Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scion announced today they will be history sometime in early 2017.
Any Scion still in production will be labelled as a Toyota.

Honda has recalled and put a stop sell order on all 2016 2.0l Civics.

Seems somebody either forgot or incorrectly installed the piston wrist pin retaining clips......no parts are available and current owners are being instructed to keep driving them...(I guess till they blow.....Honda keeps it simple, remember).

Tsk, tsk,

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
It seems that even Honda is not immune to first year generation production ills. There aren't many 2.0 2016 Civics compared to the total production volume. The 2012 Civic (first of the 9th gens) was a disaster from a quality, design stand point. I was betting the 2016 would be likewise. There are other issues with the first of the 10th gens. The OLM is telling owners to change out the factory oil fill (incorrectly) at 500 - 2000 miles. Being fixed by a future software update. I avoided first year productions with my latest purchase and I'm still waiting until the 2018s before deciding on a Civic/Cruze hatchback.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The realities are, no manufacturer is immune.....whether it be cars or cradles or coffee makers and regardless of where produced, screwups in design or execution will always pop up.

As far as Scion....no loss....a experiment that went nowhere.

Rob

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Seems somebody either forgot or incorrectly installed the piston wrist pin retaining clips
I worked at a Honda plant for a while. I can't see how somebody simply forgot to install them. People rotate through different jobs throughout the day. It's likely that it wasn't included in the assembly instructions for the job it was assigned to. Either way, doesn't look good for Honda, lol.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Import fan boys would like to think otherwise.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Huh. That's surprising considering the 2.0 is a carryover engine from the ILX. I would have expected the 1.5 turbo to be the one with first year issues, just like the first year of the R18.

Scion would have flourished had they actually updated their products. They're still making basically the same crap they were in 2005 with the same crap Corolla engines under the hood.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

Brings about the question what is the Cruze 1.4 L engine piston pins this engine is using. Over the years, many piston pins were an interference fit and had to be pressed in, don't forget to install the connecting rod first. Retaining rings were not used.

And none are shown in the above drawing.

Ha, been quite awhile since I had an engine apart, body is a huge pile of rust before the engine needs attention. And just looking over what the parts cost are now, would be cheaper to buy a new car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts