Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good luck. The heavy use of e-torx fasteners in the Cruz is pretty annoying, but there is generally enough room to work without having to remove anything beyond the air filter housing.

Just be careful when you go to loosen the tensioner. Mine snapped on the first try, because I wasn't pushing/levering the breaker bar head against the tensioner (so the bolt just sheered off).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for reply!

I digress with this, but I miss MA. My grandma had a nice house in Scituate, used to take a drive from Okeechobee FL all the way up there. Beautiful state.

This is a pic from yesterday's test run and leak check:

How can I ascertain if it's from the water pump or that hose coming out of the radiator?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That looks more like spatter from the drive belt, so my money would be on the water pump. On mine, I had coolant dripping right around where the lower radiator hose connects to the radiator (so on the right side of your pic, where you can see the metal clip for the hose). But I also had coolant spatter in the same area as you're showing (which was almost certainly the water pump, because it hasn't come back since I replaced it). I would feel underneath where the hose connects to the water pump to make sure it's not leaking on that side of the hose, but seems more like the water pump. It would be a good idea to replace the hose too, but you might want to save some money if the tstat housing starts leaking. That's a more expensive part than the lower hose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed residue on the thermostat housing:

So I am probably going to replace that as well. Just pulled off the plastic pieces off the bottom of the car, getting ready to drain the coolant and trying to find some tools to use.

Hoping I can remove it without removing motor mount as well.

Thanks for your replies and thorough info in posts! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No prob.

Yeah. The tstat housing is a little easier to replace, from what I remember. The most difficult part was getting at the bolts for the oil cooler pipe, but you can do it with those tools I mentioned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed there was no o ring on the end of the oil cooler pipe that attaches to the tstat. You got yours from rock auto correct? Did you have to replace on both ends or just tstat end?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I noticed there was no o ring on the end of the oil cooler pipe that attaches to the tstat. You got yours from rock auto correct? Did you have to replace on both ends or just tstat end?
The o-ring might be sitting inside the old tstat housing. I just did the one end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was given the suggestion to get an upgraded oil cooler pipe with redesigned o-rings, which I did. Installed while exhaust manifold was off to get to oil cooler. I successfully replaced water pump and thermostat plus housing. So thank you for your help!

It was nice being able to do that water pump without removing engine mount. And those original pulley bolts do suck, will have to replace them if this ever comes off again, I know one of them is not going to hold the key wrench again.

Now on to my oil cooler mixing fluids after replacing gaskets xD.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts