Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
141 - 160 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
DID anyone ever figure out how to do a manual regen, without going to the dealership?
No, but this would probably be my single biggest wish list item, however since I figured out how to avoid the condition that causes this to be needed (pre-regen), it's not as big a wish as it once was.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,808 Posts
No, but this would probably be my single biggest wish list item, however since I figured out how to avoid the condition that causes this to be needed (pre-regen), it's not as big a wish as it once was.
I just wish the **** car told you it was doing one. But the light would probably terrify some people, so can't tell anyone.

Those kinds of people probably get scared by a turn signal indicator.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't say how long it takes to do a driving regen, but in my 2015 Pete, it takes at least 3 hours of highway driving with some uphills to clean the DPF. I know this because my truck told me that it was about time to do a regen, but I was driving on flat ground loaded but the engine wasn't loaded enough in Florida to be able to clean while driving. I had to do a parked regen because of this.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I just wish the **** car told you it was doing one. But the light would probably terrify some people, so can't tell anyone.

Those kinds of people probably get scared by a turn signal indicator.
The problem is, during the pre-regen danger zone, the regen indicator is still off. You have to look at other parameters (manifold pressure) to determine when you are in the danger zone.

I can't say how long it takes to do a driving regen, but in my 2015 Pete, it takes at least 3 hours of highway driving with some uphills to clean the DPF. I know this because my truck told me that it was about time to do a regen, but I was driving on flat ground loaded but the engine wasn't loaded enough in Florida to be able to clean while driving. I had to do a parked regen because of this.
From my experience, it's roughly 10-15 minutes in the CTD, give or take.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The problem is, during the pre-regen danger zone, the regen indicator is still off. You have to look at other parameters (manifold pressure) to determine when you are in the danger zone.

From my experience, it's roughly 10-15 minutes in the CTD, give or take.
The danger zone is for about a minute or less in pregen, just a DIC indicator saying not to turn car off and keep driving and the car to be smart enough to not let you turn car off would work fine. It would almost rarely ever happen. The whole problem would be solved. Or three colors on the light, red for don't turn off, yellow for regen, green for finished.

·
COTM Winner
6,808 Posts
Can you be at idle and have it finish a regen, or do you have to keep driving?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
You might be able to idle for 20 seconds and finish if it is close to being done, but generally no, need to be moving and rpms be higher than idle

·
COTM Winner
6,808 Posts
Would it be possible to be stationary, but with elevated rpms?

Granted, the whole point of moving while doing it is to cool the **** thing off - doing that while stationary won't do anything. Just trying to determine if something similar to a turbo-timer would work.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
So when I use the CruzeDiesel coupon code, it comes pre-programmed with all of the relevant XGuages?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
So when I use the CruzeDiesel coupon code, it comes pre-programmed with all of the relevant XGuages?
If I were you, I would contact them ahead of ordering to make sure. I got an early one and it came programmed with most of what I needed, but I had to add a couple.

Reactions: GMMillwright

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I called them directly and made sure it was programmed for Cruze diesel, been happy with it so far. Yesterday I had a regen and it said it was at 24 grams when it started, never had it go that high before a regen.

Reactions: GMMillwright

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I called them directly and made sure it was programmed for Cruze diesel, been happy with it so far. Yesterday I had a regen and it said it was at 24 grams when it started, never had it go that high before a regen.
What were the circumstances leading up to it? I am guessing you interrupted a regen in progress (RGN=1) at 17 or 18 grams, and then it accumulated quickly up to 24 before the engine was warm enough to initiate the continuation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have had as high as 25 or 26 without seeing any "keep driving" or other dpf related messages. Was at 21 and climbed fairly quickly running short around town trips over a weekend (car never reached op temp or saw speeds above 35). It depends on driving habits and certain conditions. If the car isn't up to operating temps or you're driving below the minimum speed/rpm (30mph?) and egt1 is less than 1075F, it may not regen which can allow additional soot to accumulate. Ive noticed soot can climb rather quickly after 21. Nothing to worry about though.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have had as high as 25 or 26 without seeing any "keep driving" or other dpf related messages. Was at 21 and climbed fairly quickly running short around town trips over a weekend (car never reached op temp or saw speeds above 35). It depends on driving habits and certain conditions. If the car isn't up to operating temps or you're driving below the minimum speed/rpm (30mph?) and egt1 is less than 1075F, it may not regen which can allow additional soot to accumulate. Ive noticed soot can climb rather quickly after 21. Nothing to worry about though.
As long as it doesn't get to 32 grams. 32 Grams is the threshold to force a manual regen which at this time can only be done by a dealership.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
What were the circumstances leading up to it? I am guessing you interrupted a regen in progress (RGN=1) at 17 or 18 grams, and then it accumulated quickly up to 24 before the engine was warm enough to initiate the continuation.
No interuption prior to it going to 24. It began and it went down to 6 then I shut the car off and it completed after that fine. It was on 22 and I took a friend to dinner and we ate dinner, when car was shut off the map was 14.6 as I recall and rgn was zero. I just found it strange, never happened before, it has gone to 23 before but not 24 that I ever observed.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Turned out fine, when it was at 24 I kept driving until regen began then it seemed pretty normal. The interval was pretty normal for in town driving, was like 235 miles. I guess no big deal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just ordered one. Nice that Linear Logic kept a $25 coupon code active after all the development was done. Looking forward to seeing what's really going on with the car, specifically re-gens, once it's here.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yup a professional scanner like one from snapon (what I have)

141 - 160 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.