Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

screw in tire, 6k miles replace 2 or 1?

3362 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Danny5
So as the title says, I got a drywall screw in the sidewall of my rear driveside tire. It goes in vertical right next to the tread on the outside. If you wiggle it any direction it leaks but holds air no problem. I don't think they can patch in that spot so do you think I could replace just 1 with 6k miles on them? or should I do 2? I think I can get away with 1 but 'm not sure. I thought about buying wheels and tires but I don't want to spend the money since frankly I kinda want to get rid of the car anyways. .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
If your tread wear difference is less than 1/64 of an inch just replace one. Between 1 and 2/64" it's a toss up. Over 2/64" replace two and put the new ones on the back. Rotate them in a couple of thousand miles.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did not know that. I'll measure it tomorrow before I go to work and see what i'm at. hopefully within 1/64th. OE tires are 160 a piece.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
At 6,000 miles you should be ok. The numbers I gave are what I would use in your situation.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I was wondering why tire was so expensive, seen in your signature you have a 2LT with 17in rims.... man do I like my ugly/tiny 1LT 16in rims with $90 tires when I read this.

The dealer price for your tire isn't bad since you have to pay shipping from tirerack. Plus if there is a problem with your order you have to deal with shipping the item back. When I replaced all 4 of my 1LT tires my local tire shop(pomps) I paid $2 more per tire than tire racks pricing.

· Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Why couldn't that be repaired? they will just pull the tire off the wheel and put a patch in it anyway. Unless the tire is ripped, I would just repair. Side wall or not should not matter as long as it is not a gaping hole/rip.

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
We know !

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Something similar happened to me, as I was leaving for work Monday morning I noticed a metal nail head in the edge of the tread of my LH rear tyre. On closer inspection I realised it was a screw with the head almost worn flat. This explained why that tyre for the last 21 months had a really slow leak, it took about a month for the loss of ait to be visible, no TPMS. I went past a local Service Station which has a workshop and it was removed and plugged straight away and I was even able to get to work without being late. It cost $20 which I thought was a bit steep but still cheaper than a new tyre and my spare is still unused.

Car is approaching 20k km.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I traded my Fiero 2M4 with 8K miles on it. Turns out it was about a month before the Fiero 2M4 engine fire reports hit the media.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Something similar happened to me, as I was leaving for work Monday morning I noticed a metal nail head in the edge of the tread of my LH rear tyre. On closer inspection I realised it was a screw with the head almost worn flat.
With my previous car I noticed a nail in the tread of the really bald tires on the front of the car. I decided to move it to the rear and see how many more miles I could put on them before buying a new set. Drove 15,000 miles and eventually wore the head right off that nail.

I had yokahama tires on that car, read they use some special inside layer on tire that stops leaks, I believe it because no way that huge nail shouldn't have leaked.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the 175 is with shipping from tire rack. its normally 160. And im not a fan of the car. There are a lot of positives but to me more negatives. And not all are becasue of the cruze but the fact its a car in general. It was a somewhat impulse buy and I was looking at getting a job about 45 minutes away and my ranger wasnt going to do it, it fell through and now i have a large payment, a short commute and a transport vehicle. ultimately I need a truck. I would love to sell it and get out of the payments and buy a truck but the fiancee wasnt happy about the car purchase let alone a new gmc denali duramax

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Wow, ya sounds like you really don't know what you want/need. Compact truck, compact car, and now an overpriced fullsize with an engine you probably don't need for anything or you would have never bought a car in the first place.

If you really want out of your car you better do it fast, sure you'll take a hit now but it will get even greater the longer you keep it. The worst part is you bought a 2LT, all those options loose their value as soon as you drive off the lot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.