Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I use the Scan gauge to monitor RGN (Regen Status), STM (Soot), DST (Distance since last Regen) & EG1 (Exhaust Temp) most of the time. Soon I'll be towing and would like to monitor OP (oil Pressure), TFT (Transmission Fluid temp), WT (Water temp) & GER (Gear). Is there a way to preset different reading and toggle all four at once?
I don't think there is. I think you are stuck with 4.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The Torque app, plus the Biscan for GM plug in can monitor as many parameters as can fit on your Android phone display. The only parameter I don't have is Transmission Fluid Temp. I have oil pressure, all the emmisions monitors. I have a ScanGuage 2 for CTD, but it's still in the box new.. I'm finding the torque app/Biscan does all I need and more. I can also command a regen early, or even command a parked service Regen.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
11 Posts
So after my recent attempt at trying to find a gauge for my CTD and trying an Edge Insight CTS with no luck (defective unit, last one in stock in my area), I decided to look around for a less expensive alternative. I came across ScanGauge and am currently working with the Development Engineer to get it working fully with the Chevy Cruze Diesel.

I have a custom unit that currently shows a Regen status along with various other working gauges such as Boost PSI, voltages, temperatures, etc. He is working on adding other gauges such as Soot Grams and DEF level gauges. It is quite a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives, such as the Edge Insight CTS and is capable of showing more information than most other gauges. It is able to read and clear codes, has trip monitoring, fuel consumption statistics, the works. It's quite an impressive and compact unit. I'm very pleased with it so far.

If you're interested in this unit, check out the website to read up more on it. I'll be keeping this post updated regularly as more gauges are enabled for this unit.

I just thought you guys may be interested in this as I've seen some posts from people asking about gauges. Below is a screenshot displaying some gauges and a performance video.

Regen Status (shown as RGN), is indicated in numbered states
0 = Off
1 = Active
2 = Completed
3 = Inhibited

The others are pretty self explanatory.
View attachment 157474

TFT = Transmission Fluid Temperature (Shown in Fahrenheit)
STM = Soot Mass in the DPF (Shown in grams) (Not sure on the accuracy of this. I'll have to see how it changes when the car enters a regen)
Soot Mass gauge is inaccurate in photo. Should be showing 12-13 grams.
View attachment 157618

---------------------------------------

July 28th EDIT: Just received a reply from the Development Engineer. He's worked out gauges for the following:
Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting accurate data.
Exhaust Gas Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Reporting accurate data.
Exhaust Gas Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Reporting accurate data.
DPF Soot Mass (Grams)
Reporting accurate data.
DEF Level (%)
Reporting data. Unsure of accuracy
DEF Range (Miles)
Average DEF Consumption (g/km)
Remaining DEF in Tank (lbs)
DEF Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting data. Unsure of accuracy

Some of those, mainly the DEF readings, I didn't even think the vehicle would read at all. I'll be testing these out shortly and will let you all know how it goes!

EDIT: So all these gauges report data and they seem to be functioning as intended. I'll need to wait for a regen to occur so I can see how the data for the Regen Status and DPF Soot Mass behaves.

July 29th EDIT: I've received some m
ore gauges from the Development Engineer. I'll post them below and some pictures showing the gauges on the device itself.
Intake Air Temperature 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting accurate data.
Intake Air Temperature 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
Reporting accurate data.
Charge Air Cooler Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting no data
Relative Humidity (%) Reporting no data
Extended MAP (PSI) Reporting no data
Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit) Reporting accurate data.

July 30th EDIT: I received 2 more gauges. These ones will come in handy if they work! I'll test them tomorrow.
Engine Oil Pressure (PSI) Reporting accurate data.
Torque Delivered (Ft-Lbs)
Reporting accurate data.

EDIT: Tested the 2 gauges above and they seem to be reporting accurate data!

August 3rd EDIT: 3 more gauges available that I will be testing tomorrow.
Torque Converter Clutch Slip Speed (RPM) Reporting accurate data.
Gear Ratio (x.xx:1) Reporting accurate data,
Current Gear (13 = Neutral, 14 = Reverse, 15 = Park, 1 = 1st gear, 2 = 2nd, etc) Reporting accurate data.

August 4th EDIT: A couple more DPF related gauges I will be trying out tomorrow. They may or may not work. Let's hope they do!
Distance Since Last DPF Regeneration (Miles) Reporting inaccurate data.
Number of Completed DPF Regenerations (#)
Reporting accurate data.

View attachment 158385
what values for torque delivered are you using in the x-gauge menu? mine didn't come pre-programmed with it from linear logic

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
what values for torque delivered are you using in the x-gauge menu? mine didn't come pre-programmed with it from linear logic
Torque Delivered (Ft-Lbs)
TXD: 07E02CFE52E8
RXF: D2E803FE0000
RXD: 1810
MTH: 000300100000
NAM: TRQ

Is this a worthwhile addition to a tuned 2.0 CTD?
Tuned or not, yes. The ScanGauge is a worthwhile purchase if you're interested in monitoring your vehicles performance and regen cycles.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a scan gauge 2 & IMO best investment if monitoring your parameters instead of the idiot lights & hud gauge is your thing. Also I read that on diesels scan models will tell you when regen cycle is being used.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,727 Posts
I'm still considering getting one, but I just wish they'd make one in a round form factor, like an Aeroforce Interceptor...

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Does the ScanGauge II have a Distance To Empty (DTE) parameter? One thing I miss on the CTD that I had on the TDI is Distance To Empty (DTE) displayed on the DIC along with Distance Driven (Trip). On the CTD, the DTE reading is on a separate screen from the Trip 1 or Trip 2 screens so I'm constantly having to toggle between screens.

·
Site Sponsor
103 Posts
Does the ScanGauge II have a Distance To Empty (DTE) parameter? One thing I miss on the CTD that I had on the TDI is Distance To Empty (DTE) displayed on the DIC along with Distance Driven (Trip). On the CTD, the DTE reading is on a separate screen from the Trip 1 or Trip 2 screens so I'm constantly having to toggle between screens.
It does not have a DTE parameter.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Went to ScanGauge.com, clicked on Where To Buy, clicked on Online Retailers, Amazon was listed as a Scan Gauge Vendor so I ordered a Scan Gauge II.

Install went fine, but not seeing any instructions in the User Guide on how to read Soot Mass numbers or Regen status.

Sorry if covered before, need a little help here. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Went to ScanGauge.com, clicked on Where To Buy, clicked on Online Retailers, Amazon was listed as a Scan Gauge Vendor so I ordered a Scan Gauge II.

Install went fine, but not seeing any instructions in the User Guide on how to read Soot Mass numbers or Regen status.

Sorry if covered before, need a little help here. Thanks!
The scanguage has to be programmed for the Cruze diesel. I bought mine directly from manufacturer with Cruze diesel programming.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
The scanguage has to be programmed for the Cruze diesel. I bought mine directly from manufacturer with Cruze diesel programming.
Guess I'll be contacting Scan Gauge tomorrow. I emailed Scangauge before ordering to confirm I had the right model for the Cruze diesel, they said yes but didn't mention anything about needing special programming. I just clicked on their Amazon link shown on the Scangauge.com website.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Guess I'll be contacting Scan Gauge tomorrow. I emailed Scangauge before ordering to confirm I had the right model for the Cruze diesel, they said yes but didn't mention anything about needing special programming. I just clicked on their Amazon link shown on the Scangauge.com website.
I think the special programming has the codes that are just for the Cruze diesel. They will assist, I found them pretty helpful.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
There is custom firmware loaded onto the ones that work with the Diesel Cruze. It is covered somewhere within the pages of posts on this thread.
However, the developer I was working with to get this done was James DeLong. See if you can get in contact with him, he'll know what needs to be done to get it working.

It is possible though that all new ScanGauge units sold have a newer firmware that allows them to work with the Cruze Diesel and any other car as well. I'll send you a PM later today when I'm off work outlining how to put in the codes. I'll include the code for Sootmass (STM) to see if it works.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Got the PM, thanks LiveTrash!

Also got a link from Scan Gauge Customer Support with no less than 22 X-Gauges that can be programmed specific to the Gen 1 CTD.

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/chevy-cruze-diesel/

Creating/programming an X-Gauge seems straightforward but takes about 5 minutes per gauge. I'd rather not spend a couple of hours sitting in my car in 100 plus degree heat (yes it's 100 at night here) programming all 22 gauge options.

Can I get a list of the top 5 or 10 gauges most useful for the Gen 1 CTD?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Got the PM, thanks LiveTrash!

Also got a link from Scan Gauge Customer Support with no less than 22 X-Gauges that can be programmed specific to the Gen 1 CTD.

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/chevy-cruze-diesel/

Creating/programming an X-Gauge seems straightforward but takes about 5 minutes per gauge. I'd rather not spend a couple of hours sitting in my car in 100 plus degree heat (yes it's 100 at night here) programming all 22 gauge options.

Can I get a list of the top 5 or 10 gauges most useful for the Gen 1 CTD?
STM, DSR, MAP, RGN are the four I use. STM is soot grams, DSR is miles from last regen, MAP is manifold pressure it will drop to below 12 prior to regen, RGN is 0 when not in regen, 1 for regen during regen, 2 when complete

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Confirmed today from Scan Gauge there's no 'firmware' specific to our CTD and it does not matter if you buy it directly from Scan Gauge or through one of their vendors, you'll get the very same device and configuration.

The X-Gauge is the feature that must be manually programmed to access 22 gauges for the CTD. The link to the 22 gauges and their codes is a couple of posts above.

The manual does does a pretty good job of describing how to program X-Gauge but this YouTube link was VERY helpful for me (thanks LiveTrash). And thanks everyone for all the help/input!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ggphJ60cDI

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I didn't have to program it like that at all, I would guess when added from scanguage they do that for you when requesting it for Cruze diesel. I was done in just a couple min, they provided a sheet which I probably threw away with the codes for diesel. I use this device but can't say I love the darn thing, don't like having it to be honest, we should not have to have it, gm should have let us know when the car is in regen mode. If it were not for others having to do manual regen I wouldn't own the device personally.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Confirmed today from Scan Gauge there's no 'firmware' specific to our CTD and it does not matter if you buy it directly from Scan Gauge or through one of their vendors, you'll get the very same device and configuration.
According to their website we need Firmware version 4.42 to access what we want.
The unit I bought off the shelf at autozone has V4.13 so I need to send it in for a upgrade from what I understand.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
According to their website we need Firmware version 4.42 to access what we want.
The unit I bought off the shelf at autozone has V4.13 so I need to send it in for a upgrade from what I understand.
So it seems the general firmware upgrade is on all units and simply unlocks the ability to use it on the Cruze Diesel. When I started working with ScanGauge they sent me a test unit which was labelled as having "a custom firmware loaded on" so I was initially under the impression you needed a Cruze Diesel specific firmware. Glad to see that is not the case. Hopefully the gauges work out for you @Rivergoer

201 - 220 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.