Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about enclosure types and the kind of music you listen to. I haven't been able to pin point which enclosure type suits my musical tastes more. I listen to a lot of metal and industrial. Mainly Pantera, NIN, Combichrist, Scum of the Earth and Marilyn Manson. I also listen to The Mars Volta, The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins and other milder rock and new wave.

With those musical tastes I also can't figure out if I should run one 12 or 15(maybe) or two 8s..or possibly three 8s

I'm also looking for opinions on brands like NVX, RE Audio and good old Sound Stream.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts
Size of subwoofer doesn't matter. It is design that matters. Subwoofer enclosure alignment is dependent on design and goals. You'd be better off with a sealed enclosure, especially if you don't build it yourself. An SQ-oriented vented enclosure is possible but requires a fair bit of design work.

You need to stop looking at just car audio brands. Look at websites like parts-express.com and madisoundspeakerstore.com.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually read through some of your massive threads. I'm considering parts from those links as well but I also wanted opinions on other brands.

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts
My analysis after working with these drivers is that the car audio industry without exception provides poor comparable value to the raw audio industry. Manufacturers place too much effort on appearance and marketing and generally design those drivers to knowing their target audience will abuse them, in order to reduce warranty returns. This in effect also reduces sound quality and raises price.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Setting a budget is the best first step, then what your willing to sacrifice ie space or permanent modification and I like people to pick a scale between 1-10 with 1 being pure SQ and 10 being pure SPL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like most I'm trying to get bang for buck and save space. I like SQ and SPL. I don't need window flexing bass. Just some good solid thump. I've seen Xr's dual 8" vertical enclosure which is fairly ideal but I'm concerned about its SPL output. I also saw XRs 15" enclosure for the IDQ 15 V2(?) which got me to consider a 15 because it still fits within my desired space limitation and I have no worries about its SPL output.

Budget wise $200 for sub/s and then enclosure cost is what I'm currently considering. With hificruzer226's scale I'd lean toward sq-7-spl.

I understand inflated costs of brand names. Some of the brand I'm considering are on the lower end of cost with decent to good quality. My main concern with a number of the subs on say Parts Express is a number of them are built for home use and I worry about those sub and the climate that will affect them. It's not a major concern but it does make me leery. With my musical tastes I will use the **** out of my subs so durability and longevity of these subs also concerns me. I'm in no way ruling out using these components and am actively looking up nearly every product XR has recommended.

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts
They aren't "built for home use." Don't take that into consideration. A subwoofer is a subwoofer and with the right design, it will work well in any application. I use pro audio subs in my Cruze and car audio subs in my home theater. It really doesn't matter and climate affects subwoofers regardless of where they are. Hot or cold, dry or humid.

Look at the Dayton HO 12.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
$200 with an enclosure? That would be tough for a spl geared set up actually impossible unless you score a good deal on used equipment. Another thing to consider is wire line level and amplifier. Speakers are built with the same materials wether they are for home or auto ...so that doesnt matter.

If you are handy and can make your own enclosure properly than you can save a ton on that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XR: I'll give the Dayton a look.

hifi: $200 for sub/s and then enclosure cost. So $200 toward subs. Line level/LoC and amp are considered but not focused on at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Stereo integrity has a ht18 for $174 shipped 600 rms. So not a super powerful motor but lots of cone area on a good platform for a decent price. add about $60 for enclosure raw materials unfinished (carpet etc). I just convinced my tech to get this he is waiting for the dual 4 to become available.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The HT18 would be a bit much and I assume the enclosure would be large. If I go with a 15 I'd really like to go with something like the old IDQ15V2 and hit up XR for a enclosure if he's still making enclosures ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know but I think a 15 would put out a decent amount. Like I said, I'm not looking to flex my windshield

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I know but I think a 15 would put out a decent amount. Like I said, I'm not looking to flex my windshield
your not going to especially on that budget. you said you were more geared toward spl and you didnt say anything about space. The idq15 doesnt yield what you were asking for and good luck finding the v2... Personally it doesn't matter to me what you go with. I am just trying to help you get what you are asking for. His idq 15 was a very well rounded set up but I would put it WAY closer to sq than spl

Just to give you a little background on who I am and what I have been doing professionally for 16 years. I run a car audio shop here in MD, I install and run 3 techs who install several systems a day. Take my word don't take my word up to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mentioned space limitations and I have no intention of getting lucky enough to find a old IDQ. I'm just referring to them as ideas that would be ideal.

Hey I appreciate yours and XRs input. I've looked at products I normally wouldn't consider because of it.

I'm not in a rush to buy and build so I have time to research and figure out what feels best

1 - 20 of 20 Posts