Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
161 - 180 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Installed mine tonight. Made an L-shaped bracket at work and just tucked it under the headliner. Happy with how it looks.

What parameters are you using on yours? Of course I use the STM and RGN. What others are you using? I thought we had the option of boost pressure? MAP is closest, I guess. I use EOP for my 4th.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
What parameters are you using on yours? Of course I use the STM and RGN. What others are you using? I thought we had the option of boost pressure? MAP is closest, I guess. I use EOP for my 4th.
If you still have the instruction manual, it walks you through the steps on how to change MAP to BST for Boost Pressure in PSI.
I have STM , RGN , BST , TRQ (Torque)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Installed mine tonight. Made an L-shaped bracket at work and just tucked it under the headliner. Happy with how it looks.

Make sure to read my post about "Pre-regen" in the diesel technical "stickies"

Reactions: GMMillwright

·
Registered
14 Posts
New to the forum and just installed a SG2 last night. I am coming from past experience with a 1995 GMC Sierra 2500 with 6.5L TD. I had a boost gauge and EGT installed on that truck pre-turbo. Also, used to my father's 2003 Duramax with Edge Juice tune (also showing Boost and EGT post turbo). Neither truck had DPF or DEF injection of course.

Some interesting observations on the EGT of this car. Wondering if you guys see the same. I watch EGT1 as it seems to be the hottest most of the time so I assume it's closest to the turbo. My main concern is shutting off the engine and stopping oil flow before turbo has had a chance to cool down. I always watched this carefully on the old trucks and waited until temps dropped below 350F. The temp was of course directly tied to throttle usage and loading. This car however is much different.

I note that even after a cold start at 40F ambient temp and after driving a short distance, the temp climbs rapidly on its own. Even under light throttle and 45 mph it climbs to 800F. Wow! I assume the computer is altering fuel delivery to get the DPF or DEF system up to temp to get it working properly. Even after parking for a few minutes at a store and coming back out (coolant still hot) it does the same thing even while going between parking lots with little vehicle speed or load. My concern is when this happens and I only need to drive 3 or 4 min to the next stop on town the EGT is showing North of 700F.

Most people would never see or know this. If that probe is showing 700F or more isn't that what the turbo is at give or take? Won't shutting the engine off at this temp cause coking in the turbo bearings and damage it?

I never would have dared in the past to shut one of my trucks off at that temp. Heck, that's what it would see going down the highway at 75mph! Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
New to the forum and just installed a SG2 last night. I am coming from past experience with a 1995 GMC Sierra 2500 with 6.5L TD. I had a boost gauge and EGT installed on that truck pre-turbo. Also, used to my father's 2003 Duramax with Edge Juice tune (also showing Boost and EGT post turbo). Neither truck had DPF or DEF injection of course.

Some interesting observations on the EGT of this car. Wondering if you guys see the same. I watch EGT1 as it seems to be the hottest most of the time so I assume it's closest to the turbo. My main concern is shutting off the engine and stopping oil flow before turbo has had a chance to cool down. I always watched this carefully on the old trucks and waited until temps dropped below 350F. The temp was of course directly tied to throttle usage and loading. This car however is much different.

I note that even after a cold start at 40F ambient temp and after driving a short distance, the temp climbs rapidly on its own. Even under light throttle and 45 mph it climbs to 800F. Wow! I assume the computer is altering fuel delivery to get the DPF or DEF system up to temp to get it working properly. Even after parking for a few minutes at a store and coming back out (coolant still hot) it does the same thing even while going between parking lots with little vehicle speed or load. My concern is when this happens and I only need to drive 3 or 4 min to the next stop on town the EGT is showing North of 700F.

Most people would never see or know this. If that probe is showing 700F or more isn't that what the turbo is at give or take? Won't shutting the engine off at this temp cause coking in the turbo bearings and damage it?

I never would have dared in the past to shut one of my trucks off at that temp. Heck, that's what it would see going down the highway at 75mph! Any thoughts?
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you've been finding some posts and that the ScanGauge is working out for you. It's a great little device to monitor various things on the Cruze Diesel. I'm not very familiar with engines or the inner workings of cars in general, so my answers to your questions are personal experience and what people have told me in the past.

The car alters fuel consumption when the DPF is full and needs to burn off the accumulated soot. It uses extra fuel to super heat the filter and burns it off in a "clean" way as opposed to letting all the soot fly out the exhaust. The DEF is injected constantly in small amounts into the fuel/exhaust to help scrub it of harmful emissions and make what comes out of the tail pipe easier on the environment. So based on what you had said about the high temps, I seem to be getting the same temps during normal operation. I believe it is heating up normally and from there it just super heats when the DPF needs to work. No need for concern.

