Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
The safety idea behind it is great. The parts used to implement it are not built like a rock. Cheap components = fail.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree. Its a great safety device and maybe that is why they are bringing it back. Maybe they are trying to save their image and be known for all the safety features available on their cars. However, spacedout is right another switch to go bad. I can see the future threads about this switch going bad. lol

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
Enter Aesop.

I removed the seat belt chime relay on my old car because it started thinking the seatbelt wasn't clicked in. Granted, it was 12 years old at the time.

PING PING PING PING. SHUT UP.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's been in the triple digits this last week here. I couldn't get that car unless it has remote start. I couldn't imagine being in boiling car and the first thing I do is put my seatbelt on. The smarter thing to do would be for the car to not get out of park unless your seatbelt is on.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
That's Nice man , Now you have to think about something else we need to worry about !

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Some folks in the Civic world buy aftermarket seat belt buckles to bypass the warning. Having been in enough accidents, including a roll over, I don't leave the garage without the seat belt on.

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I would rip that thing out. Wouldn't last more than a minute. And then in 2016 they will probably add a chip to the seat belt latch to make sure it is actually the seat belt that is closing the circuit. And then in 2017 you will have to go through a TSA screening process before you will be allowed to drive your car.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
For those of you who didn't actually read the article:

The seatbelt interlock feature would be available as an option on select 2015 models that are most often ordered by fleets... The company does not yet have any plans to make it a standard feature.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
For those of you who didn't actually read the article:
Oh, that makes sense. I am cool with parents imposing things like this on their children. I just don't want big brother or uncle Sam forcing things like this on me. I always wear my seat belt, but it shouldn't be anyone else's business.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The biggest problem I see with this is that it would hinder my "routine" of starting the car and then putting my seatbelt on, therefore giving the car that much longer to warm up. This will encourage people to be completely ready to go as soon as the car is started. I watch my brother do it all the time in his 04 Camry. Gets in, belt, phone, start and immediately into reverse, while the engine is running at 2000-2200 rpm. Comes with a nice slam into gear. But he can't listen to his little brother about anything of course. Lol. But I like the thinking behind this, but I think that, as someone else previously stated, it would be better to keep it in park unless one's seatbelt is on. Plus it could be a problem with people putting stuff in their passenger seat, that triggering the weight center, and consequentially causing the car not to start...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
My mom had a car with this stupid interlock. The passenger seat interlock failed and you couldn't even put a bag of groceries in the seat. Absolutely terrible idea.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
This would keep me from buying a vehicle.

My mornings start with me going out to start the car then back in the house to round up the kids.

I cant think of the last time I drove a car first thing in the am without it sitting idle for at least 5 minutes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always wear my seat belt but I would refuse to ever buy any car that has this device. I would immediately boycott any automaker who made this standard on their lineup.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My mom had a car with this stupid interlock. The passenger seat interlock failed and you couldn't even put a bag of groceries in the seat. Absolutely terrible idea.
Yeah that's ridiculous. It should interlock with the driver's seat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts