Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2018 diesel hatch! One of the only things I didn't get was the leather so I was considering a seat swap

I have a lead of a full set of seats from a 2017 hatch in black leather. Just like mine they are heated front seats with power driver and manual passenger

Has anyone done a swap like this? I hope/imagine that it is pretty much a plug and play ordeal to swap out but hoping someone else might know more before I pull the trigger (getting them shipped is a little pricey)

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Haven't done it, but per the factory service manual both seats use the same connectors, and have the same connector population(all wires in same places with same purposes) I'd say it's plug and play. As long as both sets are power, and heated.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,688 Posts
Should be a very straightforward swap, as @Ma v e n stated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks everyone!

Yeah I mostly just wanted to make sure the wiring was the same so I didn't have to start messing with that. It would make sense of course on a modular assembly line. I don't yet have access to any service manuals to check wiring out myself so glad to see its a match.

All in with shipping I'm looking at around 600-650 which seems doable to me and probably less than recovering (plus whatever I could get for my original seats which are pristine)

Looking at it the only thing that looked a little scary was the seat belt mechanism that goes into the B pillar (where there is an airbag) I wonder if I would have to mess with that to get the new seats in??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, there's one screw that holds the seat belt to the seat. You don't need to mess with the retractor assembly

ahhh that makes sense, I was afraid I'd have to mess with that belt mechanism. I do notice on mine on the drivers seat plastic at the base of the seat it says "airbag" which was making me think there was an airbag in the seat? or do they all say that and just refer to other airbags in the car. I'm always a little more reluctant to mess with airbags (and of course salvaging seats from wrecked cars would pose an issue) Otherwise just sounds like some bolts and a few wiring connectors

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I recovered a GEN 1 seat, and had it apart down to the springs. If the GEN 2 seats are similar construction to that of a GEN1 make sure that the seat belt retractor has not blown. This is attached to the buckle and with a collision will tighten the seat belt to the occupant.

The second thing is the airbag on the outside bolster of the seat. Typically you can see if the seat cover is torn the airbag let loose. However unless you've worked on seats before you might not know about the explosive charge in the seat buckle that's part of the seat.

You probably could move these parts from your factory seats to make this work if you had to, but this lowers the value of the seat's your trying to sell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just pulled the trigger and ordered them. $625 for the whole set shipped seemed pretty reasonable for me. Need a little cleaning up but in good shape.

I'll let you know how the swap goes when they arrive. If everything goes smoothly I'll also have a pristine set of black cloth seats for sale when I'm done if anyone on this forum is in the market.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,675 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just pulled the trigger and ordered them. $625 for the whole set shipped seemed pretty reasonable for me. Need a little cleaning up but in good shape.

I'll let you know how the swap goes when they arrive. If everything goes smoothly I'll also have a pristine set of black cloth seats for sale when I'm done if anyone on this forum is in the market.
Take some before, during and after photo's and write us nice How-To: for our collection.

How-To: Write a Tutorial

and then post your for sale seats here:

Cruze Parts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure I could probably do that when I get the seats and some free time to install them.

Hoping to find some other diesel how-to maintenance items if anyone has made any (fuel filter, oil change, etc)

·
Registered
257 Posts
i hate my cruze seats they are one of the most uncomfy seats i have ever sat in...my camaro seats are like big comfy couch cushions lol

my cobalt ss seats were pretty **** comfy and also had adjustable lumbar support and good side bolstering

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,675 Posts
Sure I could probably do that when I get the seats and some free time to install them.

Hoping to find some other diesel how-to maintenance items if anyone has made any (fuel filter, oil change, etc)
What we have so far for the Gen II is located here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone,

well a good news/bad news post. I had a day off today in large part to be home for the delivery of the seats I ordered. One chore I got done was replacing my air filter while I was waiting for the seats to show up. Once the seats arrived and I uncrated everthing I went to work (even took some pics so I could make a little tutorial as recommended for others)

I only had energy to do the fronts today and will tackle the rear seats some other time. I pulled the old seats and bolted the new ones in. The seat belts and wiring connector all went together fine and the power driver seat worked with no issues as soon as plugged in. Unfortunately as soon as I started the car I had an airbag message and the airbag light stays on. I dug out to get to the battery and disconnected both terminals for a few minutes and reseated the wiring connector for both seats. Hooked the battery back up but the light was still on. :confused:

So I'm trying to figure out what to do next. These seats were from a 2017 hatch and mine is a 2018 hatch. Did they maybe change some of the wiring around between those two years? The seats were in good shape just could use a little cleaning/conditioning; there certainly was no sign of airbags ever being deployed on them. The only thing noticeably different was that the passenger seat had a manual height adjustment that my existing seats didn't (maybe that was a minor model year change or only came with the leather seat package?)

Now my hope is that it is just a matter of the computer seeing the circuit disconnected and now the code just needs to be reset (and that might not be cleared with the battery disconnect or I didn't have it disconnected long enough) Yeah in hindsight I probably should have disconnected the battery before doing the job (although that would make it a little tougher since the power driver seat I moved back and forth to get to the bolts) All I have for a code reader is a cheapo little bluetooth adapter that goes to my phone; fine for most engine codes but I don't think its fancy enough to do SRS/ABS codes (I couldn't pull any codes with it)

I'm wondering if this is the push I need to finally invest in a higher end code reader to read/reset the airbag codes? One of my other cars has an ABS light on occasionally I'd like to pull a code for.

I'm eager for any advice anyone has. I guess I could try swapping one of the seats back in to narrow it down as a low tech measure but having to pull the seats back out again is not my first choice at the moment. Sigh not the best day; Just made yet another trip to the secretary of state to try to get my plates and they are still having some issues with the title; last night I spent a few hours there but was sent home after their computer system went down

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't really know the history I can try asking the seller. It's reasonably likely though that the car had an accident involved hence parting it out. I suppose that means any accident wasn't severe enough to deploy the airbags in the seats.

I guess I'm trying to understand more about the pre-tensioners. Wouldn't that be in the seatbelt mechanism that is in the B pillar of the car? I didn't do anything with the belts except bolt the existing seatbelt to the seat. Assuming there are no wiring surprises has anyone ever scanned for Airbag/SRS codes on these cars? Could a good code scanner find a code for the pretensioner? As I mentioned I'm thinking of buying a better code scanner than might zero in on what the issue is. I also tested and the seat heaters work as well as the power drivers seat so it would be strange if they only changed the wiring for the pre-tensioners/airbags between the two model years. I haven't found any wiring schematics for these seats.

If it is in fact the tensioners is that a part that's possible to locate/replace (preferably without sacrificing my old seats which I'd like to sell)

Really hope I can get these working properly as I realize like the seats

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Original Poster-

I've had the GEN 1 cruze cloth seats pulled apart down to the seat springs to add heat. GEN 2 may or may not be similar to GEN 2.

I'm not sure I'd jump to a code scanner yet.

First I'd verify the color and number of wires in each connector, between the seats you pulled out and the new seats. The new seats may have heated seat pad wires, but everything else probably should match between the two.

The seat buckle, sitting in the drivers seat, this is on the outside of the seat near the door. This buckle is attached to a cable. The cable is attached to the pretensioner. If you take the plastic off the side of the seat you'll see the pretensioner tube and explosive charge.

Picture someone sitting in the seat. When they get in an accident the buckle pulls downward to tighten the slack in the belt. There's also an explosive charge in the door frame where the seat belt rolls up. This also blows, often times shooting steel marbles down a tube, that winds the seat belt tight. Then there's a side airbag in the seat.

When the pretensioner buckle blows the cable attached to the buckle gets tight and it's game over for that tensioner. On the gen 1 seats the tensioners were attached to the seats and could be replaced.

Taking the side of the seat apart can be a little challenging without an exploded diagram.

I had pictures of my seat teardown on a photo site, but honestly no one got into seat repair, and they complained my thread was not complete, so I stopped editing it.

I will look for the pictures of the GEN 1 seat. It may take a few days, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I had a lot of photos.

I can't believe the construction of a GEN 2 seat would be that different from a GEN 1. Anything is possible I guess.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Passenger seats..

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....402&ukey_driveLine=12298&ukey_trimLevel=28075

But it does look like each seat contains modules.. I don't remember modules in my seats. Are they dumb modules that just need to be plugged in, or do they need to be programmed?

Either that or your swapping just the seat covers and keep your physical frames. I can't remember if you had power or manual seats.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts