Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Idle MAP can now be under 14 when it is NOT in a pre-regen state, (but not always). This one concerns me because now there's no way to tell when the car really does go into the pre-regen state. And no, a regen was not in progress.

New_Scan.JPG

2. The number of completed regens was reset to zero.

3. Soot seems to be accumulating a lot slower (as others have reported). I am only at 7 grams after going over 400 miles.

For those of you who don't know what pre-regen is, see this:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...sel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If I had to guess, less soot to protect sensors, which is less EGR, but more NOx, so I'd expect to see increased DEF consumption. Just had my second CTD done today. Will monitor both to see trends as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: BradHerr

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
After my wreck, mine was rebuilt and was sent to a dealership for a diagnosis and it was determined it needed an airflow sensor. It's on backorder so I'm trying to get them to perform this NOx warranty work while it's waiting for the part. Saves me having to book another appointment and I can just stick with the rental the insurance company is paying for, lol.

In terms of the pre-regen state, it could be that they did away with that problem and it can be interrupted at any time without worry. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In terms of the pre-regen state, it could be that they did away with that problem and it can be interrupted at any time without worry. Who knows.
I was thinking that might be a possibility. That alone would be good enough reason to get the recall work done.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I was thinking that might be a possibility. That alone would be good enough reason to get the recall work done.
I'll find out for myself soon enough the effects of the recall. I called the dealership today and they said while the EGR valve is on backorder they're going to do the recall for the NOx sensor, reprogram and a manual regen to clean things up. Hopefully after all that I'll be running good as new!

·
Registered
47 Posts
3. Soot seems to be accumulating a lot slower (as others have reported). I am only at 7 grams after going over 400 miles.

Could this be at the expense of using more DEF ??

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts

Could this be at the expense of using more DEF ??
If it uses little more DEF that's a fair trade off, my regens have been very inconsistent especially in the Summer, straight interstate I would get 750 miles or so, city driving I might get 150-200. DEF is pretty inexpensive, the less it regens the less opportunity I have to get a manual regen because I shut the car off at the wrong moment.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
1. Idle MAP can now be under 14 when it is NOT in a pre-regen state, (but not always). This one concerns me because now there's no way to tell when the car really does go into the pre-regen state. And no, a regen was not in progress.

View attachment 211722

2. The number of completed regens was reset to zero.

For those of you who don't know what pre-regen is, see this:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...sel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html
I have a scangauge for my CTD, what is the code for total number of regens? I am scheduled for recall work next week, would like to record the total before they reset stuff. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,756 Posts
If it uses little more DEF that's a fair trade off, my regens have been very inconsistent especially in the Summer, straight interstate I would get 750 miles or so, city driving I might get 150-200. DEF is pretty inexpensive, the less it regens the less opportunity I have to get a manual regen because I shut the car off at the wrong moment.
Less frequent regens should lead to a small increase in fuel economy, as well. I'll take the extra DEF usage for the ability to brag about higher fuel economy.

I like being able to do that, all the while not sounding like a pretentious ******* with a Prius.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Less frequent regens should lead to a small increase in fuel economy, as well. I'll take the extra DEF usage for the ability to brag about higher fuel economy.

I like being able to do that, all the while not sounding like a pretentious ******* with a Prius.
I have ridden in a Prius recently with a friend, she loved it, I was like wow this is really boring and uninspiring ride, just transportation. When my car was regening with such short intervals I think once was like 75 miles, it was annoying and using extra fuel for sure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a scangauge for my CTD, what is the code for total number of regens? I am scheduled for recall work next week, would like to record the total before they reset stuff. Thanks
NCR (Number of Completed Regens)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have 69 RGN's with 35K. Since my car does have any issues, I'm holding off on the recall. If it's not broke don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
thanks, I figured it out today, I have 54 regens in 20,500 miles.
If your gauge doesn't have Distance Since Last Regen (DSR) already, then that can be a useful one to add. Below are the codes for it.

Distance Since Last DPF Regeneration (Miles)
TXD: 07E02CFE90F0
RXF: D2E803FE0000
RXD: 1810
MTH: 001F00320000 (000100010000 for kilometer reading)
NAM:
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]DSR

[/FONT]
I have 69 RGN's with 35K. Since my car does have any issues, I'm holding off on the recall. If it's not broke don't fix it.
I was in the same boat until my EGR valve acted up. It was caked in soot and was stuck and wouldn't allow the car to start. We'll see if the recall work being done helps solve it. They are replacing the EGR valve as well.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I am getting it done, I am under full warranty if it kicks in other issues. I am ok with getting it done, plus I would like to take a pic of the sensor and see how much soot is there. Plus others are reporting it is changing the amount of soot created and making regens longer, so deal me in. Have had zero issues.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All this talk about EGR valves has me wondering what shape mine's in after 191K miles. I wonder if I should look into replacement as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
All this talk about EGR valves has me wondering what shape mine's in after 191K miles. I wonder if I should look into replacement as a preventative measure.
Maybe a worthwhile consideration. The VW TDI needed and EGR cleaning at about 100k, my Cummins needs a filter and EGR service at about 75k. I'd say you're doing really well to get to 191k. I'd assume much of that being highway, which would be less concerning for EGR, under load the engine uses little EGR, light load and development it uses more to keep NOx levels down by lowering Oxygen in the cylinder.. which tends to increase soot.. I actually unplugged the EGR on my Cummins as a preventative measure, it runs fine and had a MPG boost. Not sure, actually kind of leaning as the would not be good for Cruze, besides the DEF system has always used less EGR, and that is a good thing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: diesel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting. I had my recall done for the NOx sensor and after the manual regen by the dealer I too noticed a slower soot rate via my scangauge. It still left MY regen count intact though. No issues so far.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I think they act up because not enough highway miles are put on the cars. I can't imagine yours will give you any problems due to the highway driving you do. Wouldn't hurt to at least look though. Mine was stuck simply due to all the soot buildup on it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. I had my recall done for the NOx sensor and after the manual regen by the dealer I too noticed a slower soot rate via my scangauge. It still left MY regen count intact though. No issues so far.
Interesting. I wonder what my dealer did differently to clear the NCR on mine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.