As for the turbo, unless you've been running it like a race car or for what ever reason stop on the side of the highway and immediately shut it off, I don't think you'll cause any damage. It isn't really a performance turbo, but rather a turbo to increase efficiency. It isn't working as hard as the turbos you see in those large diesel pickups that are made for hauling. If you've been driving around the city going easy on it and shut the engine off immediately when you get home, you won't be doing any harm. If you ever happen to turn the car off during a DPF Regeneration (which is fine by the way) then you may notice the fan is still running to help continue to cool things down. This will run for maybe a minute. The regeneration will begin once you head out again and the car warms up to operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts

Yes the vehicle is basically in a regen until it's warmed up.

As for temps well, temps themselves don't really mean a whole lot on their own, but the highest EGT1 I have seen outside a regen was about 1150F and the highest pre turbo EGT I have seen is about 1400F. Which is alot more than 800F so I would stop worry. ;)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Yes the vehicle is basically in a regen until it's warmed up.
No, the regeneration is a cycle that happens when the DPF is full and factors such as operating temperature are met.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. My thought is the computer does a "mini" regen soon after startup just to get everything good and not. Not like a normal regen as I've read on here which goes up to 1100 or so. It seems to go to around 800 for a couple min to get everything working normally again. Heck maybe the chemical reaction with the DEF in the exhaust needs a 'kick' to get it going.

I've had similar experiences with my old truck. Had that to 1250F on a good acceleration. Scary thing was it would have easily kept going. Those engines (6.5 TD) did not come with intercoolers. Fatal design flaw in my opinion. Some guys saw IAT approaching 300F or more climbing a hill.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm used to my old truck cooling down EGT wise significantly once I would back out of the throttle ie: slowing down and parking somewhere. It was a little unnerving last night a mile or two into my drive watching the EGT go UP even though I was slowing down coming up to a stop sign.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for the multi post. Just thought I would clarify that my above experience is only 75 miles after a regen and STM is only about 10 so I know it's nowhere near needing a regular regen at this time. Also for reference I drive about 50% of the time at 75 mph, another 25% at 50 mph and the last bit in the city. Interesting to be able to watch this data now.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
No, the regeneration is a cycle that happens when the DPF is full and factors such as operating temperature are met.
Well you're not wrong, it's not a regen, but it is the same principle. Inject fuel into the exhaust, retard timing, only difference is some details and it does it with EGR whereas a regen has no EGR.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Won't shutting the engine off at this temp cause coking in the turbo bearings and damage it?
Just my 2 cents here. I have 187K miles, no turbo issues ever. I usually idle for 15-30 secs before shutting off, with complete ignorance of EGT because I do not monitor that.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yea, for some reason these aren't supported. It's odd, but at the very least IA2 and IA3 make up for the intake air temperature. I could probably find one for Throttle Position if it's really needed.

HPR will become more accurate as you do fill-ups with the ScanGauge, so just be sure to perform the fill-up procedure on the ScanGauge each time you fill up your tank. This is also a gross horsepower reading, and not net horsepower in case you were aiming for it to be net horsepower.

If everything is working well I wouldn't worry about it. XGauges won't save unless you go through the entire process and hit save at the end. If you ever need to go back to a previous section of an XGauge you're entering, the best option is to either hit the home button and go back and edit it again from the start or just keep going and save it, then go back to the section you need to edit.
Just placed my order with the CRUZEDIESEL coupon code, thanks for doing this for the Diesel Cruze owners. I currently use the Ultragage but can't find the X gauges you found, so you earned a new customer!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: pacolino

·
2,254 Posts
I kinda want one of these. Anybody use one with a gasser Cruze?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just placed my order with the CRUZEDIESEL coupon code, thanks for doing this for the Diesel Cruze owners. I currently use the Ultragage but can't find the X gauges you found, so you earned a new customer!

Welcome to scangauge II family.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I kinda want one of these. Anybody use one with a gasser Cruze?

I would think it would work just fine, I have a similar product called the Ultragage on 2 of my other cars, one GM gas, the other Diesel. It's mostly just standard OBD2 protocol, but does have a few GM specific X gauges. This one developed with specific X gauges for the Diesel seems to be a cut above the Ultragage for this specific model and engine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As for the turbo, unless you've been running it like a race car or for what ever reason stop on the side of the highway and immediately shut it off, I don't think you'll cause any damage. It isn't really a performance turbo, but rather a turbo to increase efficiency. It isn't working as hard as the turbos you see in those large diesel pickups that are made for hauling. If you've been driving around the city going easy on it and shut the engine off immediately when you get home, you won't be doing any harm. If you ever happen to turn the car off during a DPF Regeneration (which is fine by the way) then you may notice the fan is still running to help continue to cool things down. This will run for maybe a minute. The regeneration will begin once you head out again and the car warms up to operating temperature.
I have a habit (yes, its odd) of opening the hood on the car after a long run >30 miles home and its very hot under the hood . This is at engine speeds greater than 1500 RPMs where the turbo is operating on the vehicle. IN fact, you can't even touch the turbo housing its so hot. I often let the car coll for an hour or two before closing the hood to allow some of the heat to escape. When I don't open the hood and let the car sit for 8 hours, the turbo is still warm, almost hot, to the touch, after sitting for a full day. Between the turbo adn the exhaust and regens, its generating a LOT of heat under that hood.

For those who've experienced a regen, have you ever gotten out of car and put hand under exhaust (carefully of course) while its regenning?? The exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is super hot. I haven't taken my laser temp gauge to it, BUT its amazing how hot it gets during regen. I suspect the same temps (or near) are occurring under the hood.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry for the multi post. Just thought I would clarify that my above experience is only 75 miles after a regen and STM is only about 10 so I know it's nowhere near needing a regular regen at this time. Also for reference I drive about 50% of the time at 75 mph, another 25% at 50 mph and the last bit in the city. Interesting to be able to watch this data now.
I've been running the SC2 for nearly a year now. The info it provides is invaluable. FWIW, if you set it as @LiveTrash and @diesel have, as well as myself, you'll see the Pre-regen start when the MAP goes below 14.0 and engine is at proper op temps. Once the pre-regen is done, usually a minute or two, then you'll see soot mass start dropping from its current level of 23-24 down to 2-3 on the gauge. The RGN status will show 1 while in regen and then go to #2 when completed at Soot Mass of 2-3 on the gauge. I feel like I've become somewhat of a regen "expert" (loosely of course) since my car is regenning at intervals at less than 100 miles which for me is twice daily. Even without the SCII, I can almost "feel" when the regen is starting and for me the BIG tip-off is the fuel mileage drops dramatically , even on the highway. The accelerator also becomes less responsive to input while regenning. ONce the regen is complete, it feels like the car is waking up again. Note that during my most recent visit (today) to dealer, they told me that my intervals are normal. Prior to "their" firmware update ( :( ) I was regenning at 500-700 miles. Is this a fear of the VW issue haunting GM now??? Note that since the firmware update, I havent been able to go beyond 100 miles without a regen, so my fuel mileage is suffering too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've been running the SC2 for nearly a year now. The info it provides is invaluable. FWIW, if you set it as @LiveTrash and @diesel have, as well as myself, you'll see the Pre-regen start when the MAP goes below 14.0 and engine is at proper op temps. Once the pre-regen is done, usually a minute or two, then you'll see soot mass start dropping from its current level of 23-24 down to 2-3 on the gauge. The RGN status will show 1 while in regen and then go to #2 when completed at Soot Mass of 2-3 on the gauge. I feel like I've become somewhat of a regen "expert" (loosely of course) since my car is regenning at intervals at less than 100 miles which for me is twice daily. Even without the SCII, I can almost "feel" when the regen is starting and for me the BIG tip-off is the fuel mileage drops dramatically , even on the highway. The accelerator also becomes less responsive to input while regenning. ONce the regen is complete, it feels like the car is waking up again. Note that during my most recent visit (today) to dealer, they told me that my intervals are normal. Prior to "their" firmware update ( :( ) I was regenning at 500-700 miles. Is this a fear of the VW issue haunting GM now??? Note that since the firmware update, I havent been able to go beyond 100 miles without a regen, so my fuel mileage is suffering too.
That is very interesting, when did you get the firmware update?

·
Registered
232 Posts
[QFor those who've experienced a regen, have you ever gotten out of car and put hand under exhaust (carefully of course) while its regenning?? The exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is super hot. I haven't taken my laser temp gauge to it, BUT its amazing how hot it gets during regen. I suspect the same temps (or near) are occurring under the hood.UOTE]For those who've experienced a regen, have you ever gotten out of car and put hand under exhaust (carefully of course) while its regenning?? The exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is super hot. I haven't taken my laser temp gauge to it, BUT its amazing how hot it gets during regen. I suspect the same temps (or near) are occurring under the hood.
[/QUOTE]
I've been running scan gauge since mid summer. Generally monitor a lot of different thing (EOP-oil pressure, TFT - Tranny fluid Temp, Map, RGN,) But I follow EG1 (Exhaust Gas Temp @ 1st sensor) most. During RGN the EG1 bounces between 1000-1200 degrees. So I'm sure the exhaust the whole way back is pretty warm.

Reactions: MRO1791
161 - 180 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.