17 grams and I expect a regen to occur soon. I'll be able to then see if the regen and soot mass gauges are functioning as intended.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Had a regen today. Gauge works as expected except for Distance Since Last Regen (DSR) reading. Maybe it's a gauge code problem or it may just not work at all, we'll find out.

I know diesel has monitored at least a few regens with his Insight CTS. When does it stop the regen, diesel? Mine stopped at 3 and then shortly after jumped up to 4 grams. I noticed it start shortly before pulling into a lot. I held the RPM's up at 2,000 for a little while and then finished off the rest of the regen with a quick highway drive.

Anyway, I'll edit this post shortly with a video link and some pictures of the regen occurring.

BEFORE:
Electronics Technology Electronic device Display device Auto part

NCR: Number of Completed Regens
RGN: Regen Status (0 = Not Running , 1 = Running , 2 = Finished , 3 = Inhibited)
STM: Soot Mass in Grams
DSR: Distance Since Last Regen (Not working)

DURING:

AFTER:
Technology Electronic device Auto part Measuring instrument Display device

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Received my scanguage on Friday and STM was at 20. Today as soon as it hit 22 the regen started. It went down to 3 and within 10 city miles was holding around 10.
This scanguage is very useful in monitoring. Glad I ordered one with the $50 discount. Has anyone found a good place to mount it? Mine is riding on the passenger seat at the moment.
That's exactly where mine's sitting. Since I have a developer unit I'm not mounting it yet. When I get my full unit from them I'll definitely find a place to mount it. I'm thinking of using the sticky tape or some sort of method to mount it as shown in the red circle. If you sit it on the angled part it's positioned perfectly so you can see the screen (for me anyway).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet cruze

Anyway, great to see that it's working for you! Hope it saves you from interrupting a regen and keeps you out of the dealer for an unnecessary visit.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Linear Logic, do you ship it to Canada (Mississauga,Ontario) too? because I don't see it when you enter the country and postal code at the checkout, thanks.
There's a link on the side of the page for International Orders. From there you'll be able to get it shipped to your address. It looks like it sends them a contact form by email. Make sure you specify in the Comments & Special Instruction that you're looking for the Cruze Diesel test model and that you'd like to use the CruzeDiesel coupon code (if any are still available).

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm looking at mounting mine up above the rearview mirror or up along the windshield. My only concern is trying to remove the A pillar cover to run the wire. Not thrilled messing around in that area with the air bag there. Any suggestions?
Taking the cover off won't be a problem, it's running the wire correctly along there so it doesn't interfere with the airbag that may be. I posted on the page before this I think it is where I may put mine. You can also consider placing it on the steering column as some have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, I got it mounted up along the windshield and I like it there, now to see how well it does driving down the road. It feels pretty secure and I ran the cable along the A pillar kind of under the door seal so it isn't in the way of the air bag but doesn't effect the door seal either.
This is what I was considering doing, or mounting it on the dash. What do you have it stuck up there with?
As for the door seal, the cable is rather thick, but as you said, it shouldn't interfere with the seal's operation. I have my dashcam wire running under the door seal as well.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
James, any chance to put the abbreviation in front of those Sensors? I know a few like TFT is transmission fluid temp but a few others not sure of. Thanks.

My "diesel exhaust fluid range" is showing 4095 miles. It is interesting since my DEF tank was filled up when I purchased the car and I have since put 6k miles on it. My LVL is showing 100.
I'll post them here as I have them all in my email communications with James.

• RGN DPF Regen Status (0 = Off, 1 = Active, 2 = Completed, 3 = Inhibited)
  • DSR Distance since Last Regen (Miles)
  • NCR Number of Completed Regens (#)
  • EG1 Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • EG2 Exhaust Gas Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • EG3 Exhaust Gas Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • STM DPF Soot Mass (Grams)
  • LVL Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level (%)
  • RNG Diesel Exhaust Fluid Range (Miles) (Note: Shows 4095 until range drops below 4095 Miles)
  • ADC Average DEF Consumption (g/mile)
  • LBS Remaining DEF in Tank (Pounds)
  • IA2 Intake Air Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • IA3 Intake Air Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • TFT Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • PSI Engine Oil Pressure (PSI)
  • RPM Torque Converter Clutch Slip Speed (RPM)
  • GRT Gear Ratio (X.XX : 1)
  • GER Current Gear (13 = Neutral, 14 = Reverse, 15 = Park, 1 = 1st, 2 = 2nd, etc)
  • MIT Main Injection Timing (Degrees)
  • FLT Fuel Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • ​BR1 Cylinder Balancing Rates (cubic mm) (More will be added for each cylinder)
The DEF Level may work the same way as DEF Range and only start changing at a certain point, possibly when there's 4095 miles remaining. This is beyond the gauge's control as this would be the vehicle's sensor that is not reading all of what is in the tank.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Does this one work for you? It does not work on the CTS.
Seems to be working fine. It showed 19 before I monitored my first regen with the ScanGauge II. After it completed, it jumped up to 20.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Got my gauge today thanks guys for the great deal and all the hard work put in. Had to go in to the dealer two weekends ago for a manual regen. Hope to not have to do that again now that we can see the soot level and regen status. Got the continue driving warning at startup one morning and before the chance to get it in gear it immediately went to reduced power and engine light on.
Dealer said it indicate 50grams of soot.... plus a p0133 code again. 3rd time now.
Number of complete regens is 82 car has 22500 miles. Seams high to me will have to do some research on this.

Thanks Again!!
So long as you keep an eye on the gauge it will certainly keep you out of the dealer for anymore manual regens. 50 grams of soot definitely seems like way too much. I don't think their meter or what ever they use was very accurate. You should see regens occurring around 20 grams of soot. Don't worry about turning the vehicle off if it shows around 20 grams, just try to avoid turning it off if RGN shows a 1 status. I think it'll allow 2 or 3 interruptions before a manual regen is required.

My car has a little under half the mileage yours does and has 20 completed regens. I drive it very conservatively, so if you drive it a little harder, or do more city driving, I'd say 82 regens for your mileage seems appropriate.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I had another regen today. I got to the store when it was at 13 grams and figured I'd see how it behaves when I interrupt the regen. I turned the car off at 13 grams of soot, with RGN showing 1. I get back in the car about 15 mins later and turn the vehicle on. Still showing 13 grams of soot and RGN now showing 0. I figured maybe it may show 3 (which is inhibited), but it did not. I'm now thinking it may only show 3 when it has been fully inhibited and requires a manual regen. After pulling back onto the road and sitting in a bit of traffic, the RGN gauge changed back to 1 and the regen continued until it finished at 3 grams and the RGN gauge displayed 2 for completed.

So for those of you monitoring your first regens and unsure if you're able to safely turn the vehicle off mid-regen, it seems that it works just fine if you can't continue and must turn it off (at least once).

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Exact same result for me. Shut down during regen and on next start it finished.

James, sent you an email about getting the latest gauges for my scanguage. What do I need to do on my end to make it happen? Mine is a test unit purchased about 2 weeks ago.
He'll get back to you with the codes you need to manually enter into the gauge. This video explains how it is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ggphJ60cDI

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Just curious guys, is there a way to bypass the DPF system on CTD? Just thinking out of the box...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Yes, but it will require re-working the vehicle's computer system so it doesn't send the car into low power mode and eventually shut down. It also won't allow it to meet emission standards and could be illegal depending on where you live.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Wow! Look what I miss when I don't log in for a few weeks! I just ordered mine today. I missed out on the $50 discount, but this product looks too good to pass up!

Thanks for all the work you've done on this. I'm assuming if we order using the CruzeDiesel code it will come preloaded with the latest firmware, correct?
Yes it will. It will also come with all the fully tested XGauges.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.